Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Apr 5, 2011, 6:34 PM   #21

So my new HS20 arrived this afternoon. I played with it fro about an hour. Here are my first thoughts.

- Had more flare from glare and sun using lens hood than I had on HS10 which had no lens hood.
- Shutter was faster to respond on HS20, slightly faster shot to shot
- Burst mode allows you in 3fps and 5fps to set it to 4, 8, 16 and 32 max frames but when you use 16 and 32 it cuts back on resolution. Also when you set it up you have to a) select the continous mode and then b)tell it in separate step max number of frames you want. So it takes an extra few sections to set it up. Also once you do the burst you have to cancel it if you want to shoot single frame. I did a 3fps at 16 frame burst on a lake where their was very high winds and I was able to get a white cap of water hitting a shore wall and then burst up and over into the yard..... The burst mode works good if you can live with less than full resolution.

Can't post any photos now due some kind of resizing issue on my end (photos are too big in file size for this forum.....

- Colors look more natural in daylight. Yet to shoot at night
- The -/+ exposure control works much better and is more true of what I would expect to see when using this feature. The HS10 seemed to overbrighten everything and you had to use the - exposure. A simple -1/3 really makes a huge difference on HS20 where I'd have to use almost a -1 on the HS10

Negative thing with HS20 - the lens hood does not attach backwards over lens for storage in camera bag like some lens hoods do. You have to remove it when you put on lens cap and especially when storing in camera bag.

Positive thing - maybe its just me but it seemed lighter to me.......

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2011, 6:46 PM   #22

A few more things to add I wanted to make this point very clear so its a new entery in this thread.

I tried the camera in both single shoot and 3fps up to 16 frame burst mode today using a class 2, class 4, class 6 and class 10 memory cards.

I clearly saw a speed difference shot to shot when using class 6 over class 2 and class 4 cards. Class 2 and 4 card should not apply (or be considered) for use with this camera as they truly slowed the camera done to slower than the HS10 was.

Both class 6 and class 10 worked ok with the burst mode. I got all the frames with both cards, but it took almost twice as long to process the burst/batch with a class 6 as it did with a class 10 card. Shot to shot both cards seemed to be equally fast and able to store the image and get to the next shot very quickly.

With that said a fast memory card makes all the difference with this camera so use the faster card you can with this camera.

Also tested video mode (640x480 at 30fps) which is the video mode I have been using on my HS20 with both class 4 and class 10 cards. The video was slightly shoppy with the class 4 card and very well done with the class 10 card. Also with the class 10 card it was ready for the next shot-video very quickly where the class 4 card had a more noticeable lag-time needed to store the video clip.

dave
Old Apr 5, 2011, 7:15 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo 5 View Post
A few more things to add I wanted to make this point very clear so its a new entery in this thread.

I tried the camera in both single shoot and 3fps up to 16 frame burst mode today using a class 2, class 4, class 6 and class 10 memory cards.

I clearly saw a speed difference shot to shot when using class 6 over class 2 and class 4 cards. Class 2 and 4 card should not apply (or be considered) for use with this camera as they truly slowed the camera done to slower than the HS10 was.

Both class 6 and class 10 worked ok with the burst mode. I got all the frames with both cards, but it took almost twice as long to process the burst/batch with a class 6 as it did with a class 10 card. Shot to shot both cards seemed to be equally fast and able to store the image and get to the next shot very quickly.

With that said a fast memory card makes all the difference with this camera so use the faster card you can with this camera.

Also tested video mode (640x480 at 30fps) which is the video mode I have been using on my HS20 with both class 4 and class 10 cards. The video was slightly shoppy with the class 4 card and very well done with the class 10 card. Also with the class 10 card it was ready for the next shot-video very quickly where the class 4 card had a more noticeable lag-time needed to store the video clip.

dave
Quote:
So my new HS20 arrived this afternoon. I played with it fro about an hour. Here are my first thoughts.

- Had more flare from glare and sun using lens hood than I had on HS10 which had no lens hood.
- Shutter was faster to respond on HS20, slightly faster shot to shot
- Burst mode allows you in 3fps and 5fps to set it to 4, 8, 16 and 32 max frames but when you use 16 and 32 it cuts back on resolution. Also when you set it up you have to a) select the continous mode and then b)tell it in separate step max number of frames you want. So it takes an extra few sections to set it up. Also once you do the burst you have to cancel it if you want to shoot single frame. I did a 3fps at 16 frame burst on a lake where their was very high winds and I was able to get a white cap of water hitting a shore wall and then burst up and over into the yard..... The burst mode works good if you can live with less than full resolution.

