Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Apr 29, 2011, 6:29 PM   #21

Here is a sample of aperture priority vs pro focus.

Notice how generic pro focus works? btw, the first one is aperture priority
Attached Images

Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2011, 6:45 PM   #22
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresho View Post
Here is a sample of aperture priority vs pro focus.

Notice how generic pro focus works? btw, the first one is aperture priority
I'm not sure what pro focus is doing apart from making it easier to set the camera for a shallow dof rather than having to set it manually. The results should be the same if the conditions are the same. In the samples the exposure has been changed as has the distance from the camera to subject. If the latter was the same you shouldn't notice any difference in DOF and framing.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 7:06 PM   #23

Looks like ProFocus mode works pretty well.
gfmucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2011, 7:09 PM   #24

Pro focus mode uses the software facility built into the camera to enhance blurred background. If your monitor is calibrated correctly, you can see on the right lower angle of my 27 inch pc monitor, on the black bezel, pro focus trying to blurr a smooth finish (which it struggled in this case).

With aperture priority, you have better control of the camera but of course its a bit more complicated to use for new users. and of course i have no control over forcing iso 100 so the second picture is iso 800 with pro focus enabled and auto adjusted for you.

Last edited by Cresho; Apr 29, 2011 at 7:11 PM.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 8:17 PM   #25

Quote:
With aperture priority, you have better control of the camera but of course its a bit more complicated to use for new users.
And for both new and not so new users, achieving narrow depth of field is even more challenging with small sensor, fixed lens cameras whose f stops don't get very low compared to DSLRs with 1.4 or even 2.0 lenses.

HS20 maximum Aperture Range: F/2.8-5.6 <--Is this correct?

Last edited by gfmucci; Apr 29, 2011 at 8:21 PM.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 8:35 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfmucci View Post
And for both new and not so new users, achieving narrow depth of field is even more challenging with small sensor, fixed lens cameras whose f stops don't get very low compared to DSLRs with 1.4 or even 2.0 lenses.

HS20 maximum Aperture Range: F/2.8-5.6 <--Is this correct?

You nailed this one with a horse shoe! So very true. Hence pro focus birth!
Old Apr 29, 2011, 10:11 PM   #27

Quote:
You nailed this one with a horse shoe! So very true. Hence pro focus birth!
From Page 114 of the manual:

"Aperture - F2.8-F11 (Wide Angle)/F5.6-F11 (Telephoto) in increments of 1/3EV; can be set manually or automatically"
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2011, 10:27 PM   #28

true that!
Old Apr 29, 2011, 11:03 PM   #29

Yes, largest aperature for wide angle (f2.8) and telephoto (f5.6), which makes it even more difficult to get a depth of field effect w/o the magic of pro focus.

Last edited by gfmucci; Apr 29, 2011 at 11:08 PM.
Old Apr 30, 2011, 4:32 AM   #30

A couple of points:

My understanding of Pro-Focus mode is that the camera takes 3 frames in quick succession, and I presume each with a different focus setting, so that it can identify and "isolate" the main subject. I have to confess, I've never tried it (with my F70EXR) - maybe I should!

On the subject of Aperture Priority, the lens will have an optimum aperture for best sharpness (for any given focal length), so it's nice to be able to have control here. Usually, lenses are sharper as they are stopped down, but this ceases to be the case when diffraction start to take effect. In fact, diffraction occurs at very low f-numbers for these small-sensor cameras, so I wouldn't be surprised if maximum sharpness occurs when the lens is close to wide-open (i.e. minimum f-number). Happily, this coincides with minimum depth of field (and fastest shutter speed)!

Anyway, personally, I don't like it when the camera thinks it knows better than me which aperture/shutter-speed combination to choose - which is what you get with Program mode. So you have my full approval for your preference for Aperture Priority!
pentode is offline   Reply With Quote