Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Apr 11, 2011, 2:07 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Tywyn
Posts: 105
Default

Just did a very quick test, nothing special but just to try out the higher iso settings on this S1600. I was quite surprised how well iso 800 coped and if at a push I would use up to iso 1600 but think that iso 3200/6400 would be completely waiste of time. I didn't expect miracles with this camera, after all it was only 99 new but it's nice to know that iso 400 is really quite good and iso 800 is quite use-able if I needed to capture a half decent image without flash. Anyway, here are the photos which were taken hand held.

Howie

iso 400 - 1/28 sec
Name:  010-400-1.28.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  183.8 KB

iso 800 - 1/38 sec
Name:  010-800-1.38.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  183.1 KB

iso 1600 - 1/70 sec
Name:  010-1600-1.70.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  214.8 KB

iso 3200 - 1/140 sec
Name:  010-3200-1.140.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  190.6 KB

iso6400 - 1/300 sec
Name:  010-6400-1.300.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  164.9 KB
howiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2011, 10:09 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
mtclimber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 18,143
Default

Howiem

Those are impressive images considering the price range. Was the WB adjusted to tungsten/incandescent? ISO 800 is useable for small prints, 1600 maybe in a pinch.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2011, 12:07 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Tywyn
Posts: 105
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Howiem

Those are impressive images considering the price range. Was the WB adjusted to tungsten/incandescent? ISO 800 is useable for small prints, 1600 maybe in a pinch.

Sarah Joyce
I had everything on auto Sarah including the white balance, didn't mess about to much. The Om10 is above my pc on a dimly lit hallway but I wanted to make sure it was quite low light to give a true reflection of the iso capabilities. I would have no hesitation in using iso 400 and if needed iso 800 and possibly iso 1600 if the shot required it. It's better than I expected and glad you prompted me to do the test

Howie
howiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2011, 2:06 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
mtclimber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 18,143
Default

howiem-

PhotographyBlog did a review of the S1600 and were quite complimentary in their review, giving the S1600 four stars.

I have had some experience with the Fuji S1800, and the S1600 betters the S1800 on all counts. The S1600 reminds me of another Fuji camera, the S700 which we ran a very long thread on two to three years ago. In the process we turned up some really good images from the S700, then a $(US) 149.00 10X zoom camera.

The s1600 may indeed be another camera quite like the S700, which was a camera that was really fun to use. I have attached a S700 image.

Sarah Joyce

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2011, 3:00 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Tywyn
Posts: 105
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
howiem-

PhotographyBlog did a review of the S1600 and were quite complimentary in their review, giving the S1600 four stars.

I have had some experience with the Fuji S1800, and the S1600 betters the S1800 on all counts. The S1600 reminds me of another Fuji camera, the S700 which we ran a very long thread on two to three years ago. In the process we turned up some really good images from the S700, then a $(US) 149.00 10X zoom camera.

The s1600 may indeed be another camera quite like the S700, which was a camera that was really fun to use. I have attached a S700 image.

Sarah Joyce


Thanks Sarah. I did a lot of research as I've posted on here about looking for a good walkabout and in the end opted for this cheaper S1600. I had a good read of the Photographyblog review plus the one here on Steves digicams. I made my mind up to buy it when I downloaded some full size samples and did some simple curve/sharpening and the images really did 'pop' and I thought to myself, for 99 it was a little gem. I know this camera isn't for everyone and indeed myself, I may end up giving it to my kids and I might end up purchasing something like the HS10, P500, SX30 IS or TZ35 but it'll be one of those cameras I can throw in the car and not worry about, knowing that under 90% of conditions, it'll do a pretty good job of capturing a photo

Howie
howiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2011, 8:23 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
mtclimber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 18,143
Default

Howiem-

Here is another question for you. The Fuji S1500 has 10mp rather than the 12mp found on the S1600. My thought is that the fewer pixels found on the S1500 may indeed give it a bit more capability at numerically high ISO settings.

Did you consider that when you selected the S1600?

I have attached three different S1500 photos which quite well demonstrate the S1500 capabilities.

Sarah Joyce

This first photo was taken at ISO 64 and it shows good dynamic range, good color and the excellent image quality you would expect at ISO 64



This second photo was taken without flash at ISO 800, and it shows the image quality the S1500 is capable of at a numerically high ISO setting. There is a bit of blurring from the grandson that moved more quickly than the 1/20th of a second shutter speed could handle.



The third photo was also taken without flash, but using ISO 400


Last edited by mtclimber; Apr 15, 2011 at 10:43 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2011, 12:25 AM   #17
Junior Member
 
Edison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: GZ
Posts: 13
Default

nice motor!!
Edison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2011, 12:54 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Tywyn
Posts: 105
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Howiem-

Here is another question for you. The Fuji S1500 has 10mp rather than the 12mp found on the S1600. My thought is that the fewer pixels found on the S1500 may indeed give it a bit more capability at numerically high ISO settings.

Did you consider that when you selected the S1600?

I have attached three different S1500 photos which quite well demonstrate the S1500 capabilities.

Sarah Joyce
Thanks for the examples of the 1500 Sarah. To be honest I didn't really look much beyond the newer bridge cameras so really only checked from S1600 through to HS20.

It does seem as though the 1500 does a really good job and I would agree probably the 10mp would produce better higher iso shots.

Most of the time S1600 is sitting in my car just in case I'm out driving and I actually see something otherwise I would miss out on if I didn't have a camera on me. It's just very light and practical for this sort of thing.

Thanks for sharing the photo's,

Howie
howiem is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 9:55 AM.