Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old May 1, 2011, 9:16 AM   #1

Default Couple questions on the HS10

Just got a HS10 about a week ago, and it works great for my needs.

Anyway, I noticed some odd things about it and was wondering is it like a glitch or just the way cameras are supposed to work:

1. When in full manual mode, with the aperature a f.28, if I increase the focal distance, the aperature decreases as well as the shutter speed. Is this supposed to happen? How do I expect to get bokeh from a long zoom, when the aperature is pretty small?

2. It takes a pretty long time to write the photo to the card, especially RAW. I have a Class 4 card, anything else to increase speed?

3. Sorry, but don't know much about the terminology yet. With the flash, it goes up to +2/3 and down to -2/3. What does this mean?

4. With the attachment lenses, since it is a single-body lens, do these lenses interfere with the actual lens in any way other than they are supposed to?
Main area of "expertise": Landscape (beaches), Macro, Foliage, B&W
Saltine713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 1, 2011, 10:09 AM   #2

Hello,

I can only help about the write speed to the card, Fuji recommend at least Class 6, this can help a little, but the HS-10 is not so fast in general with writing speeds.

grts
Sprint
Old May 1, 2011, 12:36 PM   #3

So if I had a class 10, that would make the writing speed a lot faster? Currently I have a class 4.
Old May 1, 2011, 2:15 PM   #4

In answer to #1: Yes, that's normal. For better boken, move your subject further from your background.
In answer to #3: That's exposure compensation. Lightens/Darkens the image
In answer to #4: The filters will do what they are supposed to do - enhance the image. PROVIDED you get decent quality filters. In photographic equipment, you get what you pay for.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3

Last edited by gjtoth; May 1, 2011 at 2:19 PM.
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2011, 2:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltine713 View Post
So if I had a class 10, that would make the writing speed a lot faster? Currently I have a class 4.
You will have a noticeable difference in speed with a class 10 card.
My Gallery

--
Old May 1, 2011, 2:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Just got a HS10 about a week ago, and it works great for my needs.

Anyway, I noticed some odd things about it and was wondering is it like a glitch or just the way cameras are supposed to work:

1. When in full manual mode, with the aperature a f.28, if I increase the focal distance, the aperature decreases as well as the shutter speed. Is this supposed to happen? How do I expect to get bokeh from a long zoom, when the aperature is pretty small?
This is normal. As the focal range of the lens is increased, the aperture has to become smaller. Proper bokeh is not really suited to HS10/20. But you can blur a background succesfully in certain situations. Try and use longer focal lengths, widest aperture and largest distance between subject and background.

2. It takes a pretty long time to write the photo to the card, especially RAW. I have a Class 4 card, anything else to increase speed?
Try getting a class 10 high speed card

3. Sorry, but don't know much about the terminology yet. With the flash, it goes up to +2/3 and down to -2/3. What does this mean?
Not sure about this, guess its exposure compensation. This allows for a little more over or under exposure depending on the lighting conditions, and ones where an average exposure reading will be hard i.e if there is lots of contrast.

4. With the attachment lenses, since it is a single-body lens, do these lenses interfere with the actual lens in any way other than they are supposed to?
If by attachment lenses you mean kind of aftermarket filters and cheaper macro and fisheye lenses, no they dont pose a problem. You just screw them into the screw thread on the ends of the HS10 lens. They might make autofocus and general exposure work a little differently, but apart from that no problems.
Lifeforms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2011, 9:26 PM   #7

Awesome, thanks everyone!

Here are some pics Ive been experimenting using settings: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jfeinbergphotography/show/
Old May 3, 2011, 1:52 AM   #8

Quote:

Class 10 will be faster, but it won't be fast. Write times for the HS10 are just slow, especially RAW.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2011, 8:14 AM   #9

Quote:
Awesome, thanks everyone!

Here are some pics Ive been experimenting using settings: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jfeinbergphotography/show/
Nice! Your horizon line isn't level in a few of them and that's sort of a distraction. Good color and detail. I like the subject matter, as well.

I might suggest a couple of books to get you jumpstarted. "The Digital Photography Book" by Scott Kelby and "Understanding Photography Field Guide" by Bryan Peterson. Kelby will have you shooting like a pro within 48 hours... really!
My Gallery

--