Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jan 24, 2004, 11:32 PM   #31

Default Re: Im finally convinced

Quote:
Originally Posted by hst
I really appreciate all the forums opinions. Thank you! I was having a difficult time deciding on a new camera. I looked closely at the 7000 but the reviews just seem to be somewhat bias toward the negative. Reading between the lines, it looks like they were looking at it as a 12MP and I only was looking at it as a 6MP. Well finally after much reading and hearing very positive comments from all of you I finally jumped in and ordered one on-line. I'll let you know how it works out when I have a chance to give it a workout.

Thanks
Hope you enjoy it as much as we have ours! Let us know how you like it! While your waiting, you can download the latest version of S7RAW, a freeware raw converter that's easy to use and very effective, compared to the lite version fuji sends on CD with the camera. They both work well, but the s7raw lets you edit the picture settings before converting, and the fuji does not. You will probably just want to take some 6/12 jpegs first though, to get your feet wet, so you will not have to worry about converting anything for now. Good luck!
BigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2004, 7:02 PM   #32
hst

Default Thanks for the RAW tip, One more question.

I loaded the program, looks pretty good. I took a sample RAW off another site and ran it through the processing. Can't wait to get my hands on the actual camera. I normally prefer to shoot raw because that seems to produce the best images on most cameras. That threw out a few camera choices since they didn't have the option. I do have a question still. When I went to Fuji, I looked over a few of the older models to see if their had been some firmware upgrades. I couldn't find any, just software upgrades. I'm now wondering if they have flashable firmware or if Fuji uses a non-flash firmware chip. I couldn't find the answer on their site and maybe I was in the wrong place looking.
hst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2004, 11:18 PM   #33

Default Re: Thanks for the RAW tip, One more question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hst
I loaded the program, looks pretty good. I took a sample RAW off another site and ran it through the processing. Can't wait to get my hands on the actual camera. I normally prefer to shoot raw because that seems to produce the best images on most cameras. That threw out a few camera choices since they didn't have the option. I do have a question still. When I went to Fuji, I looked over a few of the older models to see if their had been some firmware upgrades. I couldn't find any, just software upgrades. I'm now wondering if they have flashable firmware or if Fuji uses a non-flash firmware chip. I couldn't find the answer on their site and maybe I was in the wrong place looking.

I've read that their firmware is flashable, but Fuji so far has not released any firmware upgrades for the S line of cameras that I am aware of. They are not as liberal as some companys are about releasing firmware updates, but that will probably change soon. I remember back not to long ago when Canon seldom ever released a firmware upgrade, and now they have auto-updates. I think it's only a matter of time before Fuji does the same.
BigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2004, 9:49 PM   #34

Default Re: Im finally convinced

Quote:
Originally Posted by hst
I really appreciate all the forums opinions. Thank you! I was having a difficult time deciding on a new camera. I looked closely at the 7000 but the reviews just seem to be somewhat bias toward the negative. Reading between the lines, it looks like they were looking at it as a 12MP and I only was looking at it as a 6MP. Well finally after much reading and hearing very positive comments from all of you I finally jumped in and ordered one on-line. I'll let you know how it works out when I have a chance to give it a workout.

Thanks
Where did you order the s7000 from I am going to get one too. Jim
kardkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2004, 7:28 AM   #35
hst

Default I ordered from Dell

I ordered from Dell. They had a 10% off discount. I am a Premier Allience Partner with them and have had an excellent relationsship with Dell. I know you can get it for cheaper elsewhere, but I have worked with Dell for years and have had excellent sales and service with them which makes them the vendor of choice for me. I'm sure others could recommend some great on-line vendors also.
Old Jan 31, 2004, 4:16 PM   #36
hst

Default I finally got mine

The 7000 arrived today and I have been impressed so far. The auto focus is very fast compared to the 7HI I had and to the Canon G5 I had tried. The color is good and the noise is much lower than what I had expected from the reviews. I tried the RAW mode and it produced some very good images with almost no noise. I wish I had a hard drive to hold all the pictures as RAW.
Old Feb 1, 2004, 4:46 AM   #37

Could you please post some of your pictures in the forums at www.s5000.net , the S7000 section? We're trying to organize a monthly contest for S7k too, but we lack the users/photos

Best pictures will be published on the main site, and the winner receives 50-100MB account for uploading pictures, plus an URL like http://<user>.s5000.net

(PS. and that's each month!)
veedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2004, 6:49 PM   #38
hst

Default BigMike The 7000 is a great camera

I still don't know why all the reviews were so negative on the S7000. I have a 100 crop here of a Dimage 7HI 5MP (very high rating) and 100% crop S7000 12MP. The same individuals, both shots taken at about the same distance indoors with the cameras flash. The S7000 blows the more expensive Minolta away.

Dimage 7HI

S7000
Old Feb 5, 2004, 7:27 PM   #39

'nuff said! .

Enjoy the camera hst.

BTW, does anyone know that fuji has announced S3 Pro and S20 Pro? S3 Pro really looks delicious :P.

Rgds
faizal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2004, 10:53 AM   #40

Default Re: PHil do you have a 7000

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike
Quote:
Originally Posted by hst
Phil,
Do you have a 7000. I am wondering about portraits. In the reviews the faces don't have a lot of detail and look jagged. It could just be the way they shot the photos. Also the RAW could possibly fix that if its just a compression issue.

I'm strongly considering the camera also but I had a bad experience the a Minolta Dimage 7HI which was well reviewed but didn't produce consistant good images. It could have just been my own expectations were to high but for as much as I spent I expected more. The Fuji is much less expensive but I have heard a lot of possitives from users and the video mode looks impressive.
If you don't mind me entering my opinion here, as a S7000 owner, the camera has provided me with superb portrait shots. The main facts to consider is what you are going to do with the shots you take. Shooting pictures in 6/12 megapixels to view on a monitor will create pictures with jagged edges, but that's the fault of a monitors limitations, not the camera, and is true of any high megapixal digital camera. You either should convert the picture to a resolution that better fits your monitor, or shoot at a lower resolution. When printing, its a different story, and that's where the benefit of the extra resolution of this camera shines.

Also people should make sure they are viewing these pictures on their monitor at the correct bit depth, which for most folks running windows, would be 32-bit. This is important, because at 16-bit, the colors will not be correct, and more important, the picture will appear to have noise in it, because of the missing colors. Also, trying viewing you photos are higher resolutions, such as 1600x1200 to solve problems such as jagged edges. Keep in mind that when shooting at high megapixel settings, that even 1600x1200 is no where close to being a high enough resolution to view the photos correctly on your monitor, unless you view the picture in "actual size" which means having to pan the picture because most of it is outside the edges of your monitor.

Something I like a lot about the S7000 camera is that it does not add over-sharpening to the pictures, which my Canon camera does. I would rather do that post, if desired. You can always add more sharpness durring post processing, but it's very difficult to remove it once it's recorded into the picture. Most pictures I take with the S7000 need little to no extra sharpening.

Like many digital cameras, over-exposed shots can cause slight chromatic aberations (color fringing). There are several picture editing programs that will completely remove this, and it only takes a second to do it. Some methods, such as using photoshop to mask the aberations, is not a good method. Software that actually re-aligns the colors is the best method. Picture Window Pro is good program that will allow you to do this, and they have a full functioning 30 day demo on their website. A great program for any digital camera owner to have.

I have had more fun with my S7000 than should be allowed by law I am looking foward to summer because I love shooting macros of wild flowers, and insects. For now, winter in the midwest it giving me plenty of things to shoot.
I'm wanting to buy a new camera and Ive been looking hard at this camera and theres a mix in the reviews some love it others talk about bad imaging and alot of noise. I'm confused because this camera has all the features I want like speed shoting, 30 min of Movie taking, price. I have around $700 to spend. I have a Olympus 3020z and can't zoom enough on my kids during there soccer games or school plays. I also want to take photos of my kids and put them up on my wall .
tjacj is offline   Reply With Quote