Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jan 13, 2004, 3:09 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimp
Any chance you could post some of your pictures?
You can have a look at my gallery stated below my sig

rgds
faizal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2004, 1:41 AM   #12

Default Fuji S7000 @ dpreview

> I very much hope that more and more S7000 users
> will come on here and give us the "Real" story of how
> the camera shapes up!

dpreview yesterday finally published their usual detailed
review of the S7000, at:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilms7000/

Anyone considering a Sony DSC-F828 certainly needs
to check out the S7000. The review arrived a bit too
late for me, I ordered an EOS-300D last week. Due to
the lack of a detailed technical review, the S7000
wasn't even on my short list.
Boundless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2004, 4:50 AM   #13

Default Re: Fuji S7000 @ dpreview

[quote="Boundless"]> I very much hope that more and more S7000 users
> will come on here and give us the "Real" story of how
> the camera shapes up!

dpreview yesterday finally published their usual detailed
review of the S7000, at:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilms7000/

Anyone considering a Sony DSC-F828 certainly needs
to check out the S7000. The review arrived a bit too
late for me, I ordered an EOS-300D last week. Due to
the lack of a detailed technical review, the S7000
wasn't even on my short list.[/quote

Thanks for posting the link to the review. I have to say, I have never seen any camera get so many contrasting reviews before. It seems like many of the pro-reviewers go to great lengths to give detailed reviews of the S7000, yet come up with entirely different test results and conclusions. Even the test pictures they shoot can differ greatly in quality, even at the same resolutions. I have read reviews that just trashed the camera, yet I have read reviews, even ones in professional photo magazines, that gave it rave reviews. It's just bizzare. In the end, I still wonder if the user reviews, and their sample pictures, are not the best "real world" conclusions for this camera. It was the user reviews that made me think about buying this camera in the first place, and then it was my own experience using it that sealed the deal. One thing is for sure, all of this makes the S7000 one of the most unique cameras I have ever owned.
BigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2004, 9:46 AM   #14

I agree BigMike it seems as if you either love the camera or you hate. There is no middle ground with this one. When I first read Steve's review I was like I need to find a different camera. So I started my search and I found that the users of the camera all loved it. Some posted their pics and they were as good as any other camera or even better. Reviewers have a specific purpose while doing their reviews and it is a very valuable service it allows us as the buyers to make educated choices on how we spend our money. But is a reviews word like God's, no it is not. It is then our responsibilty to look at all our options, which I belive is a combination of reviews from both users and reviewers and your own gut feeling and your own tests.
zace27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2004, 12:22 PM   #15

Hi
Just read the S7000 review at dpreview and i will not be getting the Fuji S7000 now.

If i read it right, the Fuji takes a picture at 12m/pixel and then downsamples it to what ever setting you have chosen i.e 6mp or 3mp. I don't like that idea at all. Also, if you look at the studio shots compared to the Sony the Fuji ones look so bad!

The End Sample shots in the gallery look very good though (pictures taken in London).

This Fuji is not for me i am afraid. I will either go for the S602 or maybe the Canon A80. The Olympus C750 looks good but it also has some problems that keep being mentioned all the time in Forums, i.e Loose fitting lens, Dead pixels and some not so good pictures!

I cannot see the point in spending a lot of money on the Fuji S7000. The Cons far outweigh the Good points for me.

Back to the drawing board!
chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2004, 2:26 PM   #16

Quote:
Hi
Just read the S7000 review at dpreview and i will not be getting the Fuji S7000 now.

If i read it right, the Fuji takes a picture at 12m/pixel and then downsamples it to what ever setting you have chosen i.e 6mp or 3mp. I don't like that idea at all. Also, if you look at the studio shots compared to the Sony the Fuji ones look so bad!

The End Sample shots in the gallery look very good though (pictures taken in London).

This Fuji is not for me i am afraid. I will either go for the S602 or maybe the Canon A80. The Olympus C750 looks good but it also has some problems that keep being mentioned all the time in Forums, i.e Loose fitting lens, Dead pixels and some not so good pictures!

I cannot see the point in spending a lot of money on the Fuji S7000. The Cons far outweigh the Good points for me.

