Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old May 7, 2011, 6:06 PM   #1

Default hs20exr settings

Okay, just got my camera. I been pixel peeping and adjusting the camera according to my liking. I don't like exr that much but its okay. I use p mode mostly. I'm curious, what settings regarding tone, image quality, sharpness, size, and noise reduction are you using?

as for I:
I been doing a series of shots and am realizing that the image quality should be left to fine due to jpeg compression and reduced artifacts, noise reduction should be left to low due to "painting effect during high shots" I also noted leaving sharpness to soft and medium reduces iso noise at 800 plus( i switch between auto iso 800, auto iso 400, iso 100 depending on whats going on with subject.

I think for now, I am sticking with

P setting
auto iso 400 most of the time(indoor and outdoor shots/fast moving objects)
image size L 4:3
film simulation = velvia
image quality to fine (reduces jpeg compression artifact)
color low
tone hard
sharpness standard (reduces "pixelation")
noise reduction low (reduces painting effect)

you can also with color to low and using velvia under film simulation in that combination to reduce color noise .

You can only go so far with this sensor but I like these settings already. I found these to produce best results for pixel peepers.

Last edited by Cresho; May 30, 2011 at 4:35 PM.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 7, 2011, 7:19 PM   #2

For me I use EXR High Resolution Priority when I shot a wedding weekend before last (couple wanted to be able to pront large images from my files if needed so I wanted to make sure the files were as large as possible); have also used EXR High ISO and now noise when shooting in a night environment.

For the most part I leave the camera on P mode so I can adjust the exposure as needed.

auto iso 1600
image size set for whatever 12MP is
image quality to fine
color mid
tone mid
sharpness standard
noise reduction set to whatever factory default was
also set with silent mode on
using eneloop batteries
using 16GB class 10SDHC card
Video mode set to 30fps 640x480

burst mode gets set to 3fps for 16 frames when I use it

scene modes set to
1,) Sports (worked well for a recent dance recital I photographed)
2.) Portait

WB set to auto and move as needed when indoors (schools and government meetings)

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2011, 8:25 PM   #3

thanks for the aditional tip, i just updated with iso auto1600 using my posted settings, i can tolerate it. Doesnt look to bad and none of the indoor shots came out blurry at all. ill fiddle with exr high iso low noise later on.

little update, i just forgotten how well exr mode works when using approriate settings.....

Last edited by Cresho; May 7, 2011 at 8:31 PM.
Old May 8, 2011, 8:33 PM   #4

I am also amazed at the very decent picture quality indoors, low light, without flash at 800 and 1600 ISO with some settings for a small sensor camera.

The two night scenes were shot at 3200 ISO, 1/8 sec, hand held. Pardon my flaring. Personally I don't mind the effect. The other three shots were 800 ISO. The metallic finish on the PT Cruiser model shot is a metallic finish, not noise. The first PT Cruiser shot is with flash at night. The second is natural light, no flash, both handheld.
Attached Images

Last edited by gfmucci; May 8, 2011 at 8:40 PM.
gfmucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2011, 10:29 PM   #5

Default 1600 ISO portrait

This was casually shot during a card game, indoors, at night, under incandescent light. Auto white balance. 1600 ISO, about 280mm.
Attached Images

Last edited by gfmucci; May 8, 2011 at 10:31 PM.
Old May 9, 2011, 2:17 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfmucci View Post
This was casually shot during a card game, indoors, at night, under incandescent light. Auto white balance. 1600 ISO, about 280mm.
Impressive.
I wouldn't think there is another current similar bridge 'superzoom' that can match that at 1600.
EOS RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2011, 3:56 AM   #7

that is a clean shot! Here is a macro of a buddy's project. We were talking about cameras and he wanted to see what this looked like in digital form.
Attached Images

Last edited by Cresho; May 9, 2011 at 8:15 AM.
Old May 9, 2011, 8:42 AM   #8

This last image reminded me of an idea I had a couple of days ago. This camera makes me want to start a new parlor game. Call it "Guess the Object."

Take a macro of an object in the room, like the grip of the .45, within plain sight. On playback for all to see, have it initially zoomed in. Have people take turns guessing what object it is. Round two, zoom it out, and repeat until someone guesses the object.

This camera does macros and just about anything so well in low, natural light that the set up for this game would be a "snap", NPI.
Old May 9, 2011, 10:26 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfmucci View Post
This last image reminded me of an idea I had a couple of days ago. This camera makes me want to start a new parlor game. Call it "Guess the Object."

Take a macro of an object in the room, like the grip of the .45, within plain sight. On playback for all to see, have it initially zoomed in. Have people take turns guessing what object it is. Round two, zoom it out, and repeat until someone guesses the object.

This camera does macros and just about anything so well in low, natural light that the set up for this game would be a "snap", NPI.

Start the thread, lets see where it goes, and keep the thread going. I'll follow. Hope the other guys goes along with this.