Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Oct 30, 2010, 9:44 PM   #1

Default HS10 bottled water plant shot

eddie haskell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 31, 2010, 7:43 PM   #2

oh yeah nice one, I was expecting to see a 'factory' site.....that is one special place mate
Hazzbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2010, 7:50 PM   #3

I have a question..While looking at the exif data I noticed aperture f11...Whats up with that?
sans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2010, 8:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sans View Post
I have a question..While looking at the exif data I noticed aperture f11...Whats up with that?
Darker saturation I've found in bright lighting, helping to control blown elements. That help?
Old Nov 1, 2010, 12:06 AM   #5

F11 should also give greater DOF and possibly better edge/corner sharpness compared
to a smaller apperture, I would think... (?)

BTW, Eddie, very nice...!

Last edited by Wizzard0003; Nov 1, 2010 at 12:11 AM.
Wizzard0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2010, 9:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie haskell View Post
Darker saturation I've found in bright lighting, helping to control blown elements. That help?
The aperture does not have anything to do with highlight control. For that you need to work with the Exposure compensation. The shutter speed and aperture values maintain a constant ratio irregardless of the value chosen for one or another as long as you are shooting in P (with Program shift if available), Aperture or Shutter priority modes. In S mode for instance, as you increase the shutter speed, the camera decreases the Aperture proportionally. Of course ISO may also change under some conditions if set to AUTO.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2010, 11:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzard0003 View Post
F11 should also give greater DOF and possibly better edge/corner sharpness compared
to a smaller apperture, I would think... (?)

BTW, Eddie, very nice...!
Yes, I believe that is right too.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 12:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
The aperture does not have anything to do with highlight control. For that you need to work with the Exposure compensation. The shutter speed and aperture values maintain a constant ratio irregardless of the value chosen for one or another as long as you are shooting in P (with Program shift if available), Aperture or Shutter priority modes. In S mode for instance, as you increase the shutter speed, the camera decreases the Aperture proportionally. Of course ISO may also change under some conditions if set to AUTO.
I shoot exclusively M, so you've lost me in your description.
What I have found to be true with Fuji is they give a better, less noise, almost as if your painting something, and give it another coat of paint, deeper color penetration, covering the grain of the wood, etc....if you step your aperture down. I can't offer technical reasoning as you have, I'm just not that knowledgeable on all that linguistics, I just base it on shoot and compare, and go from there mentality
Old Nov 1, 2010, 12:20 PM   #9
Super Moderator

well, by stopping down, you effectively got a darker exposure, which was what basically tullio was getting at. and with an exposure erring on under versus over, you do get better color saturation, which fits with what you were seeing.

though for smaller sensor camera, you don't need to stop down that much, you will have plenty of depth of field at 5.6 or 7.1, then you can just darken your exposure by picking a shorter exposure time.

anyways, this is a very lovely shot. i love the mountain stream running up the hill and leading the eye into the scene and into the mountain top. this one belongs on display somewhere in your residence
Old Nov 1, 2010, 12:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
well, by stopping down, you effectively got a darker exposure, which was what basically tullio was getting at. and with an exposure erring on under versus over, you do get better color saturation, which fits with what you were seeing.

though for smaller sensor camera, you don't need to stop down that much, you will have plenty of depth of field at 5.6 or 7.1, then you can just darken your exposure by picking a shorter exposure time.

anyways, this is a very lovely shot. i love the mountain stream running up the hill and leading the eye into the scene and into the mountain top. this one belongs on display somewhere in your residence
OK....cool. I think I'm getting an understanding now where he was going with your help too!
When I have water in the composition, I want to be able to capture it in a manner that will give it some significance as well. Water by nature is clear and does not contrast well, by stepping down I can use a slower shutter speed and give the water some blurring which translates into more visibility in the frame. Of course if I'm too dark, I have to take actions to correct that, aperture or shutter speed, either will work, but again I find Fuji inherently captures saturation better through a smaller opening. I could be totally off on this and it could just be a figment of my imagination, but I've shot prolly 20,000 Fuji clicks, and I feel this is true.

Love and appreciate the exchange!