Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old May 2, 2011, 12:08 PM   #1

Default Where to save your photos

I have a Fuji HS20 on order and am getting my computer ready.
I have an external 400GB hard drive and was going to put all my photos there but then I wondered.
Will it be slower to edit photos from an external drive or should I keep the photos on the main hard drive?
Any difference?
Thank you.
Oh yes, what is a good free photo hosting service where I could post photos?
Again, thank you.

Last edited by john339; May 2, 2011 at 12:27 PM.
john339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 2, 2011, 12:56 PM   #2

There shouldn't be any noticable difference in editing speed between the main drive and an external. Is the external drive connected via USB 2?

But I would certainly store the files in more than one place, either offsite, DVDs or a second hard drive.

I'd like to hear storage options from others.

I use Flickr, but not very often and I'm not familiar with the others.

Question to Admin: I don't see any forum topic tailored to Photo File Storage (options and tips). Where's the best place to discuss? A dedicated forum might be worth considering.

Last edited by gfmucci; May 2, 2011 at 1:04 PM.
gfmucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2011, 1:14 PM   #3
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfmucci View Post
...Question to Admin: I don't see any forum topic tailored to Photo File Storage (options and tips). Where's the best place to discuss? A dedicated forum might be worth considering.
If you look at the Misc Forums section from the main page at http://forums.steves-digicams.com, you'll see a Forum labeled Computers and Operating Systems (with a description under it that says "PCs, MACs, Displays, Networks, File Storage...").

That's probably the best place to ask about those types of subjects (and is one of the reasons I setup that forum not too long ago, so that we'd have a dedicated forum for related topics). .
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2011, 1:26 PM   #4
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by john339 View Post
I have a Fuji HS20 on order and am getting my computer ready.
I have an external 400GB hard drive and was going to put all my photos there but then I wondered.
Will it be slower to edit photos from an external drive or should I keep the photos on the main hard drive?
Any difference?
If it's an eSATA attached drive, then speed should be the same as an internal drive for a given drive brand/model (and you may not know what it's using without opening up it's case, as some will be faster or slower than others)

If it's USB 2.0 attached, it's probably going to be much slower when loading or saving images (although once an image is in memory, you shouldn't see any difference unless your editor is writing to the drive for some reason).

If it's USB 3.0 attached (and very few drives are unless you have a newer one using that specification and your PC also has a USB 3.0 port), then speed will be pretty close to what you'd get with an internal drive (but, may not be quite as fast as an internal or eSATA attached drive due to the protocol overhead with USB 3.0 since it's being converted to back to SATA inside the drive enclosure.

Quote:
Oh yes, what is a good free photo hosting service where I could post photos?
Again, thank you.
We have a dedicated Photo-sharing Site Links Forum that you may want to browse through, where you'll find some discussion about Photobucket, Imageshack, Flckr, Picasa and others. I don't keep up with the free services much. So, perhaps some of our forum members will chime in with tips.

Note that you can also attach photos to forum posts here using the paperclip icon you'll see when creating a new post. But, it's a good idea to make sure you downsize an image first so that the longest side is no longer than 1024 pixels and the file size is no larger than 253.9KB.

If you click on the paperclip icon, you'll see those sizes as the maximum sizes allowed on the screen that pops up so you can browse for images on your hard drive to upload. Otherwise (the image is larger than allowed), our forums software is going to try and resize and recompress the image to make it fit within those limits (which can degrade image quality).
Old May 2, 2011, 2:49 PM   #5

I will check the computers and storage ideas.
I am new here and didn't know where to look.
I am using USB 2 for my external drive and I understand that once I am editing the image it will not make much difference in speed.
Thanks for the help.
john339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2011, 3:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
If you look at the Misc Forums section from the main page at http://forums.steves-digicams.com, you'll see a Forum labeled Computers and Operating Systems (with a description under it that says "PCs, MACs, Displays, Networks, File Storage...").

That's probably the best place to ask about those types of subjects (and is one of the reasons I setup that forum not too long ago, so that we'd have a dedicated forum for related topics). .
I think there is something left out in the phrase "operating systems...." some people on this planet use some (kind of , i will call it ) Linux Operating system , wich is free of any cost and is more secure and stable than any windows derivate .
And at least that i know , 2 of the forum visitors here are using it for quit a long time now.

I good tip keep your pictures and video's stored on at least 2 different places.

If you keep them on a external HD, unhook it always via " safely remove" NOT ON ANY OTHER WAY ! i know it works also by pulling the USB cable, but just "so" many times, and on a uknown moment it will destroy the entry that has been written to the beginning of the HD and all you pictures will be gone....

If the USB HD is safely removed, unplug the AC adapter from the mains ( wall socket )
Because if your electrical net get's a power surge ( maybe lightning or ..) your HD is also gone , when it is plugged in .

