Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Apr 20, 2011, 1:02 PM   #11

I think that most of them with those kind of comments, are making the sum in the back of their mentally deficient heads, how much their camera would cost if they would like the same specs and image quality.

Think : 24 mm lens f 2.8 $ ?
super macro f 2.8 $ ?
tele at 720 mm f 5.6 $ ?
this is only hardware but make the bill, and add the rest of the image quality we posted here off many members
I am only a hobbyist whenit comes to camera's, and have very little experience, but is see the difference between my two camera's, ive owned 2 HS-10's and now this HS-20, the EXR makes it far better and much easier to make a decent picture...
Old Apr 26, 2011, 2:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint View Post
I think that most of them with those kind of comments, are making the sum in the back of their mentally deficient heads, how much their camera would cost if they would like the same specs and image quality.

Think : 24 mm lens f 2.8 $ ?
super macro f 2.8 $ ?
tele at 720 mm f 5.6 $ ?
this is only hardware but make the bill, and add the rest of the image quality we posted here off many members
I am only a hobbyist whenit comes to camera's, and have very little experience, but is see the difference between my two camera's, ive owned 2 HS-10's and now this HS-20, the EXR makes it far better and much easier to make a decent picture...
Absolutely. Speaking for myself (and I'll bet most who have considered or owned DSLR systems) this has been the major basis for my decision to order an HS20.

I presently have a Pentax 6mp K100D, about 5 year old technology, entry level DSLR that cost about $600 new. I've so far spent over $1,600 in lenses including a 12-24 wide and a 50-300 tele.
  • I don't yet have macro capability = $300 min. for a decent DSLR macro lens. (Unless I use a series of close up filters which certainly does not encourage spontaeous shooting.) Yet another lens change.
  • I can't zoom beyond 300mm without at least a teleconverter = $100 min.. And even that wouldn't get me to the reach of the HS20. Imagine what an HS20 can do with a 1.7 or 2.2 teleconverter
  • I don't have a lot of room for aggressive cropping = $600 min. for a higher mp DSLR body.
  • Max. of 3 images/second, and 5 images total = $600 min. for a higher speed DSLR body
  • No video = At least $150 for a dedicated video cam that equals the performance of the HS20; OR at least $700-$800 for a DSLR with decent video capability. (Note: the $600-$1,200 Pentax DSLR video does not auto focus at all!)
I agree. This makes DSLR-obsessed HS20 critics sound either super-rich or needing a new hobby. It's all about features/quality/price point compromises and enjoying the shooting and viewing experience.

Last edited by gfmucci; Apr 30, 2011 at 1:06 PM.
gfmucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2011, 11:09 AM   #13

I looked at both Nikon and Canon's offerings in their super zooms, but their image quality doesn't even come close to the HS 20...I also considered going DSLR, but I don't think I want to give up the versatility or ease of use of the HS 20, not to mention the money I save and the fact that I don't have to pack a whole bunch of equipment around.
sans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2011, 12:21 PM   #14

I just came back from a trip with my daughter to Chattanooga. We visited several wonderfully photogenic sites. I took 250 shots with my Pentax DSLR, changing the lenes back and forth 20 or 30 times. Beyond that is the potential damage to the lenses, or the dust and other crap that likely affixed itself to the lenses and sensor, etc., during these quick shuflfles, and the time required to clean up the dirt that likely accumulated from this exercise, and the breaking of the mood during the touring to do the DSDR "mechanical" stuff that can become so quick and automatic with the superzoom.

This sold me on the need for a good superzoom. And the HS20 appears to be the best.

Last edited by gfmucci; Apr 30, 2011 at 1:05 PM.
gfmucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2011, 11:50 AM   #15

I'm really happy I came over to this site to check on the reviews for the HS-20.
DPREview forums most of the folks there are constantly arguing and slamming each other. Its like family fued all the time. I was actually shocked at how much squabbling was going on. pretty much ruins most threads as it always turns into a one up for each of them who can slam the other the most for their opinions,I'm surprised a moderator or owner doesn't make them tone it down a bit.
daveso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2011, 11:58 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveso View Post
I'm really happy I came over to this site to check on the reviews for the HS-20.
DPREview forums most of the folks there are constantly arguing and slamming each other. Its like family fued all the time. I was actually shocked at how much squabbling was going on. pretty much ruins most threads as it always turns into a one up for each of them who can slam the other the most for their opinions,I'm surprised a moderator or owner doesn't make them tone it down a bit.
Because the admin/mods enjoy it as much as the participants. They thrive on it. I used to hang out there a while back. I don't even venture in as a lurker anymore.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2011, 1:27 PM   #17

About this mentioned forum DPR, a while back (2 years) i was looking for another camera, and ended up on that site.
Now can someone tell me how they manage to get EXACTLY the same lighting on that house for each different camera they test and use this house in their sample pictures.....
Even more strange that they get this result with leaves on the tree , when the test of a camera came out in mid winter ?????

i am confused , or brain washed
Old Apr 30, 2011, 1:58 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint View Post
About this mentioned forum DPR, a while back (2 years) i was looking for another camera, and ended up on that site.
Now can someone tell me how they manage to get EXACTLY the same lighting on that house for each different camera they test and use this house in their sample pictures.....
Even more strange that they get this result with leaves on the tree , when the test of a camera came out in mid winter ?????

i am confused , or brain washed
PFM... Pure Freakin' Magic heheheheh
My Gallery

--
Old Apr 30, 2011, 5:18 PM   #19

I am glad to find this forum because I also went to the "other" forum first and was dismayed.
I read many tests and first person reports and just ordered the HS20 since it has the ideal lens value for me.
I am shifting from my current camera, a Fujifilm S5200
and am looking forward to the zoom and many more pixels.
I also ordered a 16GB memory card so I can learn about taking pictures in the RAW format.
Gary I just visited your gallery and really enjoyed the critters, mainly the chipmunk photos. How do you get so close to them?
Also what program do you use to post edit?
What do you use to keep the many photos in order?
Thanks for any info.

Last edited by john339; Apr 30, 2011 at 5:30 PM.
john339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2011, 5:37 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by john339 View Post
I am glad to find this forum because I also went to the "other" forum first and was dismayed.
I read many tests and first person reports and just ordered the HS20 since it has the ideal lens value for me.
I am shifting from my current camera, a Fujifilm S5200
and am looking forward to the zoom and many more pixels.
I also ordered a 16GB memory card so I can learn about taking pictures in the RAW format.
Gary I just visited your gallery and really enjoyed the critters, mainly the chipmunk photos. How do you get so close to them?
Also what program do you use to post edit?
What do you use to keep the many photos in order?
Thanks for any info.
Thanks, John. Wildlife cannot resist food. They are well-fed. I shoot from my office/studio window about 20 feet away for the birds and closer for the chipmunk. With the lenses I have, I don't need to get close. And, with the HS-20, same thing. I am running a Linux box and although I CAN use Photoshop and some Windows products, I've chosen Digikam as my workflow-tweaking (cropping, exposure adjustments, etc.) software. I also use it to tag, categorize, file, and upload to my webhost. It's free and it's comparable to Lightroom on the Windows side of the house. I use Gimp for any major edits. It, too, is free and has a Windows version.
My Gallery

--