Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Apr 27, 2011, 3:06 PM   #1

Default Super Macro Mode Question

How does one actually get the Super Macro Mode to work? The manual says that the zoom must be fully extended. My HS20 will not focus on anything up close, even in manual focus. In fact, at full zoom, my HS20 doesn't focus on anything regardless of the mode.

If you are using Super Macro with success, do you have any ideas what I might be doing wrong? This is my second HS20 and they both behave exactly the same.
dhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 27, 2011, 3:33 PM   #2

Are you completely sure that the manual says fully *extended* ? Im wondering if its a translation error from the Japanese original pherhaps?

Normally, on the past 2 Fuji superzoom bridges that I have owned, and my fathers other three Fuji bridge superzooms,

the lens has to be fully *retracted* to its *widest* angle.

Only then can the lens focus and be stable enough to focus onto the subject. At maximum extension, the slightest move would render each shot blurred. So, put it right back onto wide , which I beleive is around 28mm and then press the macro button. Then move between 10cm - 1 cm of your subject, noticing how pressing the shutter button focusses on the subject.

Im almost 99% sure that this will solve your problem. Id be massivley surprised to say the least if this doesn't solve it. Good luck. Let me know what happens.

Last edited by Lifeforms; Apr 27, 2011 at 3:37 PM.
Lifeforms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2011, 4:09 PM   #3

Hello,

The HS-20 will not focus when the lens is fully extended, at less than 3 meter i believe.
I just tested it here in the kitchen with an SL light shining indirekt and with flash, on EXR high iso, the distance was exactly 3 meter, at full tele with flash, iso 800 , the smalest letters at the bottom are just 1 mm high.
Attached Images

Old Apr 27, 2011, 5:27 PM   #4

Fully *retracted* is THE WAY to go guys! Trust me on this one! Goodluck!
Old Apr 27, 2011, 10:46 PM   #5

Retracted, yes. However, you CAN zoom in to a certain point... at least you can in Manual. I didn't try it in any other mode.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2011, 10:46 AM   #6

Default Retracted Works

Thanks to everyone that posted an answer. Yes, fully retracted (wide) worked great. I am so literal that I would never have tried super macro with the zoom retracted. While the image was dark because of the small distance, I was able to get a sharp focus with my lens almost touching my credit card. All of the almost invisible scratches and dust were in sharp focus.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 11:03 AM   #7

Nice one Dhoff!