Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old May 8, 2011, 2:50 AM   #1

Default HS20 - Focus Freeze...

This is an issue that I've not seen discussed here. If it has been, I apologize...

The issue is the 'focus freeze' on the HS20... that, when the camera autofocusses, the image freezes. While sometimes it freezes for a fraction of a second, it can freeze for over one second at other times.

To me, this completely disqualifies this camera from action and fast moving situations. Heck, playing with it in the store, I had a hard time getting decent shots of people just walking around in the store because of the focus freeze. Trying to shoot faster moving subjects - like basically any sport - would seem impossible.

Just wondering why this isn't a major issue that comes up with this camera. It doesn't even seem to be a minor issue of discussion. I like the HS20 - and the images I've seen from it seem at least on a par with its competitors -, but to me, the focus freeze is a definite deal breaker. Am I missing something?

Other cameras in the same class don't freeze when focusing. Neither do the two digital 'superzooms' I own (from 2004 and 2007, respectively), or several others I've tested over the years. Surely, Fuji possesses the 'technology' to make a freeze-free focus system. Why is it not incorporated into the HS20?

Last edited by EOS RT; May 8, 2011 at 2:53 AM.
EOS RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 8, 2011, 3:19 AM   #2

yep, well known
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2011, 3:27 AM   #3

ohh doh! here. put the dial on s. then you have a arrow on the lower screen that points like this > this means on the dial "menu ok" click on the right arrow or aka the flash button > and it gives you up to 32 shots, and frames per second. 11/sec or 32 frames. now shoot! your camera will take pictures of fast moving objects and you need not worry about the screen freezing. s stands for shutter speed. so this is where this option is hidden i guess.
\
another way to look at it, in p mode hold the multi picture button (aka continous) right below the on or shutter button and use the dial right below the multi picture button to and you will see options, click on the right one after off (top 32). now on the screen a pop up will appear and click on the > arrow button and you can set the number of shots per sec...etc. or you can just \

sorry for poor grammer, i

Last edited by Cresho; May 8, 2011 at 3:44 AM.
Old May 8, 2011, 4:53 PM   #4

Even in EXR your can get up to 11 frames by pushing the "multi-frame" button on top, move over to "Best frame capture", click right on "set up" and select "shoot speed" and "number of frames."

But I agree, on regular modes, the freeze frame is sometimes a pain.

What I find particularly disconcerting is the focus issues in .MOV mode.
Hand held, even as low as 200 to 300mm, holding the camera on a still subject, the image goes in and out of focus all by itself, even using "spot focus" and staying on that spot.

It sure would be nice if a firmware update could resolve that. Video would be 10 times more useful if that was fixed. The slightly jerky zoom at least can be managed by user technique to some extent, but the focus issue cannot as far as I understand the system.
gfmucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2011, 5:08 PM   #5

agreed
Old May 9, 2011, 2:04 AM   #6

I'd rather not be put in the position of having to use a burst mode every time I want to take photos of fast moving subjects - be it sporting events, or flying insects/birds, etc.

To me, the focus freeze is more than a pain - it simply renders the camera useless with fast moving subjects.
And I don't know of any photographer who can guarantee that he/she will never want to photograph fast moving subjects.

I simply cannot understand Fuji's thinking with this. What possible advantage can the focus freeze give the camera?
On the contrary - it will be the reason - perhaps the main reason - that many, many people will look to competitors' versions of the same type of camera.
And that's a shame, because the HS20 is a nice camera with some interestingly unique features.
EOS RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2011, 6:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by EOS RT View Post
I'd rather not be put in the position of having to use a burst mode every time I want to take photos of fast moving subjects - be it sporting events, or flying insects/birds, etc.

To me, the focus freeze is more than a pain - it simply renders the camera useless with fast moving subjects.
And I don't know of any photographer who can guarantee that he/she will never want to photograph fast moving subjects.

I simply cannot understand Fuji's thinking with this. What possible advantage can the focus freeze give the camera?
On the contrary - it will be the reason - perhaps the main reason - that many, many people will look to competitors' versions of the same type of camera.
And that's a shame, because the HS20 is a nice camera with some interestingly unique features.
Sounds like it's time for you to get a refund. Or, if it's too late, sell it.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2011, 9:01 AM   #8

I think that is why many of us have more than one camera. No one camera does everything well or serves every purpose ideally.

The short review at Digital Camera HQ dot com sums up the HS20 as honestly and succinctly as I've heard.

It concludes: "It is in many ways the most impressive superzoom on the market -- if only Fuji had worked out the kinks."

Last edited by gfmucci; May 9, 2011 at 9:20 AM.
gfmucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2011, 10:37 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfmucci View Post
I think that is why many of us have more than one camera. No one camera does everything well or serves every purpose ideally.

The short review at Digital Camera HQ dot com sums up the HS20 as honestly and succinctly as I've heard.

It concludes: "It is in many ways the most impressive superzoom on the market -- if only Fuji had worked out the kinks."
The world is full of "if only's" and "I wish". However, we live in real life and not "if only". You stated it just fine in saying, "No one camera does everything well or serves every purpose ideally." We don't live in an ideal world. If we did, I wouldn't be paying taxes, having heart attacks, or the myriad of other things that detract from an ideal world.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote