Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Apr 29, 2011, 10:30 AM   #11

When I am rich btw lol. Im kind of sick of the Royal Wedding in my country. There is a great gap between the rich and poor in my country, it is not as it is all portrayed as romantic and lush green fields with tea and scones and fish and chips with bentleys, Jaguars.
Lifeforms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2011, 10:32 AM   #12
Super Moderator

It's true that using the lens at the longer focal lengths you can get some shallow DOF, the Oly will certainly make it easier for a shallow DOF, if you really want to play around with this sort of thing then go for any cheap dSLR and a 50mm f1.8, that will allow you to have lots of fun.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 10:40 AM   #13
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeforms View Post
When I am rich btw lol. Im kind of sick of the Royal Wedding in my country. There is a great gap between the rich and poor in my country, it is not as it is all portrayed as romantic and lush green fields with tea and scones and fish and chips with bentleys, Jaguars.
I'm English as well and would say that we are in the same situation as pretty much anyone else with a huge gap between the rich and the poor.

I'm really enjoying the coverage, anything where I can check out the videography to get ideas for photographic angles etc is great. Some of the newspaper photographs out on websites are also great to look at to see what the pros are up to.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 10:46 AM   #14

I loved the high overhead shot looking down to the floor where the ceremony was to be conducted.

Regarding blurring the background with the HS20, isn't there a feature that autmoatically does this by taking two exposures simultaneously?

Image Processing Function of Multi Frame Composition

Pro Focus Mode with Face Detection

This focus-bracketing mode emulates the gentle, out-of-focus background look of a DSLR when shooting portraits or macro subjects. A single press of the shutter first takes an exposure focused on the main subject, then additional exposures at different focus points*1. This produces a final image emphasizing the sharply focused subject against a soft, out-of-focus background*2.

• Conventional Digital Camera
  • FinePix HS20EXR

• <LI nodeIndex="1">*1 There must be sufficient distance between the subject and the background for this function to work properly.
  • *2 Except for subjects where focus bracketing is unable to produce sufficient defocus.

Last edited by gfmucci; Apr 29, 2011 at 10:58 AM.
gfmucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2011, 1:43 PM   #15

I play with dof using aperture priority lots of times. spot focus on my family member on a park, the background comes out blurry like i like.

Use Aperture priority for producing something specific. Use the other modes when you want varying results.

also like the guys says, the lower the f stop, the more blurry the background. The higher, more uniform sharpness accross the board.

Last edited by Cresho; Apr 29, 2011 at 1:46 PM.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2011, 2:21 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
I'm English as well and would say that we are in the same situation as pretty much anyone else with a huge gap between the rich and the poor.

I'm really enjoying the coverage, anything where I can check out the videography to get ideas for photographic angles etc is great. Some of the newspaper photographs out on websites are also great to look at to see what the pros are up to.
You are right Mark. Apologies for my silly outburst. Im just a bit bitter when Im not mindful. I really enjoyed the Aston pulling away with the lovely couple - they seem a very genuine and loving union - I must say and I wish them both all the best.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 2:25 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
It's true that using the lens at the longer focal lengths you can get some shallow DOF, the Oly will certainly make it easier for a shallow DOF, if you really want to play around with this sort of thing then go for any cheap dSLR and a 50mm f1.8, that will allow you to have lots of fun.
Thanks Mark

Im weighing up all these options before I make a move. Your advice is really appreciated, it sounds like this lens would pherhaps enable me to creatively convey depth and highlight the figure/subject that would be quite large i.e a house/large tree?
Old Apr 29, 2011, 2:32 PM   #18

Default thanks GUUS!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfmucci View Post
I loved the high overhead shot looking down to the floor where the ceremony was to be conducted.

Regarding blurring the background with the HS20, isn't there a feature that autmoatically does this by taking two exposures simultaneously?

This focus-bracketing mode emulates the gentle, out-of-focus background look of a DSLR when shooting portraits or macro subjects. A single press of the shutter first takes an exposure focused on the main subject, then additional exposures at different focus points*1. This produces a final image emphasizing the sharply focused subject against a soft, out-of-focus background*2.

• FinePix HS20EXR

• <LI nodeIndex="1">*1 There must be sufficient distance between the subject and the background for this function to work properly.
  • *2 Except for subjects where focus bracketing is unable to produce sufficient defocus.
Ive used this feature on the last generation of Fujis to have 'Pro Focus' mode and unfortunatley I can only report my utter dissapointment with this feature.

My F300 EXR has this feature.

Im sure that one day it will work, but the technology just isn't there yet. This isn't to say that they have not improved it on the HS-20, but Im just saying to anyone that might purchase the HS-20, or indeed any Fuji camera for this feature to be aware.

I tried the camera on a tripod, in many different scenarios, in different light settings and it consistently just 'gets it wrong' - with the images lookign ridiculously bad - the details of which I wont go in to here really as I havent got the time. I tried really hard with determination,patience and perceptivity to make the feature work to its advantages - but it is so hit and miss that it is virtually useless.

Maybe it has been improved on the HS-20 - who knows lol
Old Apr 29, 2011, 2:37 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfmucci View Post

• FinePix HS20EXR

yeah it was an awesome shot.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 3:06 PM   #20

On the subject of emulating LDOF, For anyone interested in Post Processing Bokeh effects I have been very happy with Alien Skins bokeh 2. It really is a good tool to create LDOF effects from given lenses, simulating the aperture mechanism itself, and it can look completely realistic when you learn to use it and spend time with it. Maybe Pro Focus mode will get to this stage one day.