Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Apr 28, 2011, 2:17 PM   #1

Default HS20: Best settings for distant moving objects

On another thread, Guus commented about one of the lesser capabilities of the HS20 with this comment:

"DSLR is better in nailing fast moving objects like flying saucers, but that's about it. "

Since I will soon have possession of an HS20 and may have an occasional desire to shoot a moving object from a distance (e.g. tennis player or a slow moving bird in mid flight from 60 feet away), what settings would give the best chance of getting a decent shot? Manual focus? Center focus point? etc.

How slow do I need to ask the bird to fly? In other words, what types of fast moving objects would be just too much of a challenge for this camera operated by a moderately skilled photographer?

Last edited by gfmucci; Apr 28, 2011 at 2:20 PM.
gfmucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 28, 2011, 2:36 PM   #2

I would say on "S" the shutterspeed, AF tracking, AF continious, spot metering.
But i am not a good photographer, i just read some stuf
How wrong am i guys ?

Last saturday i tried just the sport mode, at my son's tennis praktice, i was not satisfied with the outcome.
So let's hear it , who tried to shoot some tennis ? or any other fast moving sport.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 3:19 PM   #3

Default AF

Yes, AF tracking is the best option for fast moving objects.
I use this mode not only for that, but all the time. It is quick and accurate and gives a nice green symbol on the EVF so you know: this will be one more sharp, balanced photo what I intended.

Regards,
guus
guus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2011, 3:20 PM   #4

I shot a little bit of tennis the other day using the P mode and sports mode. Sports mode gave me by far the best images. I also used C-AF setting and spot metering from time to time. I got pictures I was happy with although I am sure a D-SLR with a 2.8 lens and 1/5000th shutter speed would have been better. But for what the HS20 is I got better than expected results

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2011, 3:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint View Post
I would say on "S" the shutterspeed, AF tracking, AF continious, spot metering.
But i am not a good photographer, i just read some stuf
How wrong am i guys ?

Last saturday i tried just the sport mode, at my son's tennis praktice, i was not satisfied with the outcome.
So let's hear it , who tried to shoot some tennis ? or any other fast moving sport.
According to Kelby's, "The Digital Photography Book" (HIGHLY recommend it, BTW), not far at all, Sprint. Add, AutoISO and shutter speed at 1/640th or higher.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2011, 3:32 PM   #6

Default Almost all the time

Sorry, I use AF tracking not all the time. I forgot I don't use it for macro's. For that I use P mode, 8 Mp, AF center.

Regards,
guus
guus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2011, 3:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
According to Kelby's, "The Digital Photography Book" (HIGHLY recommend it, BTW), not far at all, Sprint. Add, AutoISO and shutter speed at 1/640th or higher.
Hello Gary,
Ha yes correct the speed vs "mm" on the lens , the shutterspeed should always be higher than the "mm" of the lens .
Something nobody mentioned here ( the last posts ) is wich stabilization they used...
This could be another tread i know, my mistake