Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Apr 28, 2011, 9:15 AM   #1

Default HS20 : what is the verdict?

New to the forums...good morning

I have read quite a few posts here on the HS20...however, they mostly come from one user.
Are there more users of this camera here and what do you all think?

I've been reading quite a bit about this camera. It matches my needs for a superzoom with good low light capability. My previous camera is a fuji S7000, which I really like a lot, but the low light was not so good, and it needs stabilization ... has no IS function.

I come here to Steve's occasionally, but mainly go to DP...and yes, I did read the thread here on HS20 bashing over there. it is rampant, actually. It is almost to the point of gloating over anything that makes it appear fuji has a problem with something. just my observation.

It actually turned me off to the HS20 and has me looking at other cameras. But so far, I have not come up with any current cameras from any manufacturer that meets what I want, especially at my price point..which is around $500USD. Thus I am here trying to see if the opinion is different.

One point I have already gleened form this site is that the HS20 needs to be adjusted correctly to get good pictures. Its not just a simple thing of turning it on and snapping a great picture. It also bothers me somewhat that it is stated to get a good pic you need to use 8mp with EXR. What then, is the pont of having 16mp camera ?

I will say my S7000 takes pretty good pics even at 3mp, so perhaps its not a big deal in any case.
daveso is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 28, 2011, 9:29 AM   #2

another question: This may be inherent in all digital AF cameras, but when I us autofocus with my S7000, the camera focuses on the closest object in the viewfinder. Quite often this puts the intended subject out of focus. The manual focus on the s7000 is pretty much useless.
How is manual focus on the HS20?

I realize its possible to lock in the focus on the s7000, but often , when you have to shoot fast, there is no time to do all that needs to be done. operator problem for sure
Old Apr 28, 2011, 10:18 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveso View Post

I have read quite a few posts here on the HS20...however, they mostly come from one user.

I've been reading quite a bit about this camera. It matches my needs for a superzoom with good low light capability. My previous camera is a fuji S7000, which I really like a lot, but the low light was not so good, and it needs stabilization ... has no IS function.

I come here to Steve's occasionally, but mainly go to DP...and yes, I did read the thread here on HS20 bashing over there. it is rampant, actually. It is almost to the point of gloating over anything that makes it appear fuji has a problem with something. just my observation.

It actually turned me off to the HS20 and has me looking at other cameras. But so far, I have not come up with any current cameras from any manufacturer that meets what I want, especially at my price point..which is around $500USD. Thus I am here trying to see if the opinion is different.

One point I have already gleened form this site is that the HS20 needs to be adjusted correctly to get good pictures. Its not just a simple thing of turning it on and snapping a great picture. It also bothers me somewhat that it is stated to get a good pic you need to use 8mp with EXR. What then, is the pont of having 16mp camera ?

I will say my S7000 takes pretty good pics even at 3mp, so perhaps its not a big deal in any case.
I shoot in Manual 90% of the time. The times I have shot in any EXR modes, I haven't halved the MP setting and they came out great. In fact, I shot a whole military aircraft event - indoor and outdoor - with no flash and in EXR. You can view them here http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fu...t-hs-20-a.html
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2011, 10:19 AM   #4

Quote:
another question: This may be inherent in all digital AF cameras, but when I us autofocus with my S7000, the camera focuses on the closest object in the viewfinder. Quite often this puts the intended subject out of focus. The manual focus on the s7000 is pretty much useless.
How is manual focus on the HS20?

I realize its possible to lock in the focus on the s7000, but often , when you have to shoot fast, there is no time to do all that needs to be done. operator problem for sure
Put it in Spot Focus.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2011, 10:34 AM   #5

If you want me to repeat what I said in my other posts about the HS20 I can but since you say most of what you read came from one posters I am assuming you meant me. LOVE the camera, simply thebest I have every used. Shot a weddign with it this past weekend with NO issues.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2011, 10:40 AM   #6

Quote:

Welcome to the forum.

I gave seen several excellent HS20 photos from users:
guus, sans and gjtoth. You can take it as-read that these shots
were taken with the HS20 and are representative of the kind of quality
that this camera is capable of.

Quote:
I don't have a HS20 so you should take my comments with a pinch
of salt.

