Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old May 21, 2011, 11:51 PM   #1

Default HS20 Issues

Well I thought their won't/wasn't any issues with the HS20 until this morning. Luckily I had my HS10 with me as a backup. Why I decided to pack it last night in the camera bag and leave the HS20 loose on top for transport and then through the HS20 over my shoulder I am not sure as my back up is usually an Olympus SW1050 when I am out and about........

I was shooting high school graduation and needed to get each student as they got their diplomas and all the other little moments. The entire ceremony was pretty fast paced as far as photos are concerned. I started shooting and had no issues until about 600 frames into the shooting when the students started to get their dipolmas and I starting fire off the shots as fast as the camera cleared from the previous shot. Quickly the red temperature warning indicator came on and then a writing message warning came across the screen which looked the shutter buttons ability to fire (warning me the inside of the camera was hot and to shut down the camera for a few minutes). I quickly turned off the camera and back on to see if I could clear the message and shoot more.

At first it worked fine but after 20 frames the written warning came up again. I opened and closed the battery compartment turn the camera off and on and 20 frames later it happened again. Opened the lid of the camera bag, grabbed the HS10 and started fireing off. Fired another 120 frames with no issues.

When it was over I grabbed the HS20 fired some post event shots (hugs, cake etc) and had no issues in the 150 shots I took (granted the camera did dit unused for maybe 20 or 25 minutes in between).

So it does seem when you tax the camera to its max and its warm outside (82 was the temp) you may have overheating issues or the cameras memory seems to think so and shuts down to avoid damage. So be prepared for that. I will be contacting Fuji and Fuji Repair center to see if they have any comments or if this does need repaired or if this is normal etc. I'll be interested to see how this camera functions in the dead of summer. The HS10 never had such an issue and I used it for several hours in a row covering a major brush fire when it was close to 100degrees last summer.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 22, 2011, 2:44 AM   #2

Which firmware is on the HS20 ?
Old May 22, 2011, 9:29 AM   #3

Yes, it would seem if Photo 5 upgraded the firmware, he would have said so.
gfmucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2011, 12:42 PM   #4

100 degrees here, no problems. firmware was updated already
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2011, 2:57 PM   #5

I am not sure what firmwear is on the camera to be exact the camera is packed a way for the moment and I will check on that. But I got more than the normal red indicator I got a the word indicator and then in locked up. I am wondering if I had overtaxed the processor inside and was heating the sensor but the camera and batteries were pretty normal temp.

dave
Old May 22, 2011, 5:10 PM   #6

Firmware is 1.02. Sent an e-mail off to Fuji to ask about this issue and if it needs repaired and how to go about doing so. I will report back based on findings.

dave
Old May 22, 2011, 7:39 PM   #7

While I've had no problems of any kind, I have had a couple of folks I know to have "lens error". Both purchased their camera through Amazon. Both returned and have already received replacements. One of them is on their SECOND HS-20 as the on-off switch was defective on the first camera. I'm thinking Amazon got a bad lot from Fuji. I'd be interested in what Fuji responds with seeing as you've got 1.02 installed.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2011, 8:03 PM   #8

gjtoth: Amazon.com is only a middleman. They themselves don't carry the stock, rather they give the orders to the company selling it on their site. But you get a discount which helps.

It isnt Amazon.com's problem, its the supplier.
Main area of "expertise": Landscape (beaches), Macro, Foliage, B&W
Saltine713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2011, 9:05 PM   #9

got mine through B+Hphotovideo.com I have not contacted them yet but basd on what Fuji tells me about th eproblem in general I may need too.

dave
Old May 23, 2011, 2:07 AM   #10

In another forum, it was reported that the first batch of cameras which were sold by fujifilm were with batch nos. 1AA, these are located in the bottom side of the camera. The cameras having this batch no had many issues and were called back by fujifilm and even amazon stopped the sales until it was resolved.

Now the new batch of cameras having batch no. 1BA are being sold and these include the new firmware factory installed, including the rectifications done in the camera.

Can you guys, check and report the batch nos. in your cameras, this can help people who haven't yet bought the camera and clarify if this message is correct or wrong.
saketb is offline   Reply With Quote