Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jan 5, 2011, 1:51 AM   #1

Default HS20 announced

Fuji listened. This looks to be what the HS10 should have been. I'll reserve final judgment until I see some reviews or get to play with one, but it seems that most of the complaints about the HS10 have been addressed, even some of the niggling ones such as including a lens hood with the camera. I don't know yet if Fuji will provide a hard copy owner's manual with the HS20; but slow write times have been addressed, and the flash housing has been shortened to give better access to the zoom ring. Best of all, a new EXR sensor is used. Anyone who wants an HS10 will probably be able to get one dirt cheap real soon. If the HS20 delivers on only half the promise of its specs, it will make the HS10 look like a turd dipped in crap.

Of course, the marketing guys won some battles, too. Why 16 MP, Fuji? Who needs more resolution?

Last edited by lucky2505; Jan 5, 2011 at 2:58 AM.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 5, 2011, 1:06 PM   #2

It's a bit annoying when they do stuff like this, couldn't they have just out more effort into the HS10? I think I'll stick with mine until it dies. Still got plenty of things to learn with my HS10, don't think I have even scratched the surface with it!
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2011, 1:30 PM   #3

Default Judging by the HS20 posts on dpreview,

it doesn't look like there are going to be a lot of early adopters. There isn't anywhere near the same enthusiasm that greeted the HS10 at its introduction. Too many people who rushed out to buy that one soon regretted it so it seems the HS20 is going to have to prove itself before most people buy one.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 1:35 PM   #4

I must admit I was lured by the 30x on the HS10. I read about the HS20 that the increased pixel count may reduce the benefit of the EXR sensor anyway. They have done some good things like reduce the flash length, but without getting any further details, it's just an HS10 with an EXR sensor!
Old Jan 5, 2011, 1:44 PM   #5

As with all technological based product, you have to constantly evolve upward, if you're to be successful. Most of the money being invested by camera manufacturers on R & D is going to the P & S market, that is where big number sales are at. Even DSLR's have incorporated some of that market into their units, the LCD screen being just one, but the money in that market is in the accessories.

We'll never have the perfect camera, as it is always changing....so waiting for it, is useless, and rapping old product is just like Monday morning quarterbacking....anybody can do it, yet it changes the outcome not, a waste of time.

Personally, I have a least another year to train on this camera, and then I'll pass it on to another to love, like I did my S700, or keep it in the car or boat, to get those shots that you miss cuz you don't want to drag your camera around.

Fuji....if you read these forums, until all us dinosaurs die off, you must offer a paper bound manual with the camera....you constantly try to improve your cameras to be more user friendly (easier to use) why neglect the most obvious tool?
eddie haskell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2011, 1:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie haskell View Post

Fuji....if you read these forums, until all us dinosaurs die off, you must offer a paper bound manual with the camera....you constantly try to improve your cameras to be more user friendly (easier to use) why neglect the most obvious tool?
Has it still not arrived yet? Seems the sensor in the HS20 is a fusion of the BSI and EXR sensor, no one seems to have tested it yet. Pretty much same spec as HS10 but with improved display and better hotshoe controls.Some website claimed the HS10 didn't have high speed vid.

By the way, is there a section in the forum for photos taken with camera phones?

Last edited by Kenzie; Jan 5, 2011 at 1:49 PM.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 12:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky2505 View Post
Fuji listened. This looks to be what the HS10 should have been. I'll reserve final judgment until I see some reviews or get to play with one, but it seems that most of the complaints about the HS10 have been addressed, even some of the niggling ones such as including a lens hood with the camera. I don't know yet if Fuji will provide a hard copy owner's manual with the HS20; but slow write times have been addressed,

Fuji makes NO claims that write times have been sped up. None. What Fuji states is that the HS20 shoots faster, as in captures images faster. There is no claim or data to support such a claim that write times are any faster.

You'd think that they would scream loud and long that write times were sped up since that is close to being the #1 complaint about the HS10. But nothing from Fuji.
RattyMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 1:35 AM   #8

It feels a bit like the launch of the iPhone 4, everyone is a bit like "meh" at it. Just another attempt to squeeze some more cash out of us!
Old Jan 6, 2011, 9:58 AM   #9

and I just bought a spare HS10 cause I love my HS10 so much and they come out with a replacement the next day..... oh well I for one think the HS10 is a really good camera in the hands of a really good photographer or one who wants to learn how to best use it for what they need.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2011, 12:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
Fuji makes NO claims that write times have been sped up. None. What Fuji states is that the HS20 shoots faster, as in captures images faster. There is no claim or data to support such a claim that write times are any faster.

You'd think that they would scream loud and long that write times were sped up since that is close to being the #1 complaint about the HS10. But nothing from Fuji.
You're right. I misunderstood in the quick read through I did on dpreview before starting this thread. What a colossal flop the HS20 will be if Fuji hasn't addressed slow write times!