I have noticed that new camera models are often regarded as inferior to the
previous model. This often happens regardless of the performance of the
new camera. The Fuji HS10, Panasonic FZ100 and FZ40/45 were subject
to similar comment when they were first released. Now that the dust has
settled, these cameras have proven to be some of the best in their class.

Quote:
There are a few good cameras in this category. It is your money and your
choice. All of the superzooms from the big manufacturers are generally
fit-for-purpose. If I was shopping for a superzoom, I think I would probably
buy the HS20. It offers a lot of camera for the price. The high quality of the
HS20 images posted on this forum would suggest that it is at least as good
as competing models from the other big camera makers.

Quote:
The choice of whether those 16M pixels are used to achieve best
resolution, dynamic range or a smaller image with less noise is yours
to make.

Quote:
8MP is more than adequate for most purposes. A full HD 1920x1080 monitor is
just over 2MP. The market demands more MP. Any time someone asks me about
my camera, the first thing they ask is "how many megapixels is it?" as if nothing
else matters. The EXR system gives Fujifilm the opportunity to satisfy the market
demand for high resolution, and serious photographers requirements for better
quality with less noise.
corkpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2011, 12:06 PM   #7

I'll comment on the usefulness of the 16mp.

From my reading a lot about the HS20 over the past couple of weeks (mine is on order) I think this assessment is reasonable...

The 16mp is most useful in good light that is not likely to create noise that is typical throughout the industry in pixel-crammed small sensors.

When lighting becomes more of a challenge for the small sensor the advantage of 16mp is that using two pixels per photosite (effectively becoming an 8mp sensor) reduces the noise below what is presently achievable with a 16mp (and maybe even with a 12 or 14mp sensor). This reduces the need for excessive noise reduction that often causes "smearing" of an image.

There was a review of the HS20 on the Photoblog site http://www.photographyblog.com/revie...image_quality/ that complained about excessive noise above 200 ISO. It appears that ALL of their judgements were based on taking photos at 16mp and not taking advantage of the noise reduction capabilities inherent in the 8mp setting. But the 16mps are available if conditions are favorable, i.e. adequate light.

Among small sensor cameras, this one appears to be more capable of low noise and excellent quality under a variety of conditions than most, but it requires some compromises (e.g. mp tradeoffs) and the operator to be familiar with the limitations of the physics of the camera's settings.

I am hopeful that the HS20 meets my expectations and that I can easily adapt to what is required of the photographer.

Last edited by gfmucci; Apr 28, 2011 at 12:08 PM.
gfmucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2011, 1:08 PM   #8

Default 16 Mp

Hello Daveso,

The 16 Mp is needed for the so called pixel binning, which is necessairy for EXR functions, more dynamic range and lower noise. 16 Mp is not necessairy for printing on normal size, more for printing on billboard size or even bigger. If you look closely the 8 Mp photo's look better than the 16 Mp photo.
Remember that analog film translated in digital is about 7 Mp.

guus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2011, 2:59 PM   #9

From wikipedia:

Estimates of a photograph's resolution taken with a 35 mm film camera vary. More information may be recorded if a fine-grain film, combined with a specially-formulated developer are used. Conversely, less resolution may be recorded with poor quality optics or with coarse-grained film. A 36 mm x 24 mm frame of ISO 100-speed film has first been estimated to contain the equivalent of 20 million pixels[6], estimation which has been later reduced to between 4 and 16 million pixel depending on the type of film used [7]

Here is a link to footnote 7 at ClarkVision.com:
http://www.clarkvision.com/articles/film.vs.digital.summary1/index.html

So the point is well made the even 8mp is well within the range of film resolution.

Last edited by gfmucci; Apr 28, 2011 at 3:02 PM.
gfmucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2011, 5:10 PM   #10

gfmucci ... I will be eagerly awaiting your review your explanation of the pixel count was interesting.
Thanks everyone for your answers to my questions.
So perhaps what it boils down to is buying a camera with a larger sensor? But at what price?
or more importantly, learning how to use what you have to produce good images, and realizing the shortfalls of the camera chosen.

It appears to me from reading forums that CMOS sensors have more problems than CCD with image quality ?

Do any of you have experience with the S7000. It would be interesting to compare image quality at 3mp. which would you surmise would be better, the HS20 or S7000?