Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Mar 25, 2011, 3:42 PM   #1

Default HS10 firmware question

I have an HS10 that I purchased about 2 weeks ago and I'm really enjoying it. When I checked to see what firmware version was installed, the camera indicated v1.02. The latest available on the Fuji website is v1.04 so I went through all the motions to install it. When I hovered my mouse over the downloaded file prior to moving it to the camera's SD card, it indicated v1.02, the same one already in the camera. What gives?
Fujifilm FinePix HS10, Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR, Pentax E-80 P&S, Sunpak auto383 flash, Optex slave flash, Velbon VGB3 heavy-metal tripod, TechPro TP-242 tripod with B62 ballhead, assorted filters and other bits.
toshi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 26, 2011, 10:58 AM   #2

Toshi, I have checked my file, and nowhere does it tell me what version I have. I am running windows 7 and when I hover over the file or even right-click to get the files properties to show me what version, it is not listed. I would just load it in the cam and see what happens. Not like you are going to affect anything by doing it, even if it is the same version. Shame on Fuji for not incorporating the version number into the file name.
mbrobich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2011, 2:53 PM   #3

Thanks, mbrobich. I did what you suggested but when I powered up the camera a message on the screen said updated firmware could not be found. I downloaded the supposedly updated firmware file onto a formatted SD card and used that to load it into the camera. Very strange, the camera's basically telling me the firmware file is still v1.02, and that's what the dialogue box tells me when I hover over it. I don't understand it at all.

I noticed there are two seperate update files on the Fuji website. The one I tried to load into my camera is an EXE file labelled 'Windows 7 Transfer file', the other one is 'FPUPDATE.DAT'. Do I need to put both of these into the camera? The instructions are pretty unclear, unless of course I'm missing something.
Fujifilm FinePix HS10, Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR, Pentax E-80 P&S, Sunpak auto383 flash, Optex slave flash, Velbon VGB3 heavy-metal tripod, TechPro TP-242 tripod with B62 ballhead, assorted filters and other bits.

Last edited by toshi43; Mar 26, 2011 at 6:09 PM.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 4:02 PM   #4

I don't have your camera, but normally you need to have a loader and the data to update.

I would try again with both files on the SD card
Old Mar 26, 2011, 5:53 PM   #5

It turns out my HS10 had to connect directly to the computer for the upgrade to work, it refused to install via the SD card. The instructions posted on Fuji's website are vague at best, but after a couple of tries I finally got the update on the camera. Thanks for your help.

Last edited by toshi43; Mar 26, 2011 at 6:10 PM.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 12:35 AM   #6

10-4, the EXE file is only if you plug directly in. The DAT file is the one you have to copy to the SD card.

You got it right now !!
mbrobich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2011, 3:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrobich View Post
10-4, the EXE file is only if you plug directly in. The DAT file is the one you have to copy to the SD card.

You got it right now !!
The Fuji site doesn't explain that at all so I had to experiment a bit to get the right procedure. I put the EXE and DAT files on my desktop, connected my HS10 with a formatted SD card to the computer and then clicked on the EXE file. It loaded itself onto the camera, then I unplugged it and turned it off and back on again. I OK'd the update on the camera and it was done in just a few seconds.

It's a pretty simple procedure really, so I wonder why Fuji has such a difficult time explaining it and laying out the update website in an unambiguous way.

Thanks again for your help.