Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Nov 1, 2010, 5:21 PM   #11

Except I don't think these point and shoots have true apertures of F11, they use some electronic trickery to 'simulate' that aperture in conjunction with the sensor. You are not going to get better sharpness on these Fuji's at F11, though you achieved an excellent image for the other reasons mentioned.
OnTheWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2010, 11:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie haskell View Post
Darker saturation I've found in bright lighting, helping to control blown elements. That help?
Actually, no...I asked the question because the aperture range on the HS10 is from f2.8 to f8...At least that's what it is on mine...I would love to have a wider range though.
sans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2010, 1:22 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sans View Post
...the aperture range on the HS10 is from f2.8 to f8...
Not so...

From Fujifilm USA: HS10 Specifications
Quote:
Aperture Wide: F2.8 / F11.0, Telephoto: F5.6 / F11.0
Source:
http://www.fujifilmusa.com/products/...ons/index.html

Or see pg 32 of HS10 pdf manual (Instructions for setting aperture
in manual mode - step number 3...)

Or do this...

>Put camera in "M" (Manual) mode

>Hold "EV" button (small button on left behind shutter) and rotate the
"Command" dial to choose aperture up to F11

This is the only way (I believe) to achieve F11 on the HS10...

Last edited by Wizzard0003; Nov 2, 2010 at 1:49 AM.
Wizzard0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2010, 4:43 AM   #14

Thank you Wizzard....That is really good to know....
sans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2010, 5:26 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie haskell View Post
I shoot exclusively M, so you've lost me in your description.
If you shoot in M, then you have full control over the aperture and shutter speed. You can theoretically set them to whatever you wish but you must pay attention to the exposure. in A/S/Ps (where Ps is program shift, which allows you to change the aperture while in P mode and the camera sets the shutter), as you change one value, the camera adjusts the other in a way to maintain proper exposure. So, say you set the camera to A mode with aperture value set to f5.6. Say that the camera tells you (when you half press the shutter release button) that it is choosing a shutter speed of 1/125 (let's also assume you have Ev set to 0 and a fixed ISO value...any value for the sake of this example). If you then change the aperture one full stop to f4.0, the camera will automatically increase the shutter speed to 1/250 (also a full stop) to compensate for the wider aperture. This combination will always be constant. If you then change the mode to M (under the same exact lighting conditions) and set the aperture to f4.0 and the shutter to 1/250, you should see the Ev right at 0. As soon as you change either value (A or S) up or down, since you are in M mode, the camera will not adjust the other value but it will instead increase or decrease the Ev accordingly. Basically the camera will be telling you...hey, with this combination of aperture and shutter speed, your image will be under or over exposed by THIS much.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote