Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Apr 30, 2011, 4:47 PM   #21

Thank you for the info Gary.
I cannot afford Adobe Lightroom right now but will save up some money for down the road.
Too many hobbies and so little time and money..........
I am looking at DigiKam and it seems to be a powerful tool.
I will download it and see if I can understand what it can do.
Thank you for the help.

Last edited by john339; Apr 30, 2011 at 5:09 PM.
john339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2011, 2:52 PM   #22

Default Thanks, Guys! (HS20 Comments)

I am a frequent DPR type, and I too have become extremely frustrated with some individuals on DPR regarding the HS20. I do not think it is everyone there that is ignorant or lacking -- rather it is just a very few with very strong and incorrect presumptions regarding the HS20 -- and who aso happen to be very prolific typers there. A couple of persons there also do not even OWN the HS20 -- one of the worst 'borrowed' an HS20 for 2 weeks, and all his BS stems from that alone. Really.

One of my last posts there, I called them on this behavior. They even go so far as to hijack threads of normal folks posting HS20 photos. Then they would blast the OP for no reason. One pet peeve this one person has is lens-based IS vs sensor-based IS -- and he hijacks every thread until the heated debate revolves around that issue rather than whatever the OP's original question was.

I am now glad I am not the only one who has seen this abberant behavior.

To be fair, DPR does have the ability to "ignore" and/or to "Complain" about individuals. Just FYI.

I will try to hang out here some now.

Last edited by tkarlmann; Jun 26, 2011 at 2:57 PM.
tkarlmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2011, 3:34 PM   #23

Welcome !
Old Jun 26, 2011, 3:55 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeforms View Post
Yeah. It seems like they exhibit an extreme form of 'black and white' thinking where something is either ALL GOOD or ALL BAD.
I agree. Any time you post something negative/positive about camera, someone is sure to chime in and tell you how the camera is the best/worst they have ever used.

I do like the fact that there is some real discussion there though. Although the rational, intelligent ones are few and far between, there are a few.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 4:11 PM   #25

Default Want another laugh?

Just read a thread there. A guy is trying to evaluate IQ on the HS20 -- gets out his tripod, 2-second self timer and everything. Then, get this, says, "oh, BTW I'm shooting through 2 layers of window, so everyone should allow for that."! LOLOLOL. I read that & closed the thread.

Can you believe this stuff?
tkarlmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2011, 11:41 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by guus View Post
I'm wondering: do these HS20 bashers know that the shutter button must be half pressed before taking a photo?
Not really. You can button smash it to take a shot in quick instances. I use that top technique when I want to focus on a subject, then pan to left right up or down and have the focused subject on the side of the shot while I create a blurred result on the background in apature setting. Fuji made it a bit easier (in my case harder) to use the tracking feature.

Anyway, my brother loves looking at the site but hates the forums. Lots of kids in there.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2011, 7:26 AM   #27

.. to be true, it's not only DPR bashing this cam.
Many of the site reviewing cams do not "recommend" this cam in general.

I just ordered mine today, because in "my other thread" in this forum, somebody wrote that this cam is very good for still pics and OK for video.

Reading many othe sites, you are not suggested to have this cam.

I chose to see if a beginner like I am can be satisfied, if not will go back.

But... there must be a reason why there are many negative reviews, and I do not think is only because of video performances.

Regards
bimbobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2011, 7:58 AM   #28

I do visit DPR. It's a great microcosm of the world wide web in general - there's lots of great information there but 100 times more junk. The challenge, just like when googling something is to sift through the junk to find the good stuff. Now, here's the tricky part with ANY camera and photography forums:
You have people that will highlight anything negative - even if they don't have the camera. They are just negative
Then you have people that base their entire self worth as human beings on the fact they own the "right" camera or camera brand and will defend to the death any notion the camera is not the best thing since the internal combustion engine.
The tough part is to ignore both parties and look for people that have more reasoned comments. It is often good to get input from multiple sites though.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2012, 10:43 AM   #29

Hello- I have done a lot of research on the HS20. I had pretty much decided that it was the best camera on the market for my needs -until I came across some of these reviews talking about the various problems it has. There seems to be three main issues with it; the severity of them is hard to gauge without actually using the camera myself.

-lens barrel is jumpy and difficult to move in and out
-the stabilization isn't so great
-the auto focus has a really hard time in video mode.

For the last two problems- Is this better or worse at different zoom amounts?

How serious are these problems in reality? I mainly need the camera for still shots, but will also use the video mode from time to time. I was considering waiting until the next version of the camera comes out, but who knows when that will be. Thanks.
dioxazine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2012, 12:14 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by dioxazine View Post
Hello- I have done a lot of research on the HS20. I had pretty much decided that it was the best camera on the market for my needs -until I came across some of these reviews talking about the various problems it has. There seems to be three main issues with it; the severity of them is hard to gauge without actually using the camera myself.

-lens barrel is jumpy and difficult to move in and out
-the stabilization isn't so great
-the auto focus has a really hard time in video mode.

For the last two problems- Is this better or worse at different zoom amounts?

How serious are these problems in reality? I mainly need the camera for still shots, but will also use the video mode from time to time. I was considering waiting until the next version of the camera comes out, but who knows when that will be. Thanks.
-
-
I've had the HS20 since it came out and I'm very happy with it. You just have to get to know the camera. I don't find the lens barrel jumpy. It's amazing how fast you can zoom in on something in comparason to using a zoom in-zoom out button. As far as the image stablization goes, I havn't had an issue with it either. The only issue that I agree with is the video. If your taking video and zoom in close to something it has a hard time focusing. But I've learned a little trick for that. If you zoom in first, as if your taking a picture, then hold the shutter button down half way to get focus lock, then let go of the button, then push the video button it will stay in focus. In my opinion you can't go wrong for the money. Here's a few sample pics.
Attached Images

EFS 15-85
EF 100-400 L IS ll

http://timpharoahphotography.ca/
HavToNo is offline   Reply With Quote