Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Nov 25, 2010, 11:00 PM   #1

Default S200EXR vs HS10

I'm considering upgrading to either the S200EXR or theHS10. I have at the moment a S2000HD & a S1800. I use the S1800 the most, and will be putting the S2000HD up on eBay this week, to partially finance the upgrade. I've read reviews on both cameras on Photography Bay, and the user reviews on Amazon. I don't need the 30x lens of the HS10, and would like the 12MP of the 200EXR, but I do like the idea of the flip-out LCD of the HS10. The price difference between either camera isn't much.

I guess my real question is: how often is the 30x zoom and/or the flip-out LCD actually used? Secondly, is the EXR sensor that much better in real world use?

Thanks in advance for any and all responses; I think I know which camera I want, but I'd like some owner imputs.

Frank
bluzfrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 26, 2010, 3:15 AM   #2

As someone has said in another thread, it's quality vs features. 200EXR is quality vs the feature packed HS10. I have the HS10 and as good as it is to have a 30x zoom, you need a really steady hand or a tripod to get clear shots at max zoom. It does have some cool features like high speed video

1000 FPS:

The macro is pretty awesome as well, you get normal macro and super macro for close ups of around 1cm. The tilt screen is handy, plenty of easy to reach buttons for setting adjustment. Motion panorama is good, just a long sweep and the camera does the rest. It's got 7 shot jpeg burst (6 raw) Zoom bracketing, AE bracketing, hot shoe for external flash, and the list goes on. Unfortunatly I have no experience with the 200EXR, but the shots I have seen are a lot sharper the the HS10. If only they had fitted an EXR sensor to the HS10 and they would have had a truly awesome camera!

Any thoughts for the S200EXR camp?
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2010, 3:21 AM   #3

I don't own either camera, but I do have experience of the EXR technology in the form of an F70EXR, so I can give you some information regarding your second question.

As you may know, the EXR sensor allows pairs of pixels to be operated in one of three ways:

1. Each pixel is separate from its partner. This gives you full resolution (12MP in the S200's case).

2. Each pixel belongs to one of 2 groups. Each group is exposed for a different length of time, and the camera uses the 2 resulting images to yield a single image with expanded dynamic range. This is at the expense of resolution, which is halved.

3. Pixel pairs are simply combined, effectively doubling the pixel size, and halving the resolution. This reduces image noise by about 30%.

The most interesting configuration is (2) above. This allows dynamic range expansion by up to 800%, or 3 stops, which is pretty significant. It's this feature alone which prompted me to buy the F70EXR, and I have to say I use it all the time, because of the exposure latitude it gives me. Sometimes, if you use an expansion setting which is inappropriately high, you may need to make adjustments in PP, but this is easy and enjoyable.

Now, in order to make use of the EXR sensor, you will have to operate at half resolution, i.e. 6MP. This sounds counter-productive, but you need to bear in mind that - even if the lens were perfect - diffraction will limit the sharpness of the image for resolutions beyond about 6MP anyway. The lens won't of course be perfect, so there's even more reason for not going beyond 6MP. (I never operate my F70 at full resolution.)

If you do decide on the S200, I would strongly recommend you read:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fu...-exr-cams.html

and follow Hards80's advice.

If I seem to be pro-S200, it's because I like my F70EXR, and also I was impressed with some S200 images here:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fu...ituations.html

But do bear in mind I know nothing about the HS10, and for all I know it may be the better camera - it certainly seems to have lots of nice features...
pentode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2010, 6:49 AM   #4

I'm in complete awe of my HS10 's features. There are so many impressive features on this camera which is perhaps its downfall.
My feeling is that the HS10 camera is too often compared to DSLR's which is simply not a fair comparison to make.

This is a 250.00 carry anywhere ,point n shoot bridge camera with some fantastic features and amazing .....zoom /macro/ super macro/ wide angle lens all built in .

You cannot expect the picture quality of other cameras that have to use expensive add -on lens.

I think we need to just appreciate the versatility and price of this amazing camera for what it is. If the picture quality matched the features I suspect the camera would cost more than twice as much

I am very pleased with it overall although I confess I have not yet used a fraction of its features. My only regret is that it doesn't capture the level of detail (like fine feathers)I would like to see on subjects like birds which is my primary subject.

I suspect that this is due to the camera's electronic processing attempting to compensate for camera shake at extreme zoom.

It would be interesting to see images without any camera processing.

Last edited by Earleybird; Nov 26, 2010 at 6:52 AM.
Earleybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2010, 6:56 AM   #5

Got some shots in my silly seagull thread, but these are jpeg shots. Not sure if it's what you are after. The high speed video is a cool idea but you need a lot of light to make it work at the higher speed. Still got a lot to learn on my HS10, so many options and settings on it that it's easy to get lost!

