Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jan 4, 2012, 4:40 AM   #31

The video AF issues are solved with the last firmware update. So it's not perfect, but works well.
And also I don't think that the lens barrel has problems. It's not so handy for video as the electronic zoom. But for photos its just great !
The stabilization is quite relative. I think It works well, but do not expect miracles, especially on longer zoom ranges.

My pictures

Last edited by bugsbunny; Jan 4, 2012 at 4:43 AM.
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2012, 5:02 AM   #32

Whilst I have never had the pleasure of shooting with a HS20,I did own a HS10.
The main bugbear for me on the HS10 was slow autofocus(despite using centre focus area)- and quite often missing the target at longer focal lengths. I also found the IS was slow to respond on activation of auto-focus(half press of shutter).
If the HS20 has improved on these two issues I had- then it should be a fine camera.
Though I still question the merits of using a 16mp sensor on the latest model- and I'm still not convinced of EXR modes...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2012, 7:04 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON40 View Post
Whilst I have never had the pleasure of shooting with a HS20,I did own a HS10.
The main bugbear for me on the HS10 was slow autofocus(despite using centre focus area)- and quite often missing the target at longer focal lengths. I also found the IS was slow to respond on activation of auto-focus(half press of shutter).
If the HS20 has improved on these two issues I had- then it should be a fine camera.
Though I still question the merits of using a 16mp sensor on the latest model- and I'm still not convinced of EXR modes...
Im not that convinced either , I think it DOES work, and is ok, but it is VERY hyped by Fuji. But perhaps in order to thrive in a marketplace against Cannon and Nikon they have had to make their own legends and myths!

I think the Fuji Supper CCD Bayer arrangment sensors were much sharper tbh!
Lifeforms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2012, 5:16 PM   #34

I did the firmware update a couple of days ago and the difference in shooting video is amazing. I set it to center focus and now I can zoom right in and it stays in focus. Now I'm happy.

EFS 15-85
EF 100-400 L IS ll

http://timpharoahphotography.ca/
HavToNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2012, 6:44 PM   #35

thanks to you guys! I'm learning a whole lot about the HS20exr just by reading your posts!
cala1900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2012, 7:26 PM   #36

I agree. I've learned a lot too. A few weeks ago I was thinking of trading it in for a DSLR, but with all I've learned about the camera and how to get the most out of it, I'm now really happy with it. Not having to change lenses or worry about getting dust inside is a real plus.

EFS 15-85
EF 100-400 L IS ll

Old Jan 7, 2012, 10:01 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavToNo View Post
I did the firmware update a couple of days ago and the difference in shooting video is amazing. I set it to center focus and now I can zoom right in and it stays in focus. Now I'm happy.
Hello, HavToNo ..

As you can see I am new to the forum, ( 1 post ! ) .. i always post first in the introduction section, as i will do tomorrow. However, its 3.00am here in UK and i just wanted to ask a question before i go to bed, and ill do all the introducing bit tomorrow

Firsty, thanks for the example pictures you posted with your hs20, from your sig ive decided i would like that particular flash aswell, as i have been thinking on getting one.

Secondly, Where did you find this most recent firmware update, i have located version 1.03 , however this certainly isnt new .. and certainly does not deal with the focus in video mode, from what i can tell ..

so could you please inform or link me to where you found this update please, as any improvement at all on the video would be great.. its pretty useless for me if im honest, so any chance of an upgrade would be brilliant.

i hope to learn alot on this forum,

Sam
Ethix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2012, 11:15 PM   #38

Welcome Ethix. Firmware 1.03 is the one I used and I noticed a big improvement in the video when I zoom in all the way when I'm outside. It still Isn't perfect but it seemed better to me. Maybe it's just my amagination.

EFS 15-85
EF 100-400 L IS ll

Old Jan 8, 2012, 4:19 PM   #39

thanks for the reply mate. I'll be sure to put the firmware update on there and see. It isnt a great problem for me, as i bought the camera predominantly for taking snaps

But would be nice to know, that a main feature would infact work to the same standard as my 25 pound Argos video camera ..
Ethix is offline   Reply With Quote