I am writing this out of experience so i learned the hardway and lost 26 Gb on pictures and video

Grts

Sprint
Old May 2, 2011, 3:49 PM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint View Post
I think there is something left out in the phrase "operating systems...." some people on this planet use some (kind of , i will call it ) Linux Operating system , wich is free of any cost and is more secure and stable than any windows derivate .
And at least that i know , 2 of the forum visitors here are using it for quit a long time now.
I'm sorry. But, I don't get your point (if there is supposed to be one).

The last time I checked, Linux qualified as an operating system (although it should be referred to as GNU/Linux if you want to get technical about it, as Linux is only the kernel)..

That doesn't mean it needs it's own forum, anymore than separate forums are needed for Windows and OS X. They're all operating systems and we get very little traffic in the existing forum I set up for discussing computers and operating systems not long ago anyway. ;-)

I setup the Computers and Operating Systems Forum that way deliberately, so that it was not Operating System Specific. IOW you can discuss Linux, Windows, OS X, BSD, or whatever other operating system you may need to get help with, as you'll find photographers using a lot of different systems.

BTW, I haven't booted into Windows since last week some time. I'm running SimplyMEPIS 11 RC3 right this second, and also have Linux Mint 201101 Debian and OpenSUSE 11.4 installed on this desktop. I have two more Linux distros on a laptop sitting right behind me that I'm getting ready to update to newer versions (I'm running full disk image backups before starting that process, using ddrescue from a Live LInux CD burned to a USB flash drive for that purpose, writing the disk image to an external drive). That laptop hasn't been used with Windows in over a year now (even though it shipped with Windows on it). So, I'm not exactly a stranger to Linux. ;-)

Quote:
... wich is free of any cost and is more secure and stable than any windows derivate .
That's a matter of opinion. No operating system is totally secure and you can have stability issues with any of them due to a variety of reasons.
Old May 2, 2011, 3:54 PM   #8

You are better off with a 2t hardisk and internal. backup all data to an external drive and probably a third backup like archive cd dvd blueray. Also, jpeg is the worst possible format to save as archive.

http://photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00GHuh
http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/top...ps-t11775.html
other os setups suffer the same but less problematic.

There are many possible ways to cause corruption at anytime. windows is not a proffesional operating system, swap system on windows is on the drive itself, hardware is cheap.

So i use neither of the above...lol

btw, ever sincei jumped on the linux bandwagon, have not expirienced corrupt files....maybee one but thats probably due to another issue. If i look back, my pictures stored 6 years ago on a windows system caused lots of corrupt jpegs.

Last edited by Cresho; May 2, 2011 at 4:00 PM.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2011, 5:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
I'm sorry. But, I don't get your point (if there is supposed to be one).

The last time I checked, Linux qualified as an operating system (although it should be referred to as GNU/Linux if you want to get technical about it, as Linux is only the kernel)..

That doesn't mean it needs it's own forum, anymore than separate forums are needed for Windows and OS X. They're all operating systems and we get very little traffic in the existing forum I set up for discussing computers and operating systems not long ago anyway. ;-)

I setup the Computers and Operating Systems Forum that way deliberately, so that it was not Operating System Specific. IOW you can discuss Linux, Windows, OS X, BSD, or whatever other operating system you may need to get help with, as you'll find photographers using a lot of different systems.

BTW, I haven't booted into Windows since last week some time. I'm running SimplyMEPIS 11 RC3 right this second, and also have Linux Mint 201101 Debian and OpenSUSE 11.4 installed on this desktop. I have two more Linux distros on a laptop sitting right behind me that I'm getting ready to update to newer versions (I'm running full disk image backups before starting that process, using ddrescue from a Live LInux CD burned to a USB flash drive for that purpose, writing the disk image to an external drive). That laptop hasn't been used with Windows in over a year now (even though it shipped with Windows on it). So, I'm not exactly a stranger to Linux. ;-)

That's a matter of opinion. No operating system is totally secure and you can have stability issues with any of them due to a variety of reasons.
Well, my point was ONLY to point out that there are other operating systems than the those mentioned, that's is all....why this reaction , and i am glad that a moderator is acyualy using LInux ! ( i hate the "GNU" thing, does not sound so nice )

I was not asking for a seperate forum for LINUX , and my no1 hobby is testing every LINUX distro ( no RC's) that get's out, to its limits, yes even in the terminal
the second one is photograhpy ( newbie) so i think this enough about it .

@ cresho you are right
have a nice day all !

regards
Sprint
Old May 2, 2011, 8:31 PM   #10

I keep all of my photos on both a 1.5TGB seagate drive in a netgear storage central device (a 500GB seagate drive in USB enclouser former drive in the Netgear) and also on some form of CD-DVD-DL DVD-Blue Ray Disc. That way of one fails I have the other medium to recover from. Since 2008 I have never lost anything that I could not recover from the other medium. I also swear by Memorex DVDs as I have not had one fail on me since 2008 when I started to use only that brand 9Ok I had few that were bad off the spindle but the ones that won't have never failed on me).

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote