Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jan 5, 2004, 12:30 PM   #1

Default Fuji A310 vs. Canon A70

Looking for input on deciding between a Canon A70 or Fuji A310. The A310 came highly recommended by Ritz camera but I have found significantly less information on it compared to the A70. I don't know if that is a red flag or not. Any help would be appreciated.
Lgarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 5, 2004, 8:20 PM   #2

I have the Fuji A303, the 310 is similar but has Fuji's new SuperCCD (interpolation to higher pixel count) and can record movies WITH sound (which the previous model cannot).

The A310 will be a great "point n' shoot" digicam, and has some fairly useful semi-manual controls. I really like the color reproduction of the Fuji sensors, and it takes great daytime/action/macro shots. Low-light performance isn't the greatest, but that's not what I shoot...

The A70 is a Canon, so that's a good start It has more extensive manual features (like shutter speed, apeture, etc) and can accept accessory lenses (or so I'm told).

Round these parts, the A70 goes for ~$299 and I picked up my A303 for $150 (after-xmas sale). So for me, it was a question of price - I feel like I got a feature-packed camera for half price. If I had $299 to spend, I would have gotten the A70 (or saved for the A80!).
troyw2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2004, 5:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyw2000
I have the Fuji A303, the 310 is similar but has Fuji's new SuperCCD (interpolation to higher pixel count) and can record movies WITH sound (which the previous model cannot).
Actually the A310 doesn't record movies with sound as I've got this camera.

Out of the two I would probably choose the A70 as it has a lot of options to mess around with such as manual focus, shutter speed priority and is able to record movies WITH sound.

The battery life is really good on the A70 as 4 rechargeable batteries can last ~4 hours whereas the A310 would be used up within ~1-2 hours.

The A310 pictures have a lot of noise when at higher resolution.
kentris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2004, 4:39 PM   #4

Default A70 !!!

Hello,

I've got the A70 for about 3/4 of a year or - in other words - 4500 pictures and movies. It is a great little camera with many options and true point-and-shoot capabilities.
Besides picture quality - I got some 20x30cm prints - the four AA-batteries (I take NiMHs) and CF-card-usage are main "pro"s.

Think you can't go wrong with the canon and you can believe in all the high rated reviews.

P.S.: I won't bash Fuji - I am considering to buy a S7000 !
W.D.John is offline   Reply With Quote