Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Apr 30, 2011, 8:15 AM   #1

Default Fujifilm HS20 colors

Today, the 30th of April was a good opportunity to test how well colors of the Fuji HS20 are reproduced. Here in the Netherlands this day is called Koninginnedag (the day of the queen) because it was the birthday of a former queen (Juliana).
On that day people are allowed to sell things they don't really need anymore in the streets and use it as a kind of market place. For that reason it is called vrijmarkt (free market).
The color of the dutch royal family is orange and many people like to put on orange clothing on that specific day.
This is what it looks like.

Regards,
guus
http://s873.photobucket.com/albums/a...view=slideshow

Last edited by guus; May 6, 2011 at 8:00 AM. Reason: problem with Photobucket
guus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 30, 2011, 9:05 AM   #2

Wow! A humongous community-wide garage sale! What fun!

The colors are fantastic!
gfmucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2011, 10:29 AM   #3

i had to quit looking...it reminded me of my house...a lot of clutter
which I'm trying to correct. The colors are good. now to some maybe not in the shade so much.

One thing I've noticed with quite a few HS20 images is that full sun does not seem so bright..they seem soft, subdues, and a bit dark. just my observation of what I've seen.
daveso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2011, 12:02 PM   #4

Guus

I can't believe how crisp these images are. I really cant. I can't understand how people on other forums and reviews are saying that the images are soft. I know that you have done a small amount of PP in sharpness and possibly a little colour (which we all do) but I would be delighted in this colour and sharpness. The HS-20 has gone down by 50 on Amazon.co.uk, im just playing the waiting game now until my birthday!

Fantastic results Guus. I like the way that every day is special to you.
Lifeforms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2011, 12:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveso View Post
which I'm trying to correct. The colors are good. now to some maybe not in the shade so much.

One thing I've noticed with quite a few HS20 images is that full sun does not seem so bright..they seem soft, subdues, and a bit dark. just my observation of what I've seen.
It just depends how the HS-20 is set up, if you have the metering "integral" or "spot", and in wich EXR mode you are, + the DR setting.
Do not doubt the HS-20, it can do it , you just have to figure out how to set it up, and this is not so easy ....in the begining
Old Apr 30, 2011, 1:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveso View Post

Hello Daveso,

Yes, sun and shadow reproduction together in one photo is the most difficult aspect to handle for a camera. A camera has not the dynamic range your eye has, no matter what the price of the camera is. Television camera's costing several thousands of dollars can't perform what your eye can do. Watch a football game on a sunny afternoon on television and you will know what I mean. So up until this level of technique there has to be a compromise. Most camera manufacturers choose for the blown highlights. Fuji with the EXR does not. You can see that highlights are not blown when you use the right setting. It is a compromise , but you are right that the shadows in very contrastly circomstances are a bit darker than they should be.

Regards,
guus
Old Apr 30, 2011, 1:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeforms View Post
Guus

I can't believe how crisp these images are. I really cant. I can't understand how people on other forums and reviews are saying that the images are soft. I know that you have done a small amount of PP in sharpness and possibly a little colour (which we all do) but I would be delighted in this colour and sharpness. The HS-20 has gone down by 50 on Amazon.co.uk, im just playing the waiting game now until my birthday!

Fantastic results Guus. I like the way that every day is special to you.
Hello Lifeforms,

I'm happy when the camera which replaces the former camera produces a better image quality. The HS20 does for shure. The camera that gives the same view as your eye does not excist nowadays. Maybe in a few years they will and you read on the box: Same view as your eye has, just press the button, only $99,99.

Regards,
guus
Old Apr 30, 2011, 1:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfmucci View Post
Wow! A humongous community-wide garage sale! What fun!

The colors are fantastic!
Yes, it's a laugh that community wide garage sale. But here in the Netherlands we think it is quite normal Strange country, isn't it?

Regards,
guus

Old Apr 30, 2011, 2:41 PM   #9

i had one at my house ..ONCE . never again
my wife had a bunch of kids books..that hard cover big ones ...they were read maybe once or twice..they cost $15USD. She hhad them amarked for 10cents. A guy says..i will give you 50cents for 6. then we had a nice 20inch kids bike...not real old, but the chain was rusty. marked for $1USD. A guy starts complaining about the chain being rusty. I told him to leave it and go to the bike store to get one nice and shiney. Then I moved all the stuff into the garage and shut the door.

THE END .... sorry to get off subject from color, but I did have some colorful language to say after that event.
daveso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2011, 4:45 PM   #10

guus nice pictures and explanation.
We live in a small town, Clyde, California USA, about 500 people and we also close streets and have a large garage sale.
We just wander around to different houses and see what is for sale.
Afterwards my wife makes me leave things outside that didn't sell so somebody can just take them for free.
I argue to no avail as she says, "We are trying to get rid of stuff so our garage is cleaner afterwards."
She is correct but I don't have to like it...............
Daveso I can understand your feelings.
john339 is offline   Reply With Quote