It is obvious you are a little biased against the S7000, because you will also find just as many so-called pro-reviews that praise the S7000. Even many professional photgrapher magazines have raved about this camera. regardless, when it comes to the actual user reviews, meaning those that actual own the camera, there is no contest. I would venture to guess that at least 95 percent of them, or more, praise the S7000, and back it up with pictures they shot, to prove their point. All this makes me even more proud of this camera, because no other camera I know of has ever triggered this much response, and differing opinions, from reviewers, and the camera owners. Since I know the quality of picture this camera takes, that makes all of this even more fun.
Old Jan 19, 2004, 2:44 PM   #17
hst

Default Not a good comparison

I don't think they did a good job of comparing a 8MP Sony to a 6MP (actual) S7000. The reason the actual images look good to you is because you monitor is smaller than what they did when they cropped the images. The compression is also lower at 12MP than the 6MP. Take one of the 12MP shots and then view it at 50%of its actual size and you will see what I mean. It looks very clear and crisp and that is about what you can expect from a 6MP camera.. Take it to 100% and it looks bad but that is an image that is 4040x3040. The Sonys are 3264x2448 Take the sony up to 4040x3040 and see how it looks. They start to look the same.
hst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2004, 3:21 PM   #18

Default Re: Not a good comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by hst
I don't think they did a good job of comparing a 8MP Sony to a 6MP (actual) S7000. The reason the actual images look good to you is because you monitor is smaller than what they did when they cropped the images. The compression is also lower at 12MP than the 6MP. Take one of the 12MP shots and then view it at 50%of its actual size and you will see what I mean. It looks very clear and crisp and that is about what you can expect from a 6MP camera.. Take it to 100% and it looks bad but that is an image that is 4040x3040. The Sonys are 3264x2448 Take the sony up to 4040x3040 and see how it looks. They start to look the same.
Also, if you go into the forum, you will find mentioned that some of the photos got flipped, and what are suppose to be the Sony, are actually the Fuji shots. Hoepfully they have fixed it by now.
Old Jan 19, 2004, 5:04 PM   #19

Quote:
Hi

Also Chimp, as I found out in the forum at that site, some of the photos got flipped, and were actually the Fuji shots. If you want to buy a new camera, then no matter what reviews you read, you will only know if the camera is right for you by trying it out yourself. The S7000 is a perfect example. Why are you not considering all the great reviews? Why are you just focused on the bad ones? I have bought cameras where the reviews were mostly positive by the majority of pro-reviewers, and still ended up taking the camera back and getting one that wasn't as highly reviewed because I found it to be a better camera in my own opinion. There are a lot of people that own the S7000, some of them very experienced, and even professional photographers, and they like this camera. These are not all a bunch of stupid people, or less than capable of making a sound judgement just because they don't label themselves pro-reviewers. Hell, even the pro-reviewers can't agree on anything half the time, on this or any other camera. Even the pro-reviewers opinions are just that, opinions. Also, there are those that will take a chance and buy this camera, but after they get it home, will pick away at the pictures looking for flaws until their eyes are bloodshot, simply because some pro-reviewer said something negative about the camera, and it stuck in their head. It never ends.

Well, I have spent a lot of time lately helping to support the S7000, and have spent little time using it. The photo bug is once again biting, and I am eager to go back to snapping instead of yapping. Good luck on whatever camera you choose. Later!
Old Jan 20, 2004, 12:34 PM   #20

Hi

Can u post some of your pictures then bigmike? It would be good to see some. As for monitor size, i am using a 19" one, Quite new too.

I have been trying to warrent me getting a Fuji S7000 but i keep seeing these same niggling points coming up again and again. I have held the S7000 and tried it out but not 100% yet.

My mate has an older Fuji 6900 and that takes very good photos (with his help!) I am just so undecided!! There are a lot of people i have read on the net who have moaned about the S7000 and the noise they see in the pictures. This is off-putting to me buying one. I know they could be using it wrong but there are quite a few bad remarks out there.

The same can be said for nearly all the digital cameras on the market, i know. It is probably impossible to buy a 100% perfect digital camera, unless you are willing to spend mega bucks!

I am not slating the fuji. I just am saddened by the mixed reviews. I think that The Fuji cameras are probably the best built Digitals on the market.

Thanks for you input everyone. Lets keep the disussion going.
chimp is offline   Reply With Quote