Processed RAW

Super Macro

Panorama

Last edited by Kenzie; Nov 26, 2010 at 7:06 AM.
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2010, 12:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluzfrek View Post
I'm considering upgrading to either the S200EXR or theHS10. I have at the moment a S2000HD & a S1800. I use the S1800 the most, and will be putting the S2000HD up on eBay this week, to partially finance the upgrade. I've read reviews on both cameras on Photography Bay, and the user reviews on Amazon. I don't need the 30x lens of the HS10, and would like the 12MP of the 200EXR, but I do like the idea of the flip-out LCD of the HS10. The price difference between either camera isn't much.

I guess my real question is: how often is the 30x zoom and/or the flip-out LCD actually used? Secondly, is the EXR sensor that much better in real world use?

Thanks in advance for any and all responses; I think I know which camera I want, but I'd like some owner imputs.

Frank
It will highly depend on your purpose of purchasing the cam, Frank.

If you like doing birding, jetting, wildlifing, mooning, and capturing such far objects, you will love the HS10. It has a killer 30x 24-720mm lens, plus easily attach a TC like the excellent Sony 1758 TC series, you get 1200some mm. Many of us here and out there are having fun using HS10+TC. Its image quality also quite great, especially the RAW. It has HD Video, plus high speed video. It has a lot of great features.

If you want a near DSLR image quality and high dynamic range, you may prefer the S200exr over the HS10, sacrificing the wide lens and zoom. But for daily use, s200exr's 30.5-436mm lens seems adequate.

Personally, having the HS10, I still want the S200Exr, but I won't let my HS10 go . Just like Kenzie, I feel the same. If only Fuji fitted the HS10 with larger and better sensor (like S100fs' or S200exr's), it would have been a superb cam.

Just check the many threads here about both cams, and also there at dpreview, with many samples of each. And hope you have a good time with your new cam...

Last edited by loekids; Nov 26, 2010 at 12:16 PM.
loekids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2010, 3:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluzfrek View Post

Frank

I came from a s3800 to a s2000hd and jumped to the s200exr.

between the s100fs, s200exr, hs10 here it goes

quality--------->in the middle------------>feature pack

s100fs---------> s200exr-----------------> hs10

The s100fs is quality at "fuji's best" bridge camera! you get a big sensor, less zoom capacity, compatible raw files with certain or all softwares.

The s200exr has a smaller sensor to achieve the more zoom capacity it offers, the EXR sensor if left in exr mode and set the auto exr, it basically becomes an auto camera where you don't need to fiddle with settings. I don't even use flash for indoors. The minus side to this is you use the proprietary battery which is not AA batteries, no flip screen. and exr raw files NOT compatible with many, many, softwares.

HS10, smallest sensor of the bunch and has noise if you zoom into the picture but overall its excellent. Uses a new breed of "backlit" sensor technology so colors are not "fuji like" if you are a "photophile" like myself, it will bother you alot! If not, pictures can be very pleasing. It is feature rich and you achieve the 30x zoom because of the smaller sensor behind it.

It's your choice. My choice was quick for the EXR auto mode. When I can't decide, I just leave it here like 90% of the time. If I was to go at it again, S100fs Hands down! I am satisfied with the s200exr though but sometimes the incomparability of the raw files gets to me!

Last edited by Cresho; Nov 26, 2010 at 4:24 PM.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2010, 3:21 PM   #8

What I like about the long lens of the HS10 isn't so much about the reach but rather
about the framing capability that the long lens provides...

This shot was taken at full zoom in macro mode (126mm = 720mm @ 35mm FOV)
The butterfly was about 8 feet or so off the trail in the blackberry bushes which were
in very swampy ground... Getting closer I would have had do sink up to my knees in
muck and would probably have also chased this subject away...

The HS10 is also very good at close-up and macro shots...

And it's a great camera to have if you should ever happen upon a UFO...

But I have seen MANY excellent images posted by those with S200EXR's as
well...

Last edited by Wizzard0003; Nov 26, 2010 at 4:30 PM.
Wizzard0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2010, 7:03 PM   #9

I have the HS10 and for what I do the 30x zoom comes in very handy when shooting fire and rescue stuff especially when their is fire involved. I don't find it really that hard to hand hold the camera at long zoom unless its in low light. I don't use the flip out screen much at all but do like the live view of the screen for times when I need to hold the camera away from my eyes like out a car window etc..........

I would not trade my HS10 fr any other Fuji camera currently on the market..... but thats my opinion and for what I do the HS10 gives me everything I need.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2010, 12:47 AM   #10

Default HS10 is a coulda, shoulda, woulda...

camera. Sensor is too small and Fuji tried to compensate by overprocessing. As a result, the camera, even with a very nice lens, is quite ordinary. The upside may be that Fuji will realize the successor to the HS10 will have to be a much better camera if they expect to sell more than a handful.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote