Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jan 8, 2004, 1:20 PM   #1

Default Camera Choice???

Hi. This is my first post on this site. I'm feeling alittle camera shy right now. I have been looking to upgrade from my current digital camera (an H.P. 315 purchased on a whim) to a camera that will allow me more control over capturing images of interest.
I have started with a budget, checked into available products, thrown out my budget, and narrowed down the field to what might be my best choices as of today. I am posting on this particular forum because as of 1-8-04 the Fuji S7000 is in the lead. My choices are...

1. Fuji S7000
2. Minolta A1/ or 7Hi dimage
3. Pentax istD
4. Nikon D100

What I need to know is ...

1. How durable is the S7000? Is the body all plastic, or is it more substantial?
2. Will buying lenses be a problem?
3. Is the focus device a hassle, or just a matter of preference? I currently have no control, so I don't have a point of reference.
4. Will this be a camera that I can grow into instead of out of in a few years?

I am being careful now because my choice is what I'll have for a long time, and I am looking for drawbacks. I am also losing many photo opportunities now because of the limitations of my current camera. We are under a blanket of ice and snow and the H.P. 315 doesn't do justice to the situation.
MoonGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 8, 2004, 8:40 PM   #2

Hello? Can anyone answer my questions? Anyone?
Old Jan 9, 2004, 9:22 AM   #3

I think people are hesitant to recommend a choice among various cameras, all of which have different strengths and weaknesses. They want you to read the reviews, go to the stores, and try out the cameras yourself.

Also, different people have different tolerances of being at less than the cutting edge of the market. You ask if you'll be happy with your new camera in a couple of years. It's hard to say. The S7000 has uninterpolated 6.3 megapixels and many programmed and manual features, more than enough for 98 percent of the market. However, maybe in two years there will be compact digicams with more resolution. Maybe the S9000 (I am making up this model number), the S7000's successor, will have 12 megapixels. Maybe there will be a 10X optical zoom camera with 6 megapixels for $350. Will you then feel the itch to get the newest? It's hard to say.

I have the S7000, having bought it two months ago. I like it. There is some noise visible in shots blown up on the screen. However, it's not enough to bother me. It's leagues beyond your HP 315.

The body is sturdy whatever it is. If it's plastic, it feels like some kind of super sturdy plastic. It feels well built, in other words.

Go to Best Buys or wherever. Put the cameras that interest you in your hands and see how they feel.

I think it is a good camera, especially at the prices now available on the web.

Good luck!
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2004, 10:01 AM   #4

Your requirements are very vague. What are your main interests in shooting styles. The cameras you list run from $600 (Fuji S7000) to $2000 (Nikon D100 with lens). Try to give us more information.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2004, 11:16 AM   #5

Thanks for the reply. I'm not going to be jumping on the next bandwagon that comes down the road, but I would like to get a camera with features that will allow me to transfer the image as I see it through the lens. That may seem like a tall order, but I don't want to be limited by the technology to take a shot of the moon shrouded in clouds, or a macro shot of a bumble bee hovering over my privet hedge. I am already stifled there by my current camera.

I have read reviews on many sites, and after awhile they all run together. These choices have been whittled down from all the available information I have gathered over the last three months from forums, magazines, personal opinions from other camera users, and the camera shop owner that I'm working with. I am looking at this Fuji because it seems to meet many applications. And you are right that I should get one in my hands, but right after Christmas, and in the middle of an ice storm "hands on "is not possible.

The requirements that I have may not be possible to meet with out spending the total annual income of a fast food worker, but...

1. Keep the price within the $1000.00 and under catagory, but possibly go higher if I can get a better camera. Maybe used?
2. Change, or adapt different lenses to take wide-angle, telephoto, or other specialty shots.
3. Will not need too many proprietary requirements to operate such as batteries, or a special doo-hickey to adapt to a thing-a-ma-bob.

I'm sure that this is not all, but I have to go to work now.
Old Jan 9, 2004, 12:01 PM   #6

I believe that the S7000 can meet the requirements you have outlined and within your budget. www.newegg.com has the camera for $584 with free shipping. You will want a 256 cf media card (maybe even a 512). You will also want rechargeable AA batteries and charger. You should even have room in your budget to look at telephoto and wide angle lens. Here is a link to Raynox for more info:

http://raynox.co.jp/english/digital/egfujis602.htm

The camera feels good in my hands and produces very photos.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2004, 2:38 PM   #7

Thanks!!! I knew I was on the right track. I will let you know what I've decided soon.