Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jan 17, 2011, 9:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauxtronic View Post
/delurk

I was just researching the HGD1758 with a view to attaching it to my HS10, and you've got me wondering if it's a good idea to attach such weight to its extended lens. Are you confident it will cause no problems with yours? The HS10's lens seems easily pushed back by very little pressure to me, so my other concern is that when it's fixed to a tripod, pointed upward at the moon, the weight of the HGD1758 might very be slowly, barely noticeably, retracting the zoom. Am I worrying about nothing here? I hope so.

Fantastic pictures of the moon by the way!
Thanks.
Yes. It is something to worry. I never use the HS10+HGD1758 on a tripod. LOL. It's just too heavy. I was suggested to put a support to the HGD1758, maybe a second tripod, monopod, lens support, or something attached to the main tripod. Without support, I always hold the lens on first end of the HGD1758 and make burst shots. Like this moon shot, the moon was just straight up over my head, I'm not sure if any tripod will help, because the weight of HGD1758 will retract the zoom to the wide end, as you said. BTW, you may try the Sony DH1758, it is smaller, lighter and cheaper also.

Last edited by loekids; Jan 17, 2011 at 9:59 PM.
loekids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2011, 3:54 PM   #12

Been out playing again tonight really pleased with the outcome, its been through adobe lightroom afterwards to enhance the darker areas.
Attached Images

AdamSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2011, 7:05 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by loekids View Post
Thanks.
Yes. It is something to worry. I never use the HS10+HGD1758 on a tripod. LOL. It's just too heavy. I was suggested to put a support to the HGD1758, maybe a second tripod, monopod, lens support, or something attached to the main tripod. Without support, I always hold the lens on first end of the HGD1758 and make burst shots. Like this moon shot, the moon was just straight up over my head, I'm not sure if any tripod will help, because the weight of HGD1758 will retract the zoom to the wide end, as you said. BTW, you may try the Sony DH1758, it is smaller, lighter and cheaper also.
Thank you so much the tip! I went out and got the DH1758, and so far I'm impressed by how light it is, and also the few shots I've managed to take so far. This helicopter picture sure wouldn't have been possible without it. It was too foggy to get an pictures of the moon from my location last night.
fauxtronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2011, 9:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauxtronic View Post
Thank you so much the tip! I went out and got the DH1758, and so far I'm impressed by how light it is, and also the few shots I've managed to take so far. This helicopter picture sure wouldn't have been possible without it. It was too foggy to get an pictures of the moon from my location last night.
Glad you happy and have fun with your cam.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 9:40 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamSi View Post
Been out playing again tonight really pleased with the outcome, its been through adobe lightroom afterwards to enhance the darker areas.
Interesting PP done, AdamSi. Nice shot too...
Old Jan 22, 2011, 1:51 AM   #16

Thank you Loekids just realised it has no exif data in upload ? heres the flickr link if anyone wanted to check http://www.flickr.com/photos/7825967...n/photostream/
AdamSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2011, 1:53 PM   #17

The HS10 does a pretty neat job even without the tcon! How does the tcon improve the shot by the way? Never used on so unsure.

Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2011, 6:17 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenzie View Post
The HS10 does a pretty neat job even without the tcon! How does the tcon improve the shot by the way? Never used on so unsure.
Well you're zooming in closer, so it should be possible to get higher resolution and detail.

Here's a pic I took without a t/c lens:

And here's one I took *with* a t/c lens:

ETA: Sorry for the necro. I was just reminded of this thread by a link in my Flickr referrer log.
fauxtronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2011, 9:42 AM   #19

For those that asked, here's one with the flash on. A little to strong but I didn't have another planet close enough to bounce it off of.
Eric
Attached Images

eharrim is offline   Reply With Quote