Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Dec 26, 2003, 10:40 PM   #1

Default A310, S3000, S5000 comparison questions

We are looking to buy a digital camera and it will be our first one. The 3 cameras we're considering right now are the A310, S3000, and S5000. We want a 3mp camera (don't plan on printing much above a 5x7 if we even print many!), and want something that can be easy enough for a 5 and 6 year old to use, yet take quality photos. We love to photograph our children, cats, and scenery. Currently, we have a Minolta SLR, but are looking for the immediate gratification of digital as well as something that can be used for those "spur of the moment" shots. Any advice? Thanks in advance!

P
learningsomethingnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 31, 2003, 10:38 AM   #2

There is a $85 difference in price between the 3000 and the 5000 as of the end of 2003.

I'm looking at the 3000 for a 'cheap' camera over the Minolta 7hi (over twice the price).

The big thing I have seen with these is the high compression that reduces image quality. Too bad there isn't a choice. The other thing are those ultra small and expensive (compaired to CF) XD cards.

I do like the larger LCD of the 3000 and the slightly better zoom button placement also.
videobruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2003, 4:30 PM   #3

Thanks for your input! We've added the Minolta DiMage Z1 to our list of cameras we're considering, so we'll just continue to try them out and see what we like the best. Thanks again!
learningsomethingnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2003, 6:13 PM   #4

Hi,

We bought S5000 for $302, no tax no shipping, from www.buydig.com back in Nov. 14, 2003.

This is a great camera for the price.
The picture quality on auto is great, and lots of features if you want to explore and grow.

Printing a 3megapixel shot on a Canon S530D Printer looks awesome, my wife couldn't tell any difference between it and her regular Kodak pictures developed from Costco. That's 4x6 and 8x10 printouts.

We've been taking lots of pictures, cause I'm just a regular point-n-shoot guy.

The batteries last longer than competition's check this site......go to Battery Life Chart

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilms5000/page8.asp

I just bought a 256mb XD card from Fry's $99 - 25rebate last week.

A month or so ago, I was in the same situation, so many choices, so many competition. Minolta Dimage, Canon, Sony, Olympus, Fujifilm. We came down to Fujifilm's S5000 for the....
-price
-features
-tiny for a 10X Zoom and easy to hold,
-battery life
-image quality which can do 6 megapixel(people will argue endlessly) but it's there if you want to use it.
-can take RAW, it's there if you want to use it,
-all these for $302, wow you can't go wrong.

well we're happy, we have some pictures at

http://vnox.fotopic.net

Pictures were mostly taken with 3 and 6 megapixels but resized to 1024x768 for web viewing.

If you want to print, print with the original file not resized file.

good luck,
Vic
vnox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2003, 6:20 PM   #5

My son has the S5000 and it is a very good camera. You can check pricing at www.shopping.com.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2004, 9:27 AM   #6

Any one with a 3000????
videobruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2004, 10:59 AM   #7

The s5000 has a great movie mode with sound unlike the s3000. It is nice for a quick capture. The s3000 in my opinion is a bad choice since the s5000 has many more features and can be purchased for $300. I sold my 5mp Sony p-10 for the S5000 and have not been sorry at all. The S5000 takes fantastic phots, is easy to use, runs forever with the low power consuming xd card. It is a great buy. Also............be sure and look at the Z1 review and read the questions in the forum (not too impressive).
Goofas is offline   Reply With Quote