Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jan 7, 2011, 9:48 AM   #11

Default Hs10

I have owned the HS10 and Love it as well as my Nikon D5000. I look forward to seeing the reviews on the HS20 and will probably buy it because of the upgrades.
Like some i still have a lot to learn about my HS10, but im a huge Fuji and Nikon fan, what can i say.
Rich.
RichK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2011, 10:48 AM   #12

I have to say, when I seen the preview for the HS10, I was exstatic. I still have yet to buy one, though. They're not in stores around here. I'm in the process of replacing my previouse cameras (fuji s1500, canon rebel k2). Both were ruined. I've been torn between the HS10 or Canon T1I. I can't afford both. The only thing that kept me from the HS10 what the megapixels but now that HS20 is 16 mp, I'm leaning toward that one for now, then buying the T1I. later. Which is better for an ameature photographer? I'm open to any thoughts.
photogirl06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2011, 11:31 AM   #13

Photogirl-

IMHO, The Canon T1i is clearly the better choice between the two cameras. You will use it for a longer time and have more lens flexibility and choices, as well as the T1i being more ISO capable.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2011, 1:25 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenzie View Post
Has it still not arrived yet? Seems the sensor in the HS20 is a fusion of the BSI and EXR sensor, no one seems to have tested it yet. Pretty much same spec as HS10 but with improved display and better hotshoe controls.Some website claimed the HS10 didn't have high speed vid.

By the way, is there a section in the forum for photos taken with camera phones?

Nope....not yet.

As to photogirl. Of course a camera that you can change the lens on will give you much more possibilities, but it comes at a cost. Lens of quality cost a lot, you need to decide if that is an expense you want right now. Myself, I feel I still need a bridge camera, to really understand the finer relationships of photography. Once I feel I have that established, I believe I'll have what I need to start investing in that expensive gear. I see people with 1000 of dollars worth of gear, and my pictures are better, for they think the camera makes the difference. At this elevation (amateur) I think the difference is beyond most peoples ability to really discern. You get a lot of reciting, but very few who really understand. Watch the hype, decide for yourself, for you have to be comfortable with your camera, its like an extension of yourself, like a brush is to a painter.
eddie haskell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2011, 9:32 PM   #15

what were the pros and cons of the hs10?
photogirl06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2011, 11:35 PM   #16

This is based on my experience with the camera after taking 26,000 photos with it. Got it in early May 2010 and just bought another one last week as a spare. I will admit I also use an Olympus SW1050 from time to time. I am a semi-pro level photographer. I do fire-rescue type photo work as well as stuff for local newspaper. I do a little sports photography but that is not my area of interest or specialty.

HS10 takes very good pictures in y opinion and the opinion of the newspaper staff. But I will be honest you need to learn to use the camera to get the most out of it. I don;t feel its a good starter camera or one for someone who will just set it on auto and leave it on auto. I would rate this camera for advance amateurs or even semi-pros. Its got manual mode and load of other modes and settings....... For me it came down to the fact I had a D-SLR and changing lenses caused several issues for me (I had a Sony D-SLR body) that had repeated dust issues, got a little bit of water into the sensor and had it repaired but never worked the same again and then the AF didn't work. I actually had an entire days worth of picture look like they were ok on the camera and then had everyone out of focus and messed up. I almost lost my newspaper job and then got hooked into the fuji HS10 via some videos I saw on Youtube. The D-SLR would have been great for me (and for a while it was the greatest thing I had ever used -- also have used in the past Fuji S5200m, Fuji S9100, Olympus 10x zoom cameras at 2 and 4mp and my first camera the Panasonic Superdisc camera with 1.3MPs and the 120MB floppy disc) if I could have had just one lens on it 24-7 and never changed lenses....... I found out after 14 months that for some of us a camera with a built in lens is the best way to go (especially for the way I work) and since I am a semi-pro I needed a really good camera with good zoom for fire rescue stuff. Enter the Fuji H10. You can use a hot shoe flash on it if needed, has a built in pop up flash as well. Uses AA batteries vs a battery pack like some cmaeras and D-SLRs seem to use. I use eneloops in the camera and they last forever. In fact I only carry three spare sets in my bag and have never ever even on a 5 days vacation trip run out out of power. Usually I can do any photo assignment I get with just one set of batteries. The camera works best with a class 6 SDHC card for lest amount of shutter lag and write time (class 4 has the slow write time syndrome. I have not found the write times excessive on my camera like others are saying when using a class 6 card.

The cons are in low light you really need to use the flash to get great pictures; it is not really a great action sports camera (although you can get single frames of football, baseball, softball that look good with it; it doesn't have a continuous fps burst mode of more than one second (i.e. it takes 8fps and saves 7 of them......)

If I was designing the HS20 I would give it a better low light mode and have it do 3fps till the card was full or for at least 10 seconds in a row.

As of last week the best deal going I found on n HS10 was at bhphotovideo and also bhphotovideo for getting a 16GB class 6 or class 10 transcend SDHC card to go in it. As for the eneloops I got mine at thomasdistributing.com over a year ago. Still going strong.

Hope this helps

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2011, 11:37 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky2505 View Post
You're right. I misunderstood in the quick read through I did on dpreview before starting this thread. What a colossal flop the HS20 will be if Fuji hasn't addressed slow write times!
What speed of card are you using in your Fuji HS10? Slow write times

Yeah I can see slow write times if you use RAW mode.........

dave
Old Jan 8, 2011, 8:50 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo 5 View Post
What speed of card are you using in your Fuji HS10? Slow write times

Yeah I can see slow write times if you use RAW mode.........

dave
8 GB Fuji SDHC Class 6
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2011, 11:10 PM   #19

I have used both an Adata 16GB class 6 SDHC and Transcend 16GB SDHC Class 10 and never considered my camera to have slow write times. I find that the buffer on the HS10 seems to be the same with a class 6 and class 10 cards........ I did use a transcend class 4 and class 6 8GB micro in full size SDHC adapter and found those to be "slightly" slower. When I switched to a straight SDHC card without adapter have had no issues since. Still have the 8GB micro card and adapter as a spare with the 2 16GB cards.

dave

dave
Old Jan 9, 2011, 1:18 PM   #20

As for "speed" for the comming HS20, it should be no more than normal that it is faster than its brother the HS10, the HS20 has an EXR chip wich operates with a double cpu, so writing times will be faster also, how fast is not clear yet.

i have sold my ( 2nd) HS10 a few days ago , and now i will wait and see what the HS20 brings... I hope it has such a good lens as my second one, wich was much sharper at the end than the first HS10 i owned.

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/dig...nepix_hs20exr/

grtz

Last edited by sprint; Jan 11, 2011 at 12:29 PM.
sprint is offline   Reply With Quote