Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old May 6, 2011, 6:04 AM   #1

Default Bridges in the Antwerp harbor

Yesterday I visited the Antwerp harbor. It was a nice and for the most part sunny day. I used the HS20 for three hours at a time. There was no temperature warning sighn and no battery drainage sighn as well. From the photo's I took (about 320) I selected the ones which show bridges which were constructed using an old technique, the so called rivet technique. Before the fusing technique was invented (about the year 1900) to join steel parts together they had to use something elso to do so: the rivet technique. This is what they look like.

Regards,
guus

http://s873.photobucket.com/albums/a...view=slideshow

Last edited by guus; May 6, 2011 at 6:49 AM.
guus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 7, 2011, 2:01 PM   #2

Hi Guus

thanks for your photos and commentary - interesting as always - again I like the way everyday is a 'holiday' for you -everyday is interesting.

If I was to say 'Stijl' to you, what would this mean, and in reference to horizontal lines or cabinet making -woodworking - it would be interesting as Im researching 'De Stijl' one of Hollands avant-garde art movements. What does it mean in dutch ?

Best Wishes

c
Lifeforms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2011, 2:43 PM   #3

if i may answer to that question, Guus and i share the same language , "stijl" can mean a few things, but here i think the normal translation is 'style'

( it also means steep like climb, or "stijl" as in a door post)

grts
Sprint
Old May 7, 2011, 3:38 PM   #4

Thankyou very much Sprint! this will help lots with my research!
Lifeforms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2011, 7:04 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeforms View Post
Hi Guus

thanks for your photos and commentary - interesting as always - again I like the way everyday is a 'holiday' for you -everyday is interesting.

If I was to say 'Stijl' to you, what would this mean, and in reference to horizontal lines or cabinet making -woodworking - it would be interesting as Im researching 'De Stijl' one of Hollands avant-garde art movements. What does it mean in dutch ?

Best Wishes

c
Hello C,

As you know the word Stijl was a magazine called De Stijl first published in 1917.
A group of artists (painting, chairdesign, stained glass windows, achitecture, like the Berlage Gemeente Museum) used primairy colors and geometric forms. This style was related to the explosion of industrial activity at that time: the industrial revolution.They published in that magazine.
It lasted until 1937.

Regards,
guus
guus is offline   Reply With Quote