Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jan 20, 2004, 1:33 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimp
Hi

Can u post some of your pictures then bigmike? It would be good to see some. As for monitor size, i am using a 19" one, Quite new too.

I have been trying to warrent me getting a Fuji S7000 but i keep seeing these same niggling points coming up again and again. I have held the S7000 and tried it out but not 100% yet.

My mate has an older Fuji 6900 and that takes very good photos (with his help!) I am just so undecided!! There are a lot of people i have read on the net who have moaned about the S7000 and the noise they see in the pictures. This is off-putting to me buying one. I know they could be using it wrong but there are quite a few bad remarks out there.

The same can be said for nearly all the digital cameras on the market, i know. It is probably impossible to buy a 100% perfect digital camera, unless you are willing to spend mega bucks!

I am not slating the fuji. I just am saddened by the mixed reviews. I think that The Fuji cameras are probably the best built Digitals on the market.

Thanks for you input everyone. Lets keep the disussion going.
Hi Chimp. I will try to get some pictures up. My main use for the camera has been portraits here lately, because it is winter, and so damm cold here in the midwest, that even outdoor shots have been difficult to get, especially minus a good snow storm. I will take some shots, and post them for you.

I just listed a positive review for the S7000, you might want to check out. The noise issue is only an issue at the lower res settings because of the compression. High res setting at fine have very little, and raw mode has none. Even though picture quality is excellent, and that is very important, it's the combination of all the other features that make this camera shine so much. Since you already have an excellent Fuji camera, this will not be like going from a low end digital, to a high end one, but you will gain some nice features and advantages. If you had the ability to buy the camera and try it out for yourself, with the option of returning within 2 weeks, like when you purchase something at Best Buy, it would be great. I would not want to see you stuck with something you wouldn't like. We all have different taste. All I can tell you, is that the camera has been a blast for me, and many others. It's not a perfect camera, if there was one, I would buy it. The noise issue is mainly a function of Fuji choosing to use less noise compression. I prefer this, because I shoot at higher res settings anyway, usually in raw format, so it's not an issue. At lower settings, I can choose the amount of noise compression during post, which lets me decide the tradeoffs instead of the camera. I have several cannon cameras, that use tons of noise reduction, and while the pictures are clean, it tends to soften the image more than I would like. I can always reduce noise post, but I cannot undo it once it's done in the camera.

Those who want straight out of the camera clean compressed jpegs, then the higher settings at fine should make them happy, and of course, in raw mode it's not an issue.

I"ll post a couple of pictures today, and qet back to you with a link...
BigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2004, 6:35 PM   #22

[quote="BigMike"]
Quote:
Hi

Can u post some of your pictures then bigmike? It would be good to see some. As for monitor size, i am using a 19" one, Quite new too.
Ilink...
Here are a couple of standard composition shots I uploaded, with the idea of normal styles people would be shooting with this camera. There is no post sharpening, or color correction, and they were shot in standard jpg format. Nothing special, just point and shoot everyday photos, for the sake of comparison. There is a family photo, a full zoom outdoor shot, and a super macro. No noise reduction has been applied to the first two shots, and only minor processing on the macro due to poor lighting in my kitchen Hope these help....

http://www.pbase.com/bigmikey
Old Jan 21, 2004, 12:09 PM   #23

Hi Mike

Lovely photos!

What M/pixel did you choose?

The 3 are very good indeed.
chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2004, 12:45 PM   #24

Quote:
Hi Mike

Lovely photos!

What M/pixel did you choose?

The 3 are very good indeed.
I beleive I shot the first two at 6 megapixels, and the macro at 12, if memory serves me right. I downsized them a bit before uploading, so they would be faster to view on the web.

By the way, after I uploaded these, I went out to get the mail, and the street in front of my house looked like a river. A water main broke in front of my neighbors house, under his sidewalk. Of course I had to get my camera I will upload a shot this afternoon.
Old Jan 21, 2004, 5:13 PM   #25

Default I have both these cameras - what do you want to see?

