Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Apr 22, 2011, 1:23 PM   #1

Default HS20 foliage

Foliage looks ok to me on the HS20.
What do you think?

Regards,
guus

http://s873.photobucket.com/albums/a...view=slideshow
guus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 22, 2011, 2:42 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by guus View Post
Foliage looks ok to me on the HS20.
What do you think?

Regards,
guus

http://s873.photobucket.com/albums/a...view=slideshow
Looks just fine to me, guus
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2011, 6:16 PM   #3

Yup, it looks green and natural to me! loooooool

Seriously, foliage is super-sharp!
Lifeforms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2011, 10:05 PM   #4

Yes, looks good all of them, wich settings did you use Guus ?

regards
Sprint
Old Apr 23, 2011, 10:57 AM   #5

Thank you gjtoth, Lifeforms and sprint.
For these photo's I used the setting:
EXR D range
Size M 4:3
Quality Fine
ISO AUTO 400
DR 400
Filmsimulation Velvia
Color Standard
Tone off
Sharpness standard
Noisereduction high
electric horizon on (nice new feature)
Lightmeasuring integral
Focussing tracking
Single AF mode

I like this setting best for outdoor photo's so far.
For indoor I only change the EXR mode to high ISO, low noise, activate the external flash mode and put a TTL flash on it. Nice results
guus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2011, 3:31 PM   #6

Thanks, i am gonna try those one of these days.
I was today about 2.5 hours busy to try to get my D90 on the same level for color accuracy as the HS-20, with the help of a tip from a nice guy who gave me the link to Ken Roswell site, however Ken is a good guy to test and give all those tips, he got his own mind of color reproduction wich is a little on the strong site for me.
But than again i learned something about settings today.

The outcome : the Fuji still wins in real color accuracy !! the D90 got almost to the same color red as it should be, but than pulled the yellow a fraction to orange..

But this morning i took my little son to his tennis lesson, and the HS-20 is not the camera to keep on track with this sport, yes i did press the shutter button half way before shooting the pic, the lag between focussing and the black screen for an instant is just to much to get the right shot off.
It was set on "sportmode", i even tryed the "best off 3 " i believe, and also the full burst, and than it was waiting and waiting until it was proccesed, about 10 seconds or more i think, the card that is in the HS-20 is an Sandisk 8 Gb III Extreme 30Mb/s edition,

So i gues i will keep them both
cheers guys
Sprint

( sorrry for typo's)
Old Apr 23, 2011, 5:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint View Post
Thanks, i am gonna try those one of these days.
I was today about 2.5 hours busy to try to get my D90 on the same level for color accuracy as the HS-20, with the help of a tip from a nice guy who gave me the link to Ken Roswell site, however Ken is a good guy to test and give all those tips, he got his own mind of color reproduction wich is a little on the strong site for me.
But than again i learned something about settings today.

The outcome : the Fuji still wins in real color accuracy !! the D90 got almost to the same color red as it should be, but than pulled the yellow a fraction to orange..

But this morning i took my little son to his tennis lesson, and the HS-20 is not the camera to keep on track with this sport, yes i did press the shutter button half way before shooting the pic, the lag between focussing and the black screen for an instant is just to much to get the right shot off.
It was set on "sportmode", i even tryed the "best off 3 " i believe, and also the full burst, and than it was waiting and waiting until it was proccesed, about 10 seconds or more i think, the card that is in the HS-20 is an Sandisk 8 Gb III Extreme 30Mb/s edition,

So i gues i will keep them both
cheers guys
Sprint

( sorrry for typo's)
You will find that both have their strong points and weaknesses over one another. I have been very tempted to sell my DSLR until I find some little thing it does better than the HS-20. IE - a true Bulb setting is one that comes to mind. And, I like the way the Oly does burst mode better than the HS-20. If I need some super-speed burst shots, than the HS-20 is better than the Oly. So, you see, they both have their place.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2011, 2:46 PM   #8

Hello Guus,

I was just trying to set up my HS-20 like yours, but i am confused about some settings here

Quote:
Originally Posted by guus View Post
Thank you gjtoth, Lifeforms and sprint.
For these photo's I used the setting:
EXR D range
Size M 4:3
Quality Fine
ISO AUTO 400
DR 400
Filmsimulation Velvia
Color Standard ------- > do you mean " high", "mid" , "low" ?
Tone off --------> i got here " hard" , "standard" , "soft" ?
Sharpness standard
Noisereduction high
electric horizon on (nice new feature)
Lightmeasuring integral
Focussing tracking
Single AF mode

I like this setting best for outdoor photo's so far.
For indoor I only change the EXR mode to high ISO, low noise, activate the external flash mode and put a TTL flash on it. Nice results

Thanks
Sprint
Old Apr 24, 2011, 3:25 PM   #9

Hi Guus

Were your foliage/museum garden shots after post-processing or straight from the camera?

Thanks
Old Apr 24, 2011, 5:30 PM   #10

hi guus

Sorry to bother you once again - I just admire your skills and HS-20 results. If you can get such good results - then surely it is proof that the camera is awesome. I keep on thinking about the dog- absolutley sharp and great colour.

Could you tell me the settings you also use for your unsharp mask please? I have a student version of PhotoShop which also has unsharp mask.

I'm determined to like the HS-20 !!! The majority of results seem great. I think that a lot of the obsessiveness on the net about this and that camera and this and that pixel etc etc is silly and leads to animosity and frustration. This is why I am deciding to look at the best examples and ignore what people write, particulalry on dpreview forum.

I just looked back at some of my S6500fd shots and they too could be a bit hit and miss in a way. I think it is any photographers goal and practice to make many shots where he can then go ahead and select the best.