Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Dec 24, 2010, 6:17 PM   #1

Default Not for the squeamish!

Fluffy, the Siamese cat made a bad career move by running in front of a car this morning. However, these vultures look at it from a much different perspective! Shot with the HS-10 w/TCON17 at a range of about 500 yards.

Dining vultures

Fluffy's mom comes the rescue. Better late than never, I guess. This video picks up after she has scattered the buzzards and gone to the trunk for a plastic bag.

Fluffy's mom
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 25, 2010, 5:35 AM   #2

I'm sorry, it's fair enough taking shots of the birds, but it's a dead cat... Then to top it off you post a vid of it on Youtube. I know what your title said, but still, you could have shown a little respect.
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2010, 11:14 AM   #3

no offense but this is not cool.........there are a ton of cat lovers on this forum and yes i know i should have not looked if i did not want to see, but change the title maybe so someone who does not like looking at crud like this can choose to pass by instead of thinking OOOHH its Christmas ill look at this not for the squeamish title thinking its someone jamming a crap load of food in their gullet..........
bryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2010, 11:34 AM   #4

IMO, the HS10 + TCON did not work too well here. The image lacks resolution and crispiness (it looks OOF actually) and it also looks like a severe amount of noise reduction has been applied. Not one of your best...sorry.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2010, 8:02 AM   #5

Perhaps, I should have stated my intent in showing these. It certainly was not to draw the vitriolic statements of folks. It was to show that in the animal world nothing is wasted. These are black vultures and the first I'd seen in an area normally inhabited by turkey vultures

Your statement puts me in mind of a statement made by a passenger on the tube during a strike while I was on embassy duty in London. The incident took place on the heels of the "Hillsborough soccer disaster" as it was then named. The car was absolutely packed yet at every stop along the way more and more people tried to embark. At one point, a passenger that was standing close to me said, "This is like a Hillsborough Tube Car!". A passenger standing close to him said, "That was not funny, young man. I'll thank you to have a little more respect for the dead." To which he responded, "Madam, if those people would have had more respect for the living, we would not have the dead that you seem to revere." Point made. I never forgot that incident, obviously.

My point in telling of this incident is this: If the owner of that cat would have had acted responsibly and taken care of that cat while it was living, he/she would not have a dead cat to grieve. Your anger and vitriol should be directed at him/her.

I know these are not of the best quality. They are not show pieces but merely a "documentary" of how in God's world nothing is wasted... unlike in Man's little sphere.
My Gallery

--
Old Dec 26, 2010, 10:01 AM   #6

Im glad you posted the video because the photo alone just looks like its in someone's back yard. I dont see any evidence of a road and wondered how the body got into the back yard. The video shows the cars and where the road is and it then all made sense. Like us, those birds eat meat. I suppose if we personally knew that cow on the table we would be less likely to eat that one. But it would then have to be one we didn't know. Your post was an interesting documentary of life in the works. Thanks. And for your critics, why get angry at the photographer? You should be angry at the cat's owner who is responsible for the cat getting hit. Also this is an interesting situation. Cat lovers don't like the image because its too graphic. What about the feelings of bird lovers. They are getting to watch their creatures enjoy a good meal.

Last edited by Bynx; Dec 26, 2010 at 1:12 PM.
Bynx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2010, 12:14 PM   #7

It was plainly obvious to me from the description what the video's were
going to be about... I suppose Gary could have been more forceful in
indicating that it was "Intensely Graphic" but to me that's like someone
suing McDonald's because they didn't print a warning on the coffee cup
that said that the coffee was "Hot"...

I've been a cat lover for most of my life and think of my cats as family,
even like children, but don't think it's fair to "Shoot the Messenger" if
I choose to view the content...

Regarding that content, I'll admit that I found it sad and hard to view
but the Vultures are God's creatures too and, like all of us, need to eat...
They in turn will someday die and in kind be eaten too, as well as every
living creature alive at this moment, including everyone reading this post...

The HS10 did pretty good regarding that video especially since the lens
with the TC was at an equivellent of over 1200mm @35mm FOV...

Last edited by Wizzard0003; Dec 26, 2010 at 1:04 PM.
Wizzard0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2010, 4:32 AM   #8

I think it is because people hold their pets in such high regard, if it had been a fox or some other wild animal I don't think anything would have been said. It's the fact that it was an animal that someone loved and cared for that is a bit disrespectful.
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2010, 8:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenzie View Post
I think it is because people hold their pets in such high regard, if it had been a fox or some other wild animal I don't think anything would have been said. It's the fact that it was an animal that someone loved and cared for that is a bit disrespectful.
As I stated, if that someone would have been more responsible and caring, they would not be grieving their pet. The owner is the one that showed disrespect and irresponsibility by not caring enough to keep their beloved animal within the confines of a safe environment. I'm sure the owner learned a difficult lesson seeing those vultures gathered about her pet and will exercise due care and responsibility henceforth.
My Gallery

--
Old Dec 27, 2010, 3:32 PM   #10

Do I dare......yes I do.
Bynx makes a great point. I happened to drive by a rather large truck that was parked just inside the pasture. I glanced over as my truck came even with it, an lo....I almost chucked everything in my belly. Living in a rural environment is rather new to me....I never gave pause to consider the sequence my hamburger took to get to my bun. When I saw the open slaughter of cattle (they used a stick I now know, that is charged with a shotgun shell, to the head) actively being killed, and dead ones lying about, it had an effect on me that brought all sorts of emotions into play. Folk here hunt too, in the open, I have seen the taking of deer and other game, but that, like fishing that I do, doesn't effect me as such. I don't hunt, that's just not me, but I don't begrudge those who do.
Now....I'm sorry if this offends anyone, I don't offer this in that vein, but with the hope of us as a civilized society, why do we kill babies in the womb for convenient?
Why are we forbidden to freely show photographs in the spirit of educating the effects of this behavior?
A cat upsets us, of course, we are caring and compassionate creations, but why is not that emotions magnified 100 fold when it comes to a beating heart of an innocent baby, why?
eddie haskell is offline   Reply With Quote