Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Dec 27, 2010, 7:12 PM   #11

We can't expect everybody to agree on everything...ever. Tragedies in life have been documented through the centuries, whether involving wild animals, pets, people or even plants (the coverage of the devastation of the South America rain forest comes to mind). There are hundreds (if not thousands) of hours documenting the killing of thousands of innocent soldiers in action in various wars through time...and we watch that. Thank God those documentaries exist as if it wasn't for them, the world would not believe the Holocaust ever happened.

This is a photography forum and as such, I think posts should be judged based on the artistic aspect of it and not necessarily on the subject per se. The subject is part of it but whether it's a flower or a dead animal it should make no difference.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2010, 8:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
We can't expect everybody to agree on everything...ever. Tragedies in life have been documented through the centuries, whether involving wild animals, pets, people or even plants (the coverage of the devastation of the South America rain forest comes to mind). There are hundreds (if not thousands) of hours documenting the killing of thousands of innocent soldiers in action in various wars through time...and we watch that. Thank God those documentaries exist as if it wasn't for them, the world would not believe the Holocaust ever happened.

This is a photography forum and as such, I think posts should be judged based on the artistic aspect of it and not necessarily on the subject per se. The subject is part of it but whether it's a flower or a dead animal it should make no difference.
That pretty much sums it up in a nutshell, T.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2010, 10:05 PM   #13

Quote:

Thanks for getting the proper perspective back on track. So many times life gets in the way of simple pleasures and joy. BRAVO, well spoke!
eddie haskell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2010, 11:49 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
Fluffy, the Siamese cat made a bad career move by running in front of a car this morning. However, these vultures look at it from a much different perspective! Shot with the HS-10 w/TCON17 at a range of about 500 yards.

Dining vultures

Fluffy's mom comes the rescue. Better late than never, I guess. This video picks up after she has scattered the buzzards and gone to the trunk for a plastic bag.

Fluffy's mom
.Even if this was a joke its in poor taste and obviously going to be offensive.

I assume that you are of school age which might account for your lack of taste and sensitivity. I for one am unlikely to post back on this forum again.
Earleybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2010, 11:57 AM   #15

Quote:

this is clearly misguided and completly irrelevant anyway.

The point that you carefully avoid dealing with is the question of sensitivity to other forum users.

The objection is not necessarily with the choice of images (although I feel they were ill-chosen) the offensive part is the comments that were deliberatly put with the images which were insensitive and offensive.

Anyone that uses the Holocaust as an analogy to augment their argument is clearly insensitive and offensive.

I hope that other forum members on here have the backbone to stand up to you two misguided individuals and a moderator removes the offensive text.

Last edited by Earleybird; Dec 30, 2010 at 12:03 PM.
Earleybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2010, 12:38 PM   #16

Earlybird......some have stepped up, and shared their thoughts on the matter, and that's a good thing. Life experiences always have at least two perspective, and I know I can't accept or understand both (or all) of them. If I try and force my belief/views on them, is it not intellectually fair for me to extend to them the same right?
I believe the worse outcome to debate is censorship, then its he who has the most power wins that struggle....

I hope you stick around and post things of interest to you, by doing so you "teach" us in a manner that enlightens, instead of shames .....ok?
eddie haskell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2010, 1:19 PM   #17

Well, I suppose if you can't bring people to agree with you in one fashion, insulting them is a good alternative. And, I suppose if people don't agree with your viewpoint, you could just blow them off as irrelevant. Insensitive? Possibly. "Offensive" is a term that is heavily overused by the politically correct crowd and is becoming almost irrelevant.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2010, 1:29 PM   #18

Earlybird,

It is certainly your choice to leave. I might suggest that the comment about the hollocaust is not offensive - it is very accurate to me in that without photographic evidence the impact of such an event would be lost. Photos of the survivors and those that were massacred, as well as video, are a painful but I think necessary mode to convey what happened.

While people might disagree on whether or not they like the video the OP took, I don't see that it rises to a level where it should be banned. It is far less graphic than images you will see form people on safari with a large cat and it's prey or even birders showing phpotos of raptors with their kill. I love animals too - but you can choose NOT to view a disturbing video once you have been warned. But suggesting the site should cesnor it is too much in my opinion. Everything should be a case by case basis. But I don't see anything here in written form or photographic that requires cesnoring.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2010, 7:29 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earleybird View Post
Anyone that uses the Holocaust as an analogy to augment their argument is clearly insensitive and offensive.
Oh dear...the word of the wise!

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2010, 11:49 AM   #20

I can't be quiet anymore, and at the risk of being banned I will just say that I'm a big believer in free speech, though it may offend some. Forty years ago I wrote this country a blank check payable with my life, if necessary,to defend our constitution, so it infuriates me when people, or a government seeks to squelch the right to express, simply because it offends someone. To those who found Gary's post offensive, I say, Get over yourselves, you can't always have it your way. And by the way, I found his post somewhat disturbing. What if it had been a white German Shepherd? I took that into account, and if I were still wearing my uniform, I would put my life "on the line" again to defend his right to freely express himself.

Sorry for the rant, I can't stand "political correctness".

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote