Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old May 19, 2011, 11:05 PM   #1

Default HS20 errors

Any body experiencing lens control errors? Friends of mine have had to return their HS20'a for this problem. I was interested in getting one and wondered if it was common ?
Old May 20, 2011, 4:49 AM   #2

not on my end. how was the error determined?
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2011, 7:04 AM   #3

Nope. Not a one.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2011, 8:15 AM   #4

I do not know how many members here follow this forum, but i have never heard this kind of error.
Yes we like to know how exactly those errors came up, sinds you have a few friends who have this problems, strange

maybe from dpr ?
Old May 21, 2011, 12:01 AM   #5

their stories go like this

"it arrived on the 10th. I got it out of the box, turned it on, ran through the settings, fired off a test shot, then turned it off.

"Well, I tried to. It wouldn't turn off. I took the batteries out, put 'em back in, tried again - now it wouldn't turn ON. Oh, there it is, got it on - nope, the on/off switch is definitely not working, still won't turn off."
"
Switched on the HS20 and got "Lens Control Error" for the first time. It cleared itself after a few on/off attempts, but now I'm spooked. Good thing I haven't thrown out the box yet... !"

"Well my new baby is on it's way back to Amazon.
Yesterday it gave an error message of Lens control error.
I was able to clear it and take some photos during the day.
This morning the same message appeared and I was unable to clear it.
Out with the batteries and off to Amazon's website."

Apparently they both ordered from Amazon which has a quick turn around time, but maybe they got a bad batch?? I would hate to order one if this is indicative of how they work................Ring any bells?
Old May 21, 2011, 1:49 AM   #6

Well the only thing that i can imagine to get this kind off error, is to go in to software update an then try to switch off....very strange.
Or by pushing the fire button and on the same time switching off ? can't be.
Did they have the 1.02 firmware version already installed out off the box or not ?
Maybe it is radioactive...
Old May 22, 2011, 1:03 PM   #7

Here is the answer to that. Also I just read about the over heating problems some are experiencing in another post on this fuji thread. Doesn't look promising to me, perhaps I will wait tilll the bugs appear and are addressed.

"This last camera already had the firmware update in place. No, this is an actual circuit-board control error - while I was examining the camera during the duration of the error message, I could see that the lenses were actually shifted out of place. Any zoom lens is comprised of a LOT of lenses stacked strategically (I think the HS10/HS20 lens barrel actually houses a combination of some 15 elements to give that long reach, which is why these long-zoom lenses are never QUITE as fast in low light as a good prime lens) and I could see a curved shadow at the bottom of the screen that should not have been there. Anyone here with the Raynox lenses will know the image - it looked a bit like what you see through the Raynox when you have the camera at wide angle - except that the shadow was off-center. Top part of the screen looked normal, bottom part had the curved shadow. I literally whacked the base of the camera with the palm of my hand and turned it off/on a few times, and after a bit the message cleared and the screen looked normal/camera acted normally again - but since this happened in the FIRST WEEK of having it, I figured better safe than sorry. This error message is mentioned in the manuals of both the HS10 and HS20, with identical language - both describe it rather unhelpfully as a "camera malfunction" with a suggestion of returning it to Fuji if it continues.

If it had happened six or seven months in, I would probably have assumed "transient error" and not worried about it - but following on the heels of _____'s camera developing this as a chronic error so quickly, I returned it. Truth be told, if this THIRD camera I get has a similar error, I'm getting a refund and will get one elsewhere from another vendor." (other than Amazon)
Old May 22, 2011, 2:40 PM   #8

Bad luck i guess , someone is been playing football with those camera's there ? shifted lenses etc, how can a lens be out of place ? where would it shift to ? i am curious on the ghost view of the lens barrel off the HS-20 you can see that they are all the same diameter, so...the next thing that will happen is that when focussing the barrel will pop out
Let's have a picture off that shifted lens if possible
Old May 23, 2011, 9:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint View Post
Bad luck i guess , someone is been playing football with those camera's there ? shifted lenses etc, how can a lens be out of place ? where would it shift to ? i am curious on the ghost view of the lens barrel off the HS-20 you can see that they are all the same diameter, so...the next thing that will happen is that when focussing the barrel will pop out
Let's have a picture off that shifted lens if possible
Sorry, camera has already been shipped and replaced, Amazon is really quick, but the point is whether or not this issue should be taken into consideration before buying one?? Is this going to be something that is common like the FFB (first frame black) problem that KM had with their 7D's which resulted in most all of them having to go into repair.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 8:19 AM   #10

Slightly out dated post, but I'm also having this same problem.

First day, second time I turned the camera on the screen was blank (but backlit) and indicator lamp was blinking red. Described in the manual as a len or memory error.

Well this problem has been constant for a week now, but to force my desicion to have it exchanged, the camera always has a flat battery.

I'm an amature when it comes to photography, so my knowledge goes only as far as the full manual.

I'm using 12mth old 2600mA batteries that have hardly been used. They were charged in a 2hr fast charger and tested with a battery tester. The camera starts for 1 min and then shows a flat battery.

I cant start the camera to discharge them as the manual suggests, my charger and tester says there fine.

Forums seem to suggest new batteries would be the case, but they've only been charged 3-4 times in the last year.
amalething is offline   Reply With Quote