Can't post any photos now due some kind of resizing issue on my end (photos are too big in file size for this forum.....

- Colors look more natural in daylight. Yet to shoot at night
- The -/+ exposure control works much better and is more true of what I would expect to see when using this feature. The HS10 seemed to overbrighten everything and you had to use the - exposure. A simple -1/3 really makes a huge difference on HS20 where I'd have to use almost a -1 on the HS10

Negative thing with HS20 - the lens hood does not attach backwards over lens for storage in camera bag like some lens hoods do. You have to remove it when you put on lens cap and especially when storing in camera bag.

Positive thing - maybe its just me but it seemed lighter to me.......

dave
If you want to speed up your shot-to-shot time, disable the image preview. That along with a class 10 card will REALLY make a difference!

The hood is almost a joke. Pretty flimsy. The after-market screw-on is made MUCH better. But, I didn't buy a lens hood, I bought a camera!

They both feel the same weight to me.

Colors - I find them MUCH more accurate. I can tweak them if I want in PP.

One thing I like that the HS-10 did not have is a bulb mode. Indispensable for lightning shots.

External flash: I have confirmed via Adorama that the Metz 36 AF5 for Nikon is fully functional with the HS-20. Mine's on order.

Remote shutter release: Gadget Infinity has them! Mine's enroute.

I haven't played with any video and probably won't.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2011, 7:59 PM   #24

The only problem I have with after market lens hods and and I tried 5 on my HS10 is that in wide mode less than 3x or 4x they got in the way of the shot and blocked part of the frame. I never found one that worked well for the HS10.

So if you find a good hood for the HS20 please post make, model and link for ordering.

So far I like my HS20.....

dave
Old Apr 6, 2011, 3:51 AM   #25

Congratulations Dave on your HS20...

Thanks for the review on the memory card usage with this camera. I shall keep this in mind, when I get mine here in India.

Whats the max storage capacity work with this camera - any idea??? Are you using a SDHC or SDXC card? Is there any speed difference in either ones?

Saket
saketb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2011, 2:20 PM   #26

I received the hs20 to compare to the fz100 from panasonic today.. i really wanted a good zoom with advanced features and good video.

The HS20 has horrible focusing issues just keeping it wide open.. ive played with the various settings but nothing has fixed this yet.

I tried a fast comparison shot between the two, using manual aperature and iso 100, the fz100 looked much better to me..

All this was only initial testing though.
markm75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2011, 6:37 PM   #27

I have not had any focusing issues as of yet. Maybe you have a bad camera, I know that Fuji shipped several bad HS10 cameras when it first came out. Before I would give up on the HS20 see if you can exchange it for another one and do another test also make sure your not in manual mode and need to manual focus it.

As for the maximum size memory card the camera can handle. I have tested it with 16GB cards which is the biggest I have. It doesstate it can use SD, SDHC and SDXC so you can use 64GB and even larger cards cards (which are marked as SDXC type).

dave
Old Apr 6, 2011, 7:11 PM   #28

Quote:
I have not had any focusing issues as of yet. Maybe you have a bad camera, I know that Fuji shipped several bad HS10 cameras when it first came out. Before I would give up on the HS20 see if you can exchange it for another one and do another test also make sure your not in manual mode and need to manual focus it.

As for the maximum size memory card the camera can handle. I have tested it with 16GB cards which is the biggest I have. It doesstate it can use SD, SDHC and SDXC so you can use 64GB and even larger cards cards (which are marked as SDXC type).

dave
Hmm that could be, or maybe i'm missing the correct mode to try.. I've tried EXR, center focus, tried turning continuous focus off and on, tried using the shutter to refocus. It could just be a setting i'm missing.

After more expermenting with the other fz100, i'm noticing slight focusing issues even on it, while at a normal non zoom level. Though the fs20 was pretty horrible by comparison with the things i've tried (so far).
Old Apr 6, 2011, 8:22 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by markm75 View Post
Hmm that could be, or maybe i'm missing the correct mode to try.. I've tried EXR, center focus, tried turning continuous focus off and on, tried using the shutter to refocus. It could just be a setting i'm missing.

After more expermenting with the other fz100, i'm noticing slight focusing issues even on it, while at a normal non zoom level. Though the fs20 was pretty horrible by comparison with the things i've tried (so far).
Here are some examples of exactly what i'm experiencing:

Mostly on zoom here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oqv_o...eature=related

Sitting still, no zoom:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r35v1tqqOQs&NR=1
Old Apr 6, 2011, 8:27 PM   #30

So your talking video mode not still images..... yes when you zoom in and out in video mode it takes a second or two to refocus. But your video with the helicopter does seem a little more choppy then my test samples were......

dave