Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Apr 24, 2011, 12:10 PM   #1

Default Ducks with the HS-20

Arriving home from church today, the missus spotted this pair of mallard ducks on the neighbors lawn (shows ya how wet it's been here because we NEVER get ducks here). I was able to get within 50 feet of them with both cameras however, the shutter noise from the Oly seemed to spook them so I got quite a few more from the HS-20. All are handheld. No time for a tripod.

As I was going through them, it dawned on me that I couldn't tell which image came from what camera! You can see all of them at http://goo.gl/lSf9D

My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 24, 2011, 2:28 PM   #2

nice shots the last one would have been the best but the tail of the other duck interfered
prelude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2011, 8:55 AM   #3

Nice shots and great oppourtunity for comparing the quality of the HS 20 under real life grab shot experiences. I note from reviewing your gallery that the Oly shots (12mp dslr) were shot at 400mm and the HS20 at around 126mm.

Which camera did you grab first? The Oly? I imagine the ducks began to meander away after the clicking started. Did you take any shots with the HS 20 with a longer zoom beyond 126mm?

I have a 6mp Pentax DSLR with the HS20 on order. I'm hoping for minimal comporomise of photo quality with the HS20. I hope the reported "smearing" under some circumstances (common to high pixel/small sensor cameras???) isn't an issue and can be minimized. Have you used the video much? What is the best way to minimize the reported jerkiness when zooming in and out in the video? I'm assuming smoothness improves at lower focal lengths. Does a tripod mount help smooth out zooming at high focal lengths?
gfmucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2011, 9:45 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfmucci View Post
Nice shots and great oppourtunity for comparing the quality of the HS 20 under real life grab shot experiences. I note from reviewing your gallery that the Oly shots (12mp dslr) were shot at 400mm and the HS20 at around 126mm.

Which camera did you grab first? The Oly? I imagine the ducks began to meander away after the clicking started. Did you take any shots with the HS 20 with a longer zoom beyond 126mm?

I have a 6mp Pentax DSLR with the HS20 on order. I'm hoping for minimal comporomise of photo quality with the HS20. I hope the reported "smearing" under some circumstances (common to high pixel/small sensor cameras???) isn't an issue and can be minimized. Have you used the video much? What is the best way to minimize the reported jerkiness when zooming in and out in the video? I'm assuming smoothness improves at lower focal lengths. Does a tripod mount help smooth out zooming at high focal lengths?
I did reach for the Oly first. But, as you noted, it seemed to spook them.

You'll be very pleased with the HS-20. I don't shoot video with a still camera. That's not what they are designed to do best. If I wanted to shoot video, I'd buy a video camera.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote