Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Dec 10, 2010, 1:08 AM   #1

Default HS10 is NOT a DSLR, but 30x zoom is incredible

I've seen reviewers call this camera a mini-DSLR - it's not. It's a fixed-lens bridge camera with a small image sensor and a simply incredible 30x OPTICAL zoom ( Fuji HS10 zoom capabilities can be try at: http://fuji-hs10.blogspot.com/ ), period - there's no mirror to get out of the way as a DSLR would have nor interchangeable lenses. Now that the nomenclature is out of the way - it's a VERY GOOD bridge camera with excellent lens sharpness, vivid color reproduction and overall quite good image quality up to ISO 800 (which is very good for this category of camera). I've taken over 1400 hundred images with mine thus far, and have been extremely pleased with the unit overall. The image stabilization is surprisingly good (a necessity if you're fully racked out without a tripod!!) and I don't really have a quarrel with battery life, unlike many posters here; I've updated the camera with both firmware updates (one of which addressed the issue with the battery warning light coming on too soon) and I get about the same usage out of a set of Eneloops with this camera as I do with its predecessor, an Olympus Sp570UZ (also a very good bridge camera with a 20x zoom). Frankly I've never really counted the shots, but I did get something like 300+ images (many of which involved the onboard flash) in one afternoon's shoot before the battery light came on. You can usually get another 30-40 shots before the camera shuts down when that light kicks in.
karl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 10, 2010, 5:50 AM   #2

You won't get any argument from me. The "problem" that folks have with the HS-10 is that it has to be learned. People don't want to take the time it requires to learn how to use it and therefore, write it off. The other problem they have with it is that it has no printed manual. I know that sounds trite and, to me, doesn't make sense that they somehow think it detracts from the camera... but, they do. There's been TONS written about this camera on here and other places. There seems to be no middle ground - you either love it or hate it.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 8:28 AM   #3

Given the images I've seen from the HS10, its zoom range and manual control options - and the fact that it can be had for $359 these days - there's no reason not to buy the HS10 if one is in the market for a superzoom bridge camera.

Of course, one will discover the camera's limitations in low light, but that's to be expected with its small sensor and that's not what one buys this camera for.

I used to almost automatically point people to Panasonic's FZ series. But now that that tiny sensor has 14 megapixels, I'm not so sure. The photos from the HS10 speak for themselves.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 11:16 AM   #4

@Biro, I have not faced any issues with low light capabilities of HS10.
The Pro-Low light mode works out very nice in dark places without any sun light.

The only issue I see with HS10 is its video capability. Somehow the video is not as smooth as it used to be in other cameras. May be, as Gary said, I am yet to learn about it !!!
sharat_joshi77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 11:30 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharat_joshi77 View Post
@Biro, I have not faced any issues with low light capabilities of HS10.
The Pro-Low light mode works out very nice in dark places without any sun light.

The only issue I see with HS10 is its video capability. Somehow the video is not as smooth as it used to be in other cameras. May be, as Gary said, I am yet to learn about it !!!
Could be but, to be honest, I don't use a camera that's designed to shoot stills for a video camera and expect to get top quality video results.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 11:57 AM   #6

I agree that most people write off the HS10 before they even pick it up and try it for themselves. Theres is A LOT of features to learn on it, so many in fact that I forgot there was an advanced mode on the dial and that they could be sub-set into useful modes like snow! Yes it LOOKS and feels like a DSLR with it manual barrell but it's not. Until people get over that fact then they will continue to miss out on a really great box of tricks!

Oh, and the manuals do exist if anyone ask Fuji for one.

Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2010, 10:51 AM   #7

I don't have a problem with the content of the review that Karl2 posted. I DO have a problem with the fact that it's not his review. I posted this on August 30, 2010 on Amazon.com's review page of the HS10 (http://amzn.to/ieYk6B) . You'll see my review as "A. McCullough". Karl2 even copied the part where I mention my other long-zoom camera, the Olympus SP570.

I firmly stand by my commentary as I wrote it last August as my opinion of the HS10 has continued to grow. I DO take offense to my words being passed off as someone else's. This person has also posted my review elsewhere on other forums. IF Karl2 actually owns the HS10, I would much rather he post a review of it in HIS OWN words. I suppose I should be flattered that he evidently thinks enough of my review to spread it around, though
AnniM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2010, 4:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnniM View Post
I don't have a problem with the content of the review that Karl2 posted. I DO have a problem with the fact that it's not his review. I posted this on August 30, 2010 on Amazon.com's review page of the HS10 (http://amzn.to/ieYk6B) . You'll see my review as "A. McCullough". Karl2 even copied the part where I mention my other long-zoom camera, the Olympus SP570.

I firmly stand by my commentary as I wrote it last August as my opinion of the HS10 has continued to grow. I DO take offense to my words being passed off as someone else's. This person has also posted my review elsewhere on other forums. IF Karl2 actually owns the HS10, I would much rather he post a review of it in HIS OWN words. I suppose I should be flattered that he evidently thinks enough of my review to spread it around, though
It's kind of funny, but I imagine annoying. And flattering at the same time. People on the internet are funny.
OnTheWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2010, 8:23 PM   #9

Perhaps he has ADD......ATTENTION deficit disorder
eddie haskell is offline   Reply With Quote