Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jan 13, 2011, 7:42 AM   #1

Default Fuji s2800hd problem

Greetings,

I recieved fuji s2800hd for christmas, and I am very disapointed with it's performance on pictures with ISO 200 and above. My previous camera was Canon A720 and it's noise was way lower than on this camera. I would even say that canon's noise with ISO 400 was way lower than the noise on fuji's camera at ISO 200....

This is the effect that I'm getting on my photos: http://www.2shared.com/photo/za7Pjujc/ISO_200.html

Is this normal on this camera or is there any problem with it's sensor?

Thanks in advance for your answer
alexpalves is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 13, 2011, 10:22 AM   #2

alex-

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but yes, that is the typical performance of that camera. The inexpensive S series began as a stripped down S-8000/S8100 camera. They are what the industry calls "price cameras." The low price, high zoom and the HD video gains a lot of attention. I am sorry to say that the camera is not as good as the hype.

Here are your options:

(1) Try a warranty exchange, as the camera is still quite new. There is the possibility that you have an imager problem. Though your sample photo is pretty typical.

(2) Use "noise-ware." That is software designed to reduce the appearance of noise in your photos. An example is Neat Image who has a free download.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2011, 11:20 PM   #3

that noise you are showing us is JPEG compression! Set it to fine!!!!!
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2011, 11:22 PM   #4

also, use p setting and force max auto 200 iso. see if you like!
Old Jan 14, 2011, 9:28 AM   #5

My settings are all set to the maximum possible. That photo was taken with "fine". Besides, without zooming the image,it looks like it was submited to a photoshop effect to make it look like a painting...
Old Jan 14, 2011, 10:31 AM   #6
Administrator

Can you upload the original image to there? I take it that image is a crop.

That looks more like jpeg compression artifacts (or perhaps interpolation artifacts) to my eyes, too.

Are you sure you didn't resize a crop to larger size before uploading it (adding interpolation artifacts)?

How about digital zoom? Are you sure it's turned off?

If not (you used digital zoom), the camera is going to crop the image captured by the sensor (remove the outside edges), then enlarge it back to the original dimensions (adding pixels that were not captured by the camera using interpolation techniques by looking at values from adjacent pixels). That's the way it works with most cameras. IOW, Digital Zoom degrades image quality with most cameras. Don't use it.

Instead, just crop the photo using an editor later so you'll have more control over that process. Then enlarge it if needed (keeping in mind that enlarging it will degrade quality if you're not using very good software and enlarging it conservatively).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2011, 5:25 PM   #7

That image was a crop indeed.

I have one here. I know it's dark, but you can see the effect that I'm talking about: http://www.2shared.com/photo/R1FEZzMC/DSCF2169.html .

Do you see all the noise? Is this noise in this camera with ISO 200? Do you see all the spots in the wall?

Thanks for all your help.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 1:50 AM   #8

i still see lots of jpeg artifacts
Old Jan 17, 2011, 4:03 AM   #9

That photo was taken in P mode with ISO set to 200. It was not photoshoped.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 9:36 PM   #10

switch sharp hard to normal and use lower megapixel size. medium. This camera is a hit or miss from what i read.