Hi Guys,

Let me know what you want to see (aside from portraits - I'm not set up for it) and I'll try to get comparison shots for you between the F828 an S7000.

They are both nice cameras and have different strengths and weaknesses. Briefly, the F828 has more true color in general and the S7000 has more out-of-camera "punch." That is the S7000 images default to a bit more contrast. Sky tones in the S7000 default to a bit too much green. Noise levels are similar and in the 12 megapixel resolution mode resolution is similar between the two.

The Sony is better in low light and can focus in complete darkness because of the red laser holographic focus aid and the IR beams. It would be nice if the S7000 had a focus aid light.

Noise is a bit higher on the S7000, but that's probably because the Sony can shoot at ISO 64 and ISO 100 while the Fuji starts at ISO 200. Both are pretty fast. The Sony doesn't momentarily loose the image in the EVF when the shutter is snapped and the Fuji does. Sony has a propensity toward purple fringe in back-lit and high contrast scenes, the Fuji doesn't have this issue in any serious way.

For distant detail in landscapes, I find the Sony to be superior. For closeup macro work I prefer the Fuji. Both have a degree of barrel distortion in extreme closeup macros - the Sony is worse but only by a bit.

The Fuji is much easier to change resolution quickly because of the external button. With the Sony it must be done through the menu. The 640x480 movie mode is nearly identical in function but you can zoom the Sony and not the Fuji. The Fuji movies are cleaner because it apparently uses a less compressed jpg.

The zoom on the Sony is slightly better because it starts at 28mm. Internal flash power is better on the Fuji. The EVF is great on both, but I prefer the brightness and appearance on the Fuji.

Manual zoom is very nice to have, but it's a personal preference and the zoom on the Fuji works very well.

Image quality is very good on each.

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2004, 6:10 PM   #26

Default Re: I have both these cameras - what do you want to see?

Thanks for the side by side comparison of the two cameras Linda. Sounds like, in the end, it comes down to what features you prefer, since you state both take excellent pictures. I have seen the fringing you are talking about with the Sony, in user pictures I have seen on the net. However, the distant pictures I have seen, as you stated also, are very good. For me, the features I prefer, still lean me toward to S7000, but i can see where somebody might prefer the zoom on the videos. Did you notice the videos picking up motor noise, or it causing focasing problems while zooming? The manual zoom ring is nice also. I have to agree that from the sample videos I have seen, that the video mode quality is better on the S7000, and the Macro and Super macro of the 7000 are hard to beat. By the way, I read last night about users getting around the 200 ISO limitation (I beleive it is actually 160) of the S7000 by using certain manual mode combination of settings, and getting excellent results. I saved the url because it was getting toward bedtime, and I was dead tired, but I will read the article and post what this is all about. Thanks again!

[
Old Jan 21, 2004, 7:06 PM   #27

Please make sure you also post the link BigMike.
zace27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2004, 7:51 PM   #28

Hi Mike,

No problem - glad if I can help. By the way it's "Lin" rather than "Linda" - wrong gender :-)

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2004, 7:54 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin Evans
Hi Mike,

No problem - glad if I can help. By the way it's "Lin" rather than "Linda" - wrong gender :-)

Lin
Oops! My eyes are not what they use to be
Old Jan 24, 2004, 10:57 PM   #30
hst

Default Im finally convinced

I really appreciate all the forums opinions. Thank you! I was having a difficult time deciding on a new camera. I looked closely at the 7000 but the reviews just seem to be somewhat bias toward the negative. Reading between the lines, it looks like they were looking at it as a 12MP and I only was looking at it as a 6MP. Well finally after much reading and hearing very positive comments from all of you I finally jumped in and ordered one on-line. I'll let you know how it works out when I have a chance to give it a workout.

Thanks
hst is offline   Reply With Quote