Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jan 7, 2004, 9:24 PM   #1

Default S602 Lens Adapter?

Well, after looking at every review I could find, I just bought an S602 over the S5000 that I was looking at, and I think I made the right choice for me. The one big thing I'm wondering right now, though, is the lens adapter tube for the S602. On the S5000, it comes with the camera, and doubles as a lens protector / hood. The S602 I bought didn't come with one, and I'm wondering where I could find a good one. I looked on Fuji's website, but there was no info I could find...same story at a couple camera retailer websites I looked at. Does anyone know a good place to buy one online or offline? Also, does it double as a lens hood like the one on the S5000? Thanks a lot! Looking forward to putting my new camera through its paces soon!
paddyboy30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 7, 2004, 10:55 PM   #2
djb

both B&H and Adorama have the 55mm adapter ring for $44.95. i think some places have it for less. here's a url to a site that has a general brand for approx. $7. http://www.cameragear.com/adaptertubesfuji.asp

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2004, 4:07 AM   #3

If you buy a Fuji wide angle or tele lens it comes with one. But if you decide to go the Oly lens route then you'll need to buy the adapter separately. It doesn't double as a proper lens hood, and in fact that's a bit of an issue as I found the wide angle lens seems to easily find reflection and glare - but all the add on lenses come without front accessory rings, so only the right size push fit (rubber?) hood will fit if you can find one.

If you keep the accessory tube fitted you should click the 'external adaptor' option in the menu. This disables the secondary infra red focus but personally I've never found focus works any better with IR enabled anyway.

Don't forget if you intend keeping it fitted all the time you'll need an even bigger camera bag! VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2004, 6:59 AM   #4

Thanks guys. you mentioned a push fit lens hood...does anyone know where I could find one, if the adapter doesn't act as one? Also, as I'm pretty new to this, what are the benifits to having a lens hood on? The best I can figure is to maybe cut down on glare, and also to protect the lens...and maybe the zoom piece of the lens that extends out of the camera. Thanks again!
Old Jan 8, 2004, 2:04 PM   #5
djb

maybe i missed something but, the adapter has threads of 55mm for filters and lens hoods. any local camera shop should have 55mm filters and stuff.

dennis
Old Jan 9, 2004, 1:31 AM   #6

Erh?

After reading a few of these threads, most of the information seems to be directed at attaching different lenses.

I want to be able to put in any 55mm lense filter (mainly a UV filter) simply to protect the lense from dirt and dog noses (really). I want a simple yet robust solution - I don't want anything flimsy or that will imperil my camera..

djb - will the tubes advertised on the website you pointed to provide a robust solution?
Chaddows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2004, 2:38 PM   #7
djb

yes, i believe they will. they are made of metal and scre onto the camera at the base of the lens and the filter screws on at the end of the adapter. if you drop the adapter with camera attached you'll dent it but may save the lens. it'sthe only way to attach filters that i know about.

dennis
Old Jan 11, 2004, 10:56 AM   #8

djb........Yes the adaptor has a standard screw thread at the front, but the lenses you fit don't, so a hood has to push on a non standard lens ring size, whilst filters have to fit between the adaptor and the addon lens causing shading or at worst damage to the addon lens of you don't do it right.

I can't find hoods in UK that fit either Fuji lenses. Some folks claim to have searched through camera shop junk boxes and found hoods that fit. VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2004, 8:26 PM   #9

Thanks everyone! I looked up the fuji adapter ($45), and the link to the $7 one that you gave me. Other than the name on the tube, there's no real info on the difference between the 2 of them. Would the $7 one work as good as fuji's stock piece? I'd definately like to save almost $40, but I don't want to have to buy a few of the less expensive pieces because of breakage. Also, would the optical zoom still work with the tube installed?
Old Jan 12, 2004, 4:18 PM   #10
djb

the $7 should work and, yes the optical zoom will also work.

dennis