Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old May 30, 2011, 2:04 PM   #1

Default Finally bought Fujifilm HS20EXR

At last, I have got my own Fujifilm Finepix HS20EXR. After much waiting for about 2 months, I've this baby in my hands.

I would like to thank all the members who have posted many messages as well as wonderful pictures from this camera, which actually made me decide to buy this camera. Initially, there were many issues reported in other forums and elsewhere in web, but the kind people made my mind clear about this camera and here I've it.

I would like to especially thank, two forum members namely, Mr. Aman Jain (theironhorse) and Mr. Gary (gjtoth) for helping me out in this regard.

My First Impressions on the HS20 -

As, this is my first professional camera and I being serious in photography I had a lot of expectations from this toy. After, holding this camera for the first time, I felt like this was something not made for me. It felt like this was more than what I was expecting. The whole body was amazing, coated with rubberized grip that had a very good feel in the hands.

I then switched on the camera after putting the batteries and took my first picture in the EXR mode with all default settings. The first image taken was very grainy and I was like - something wrong... But later figured out that it took the image in ISO 1600 because of less light at the retail store.

When, I was home, I started to figure out different settings and taking different compositions and things started to work out. I got some good pictures which are posted below. I used the EXR Auto, ADV pro focus mode, manual mode and shutter priority mode to check different ways the camera takes photos.

Now that its 2 days since I have this great piece of engineering, I'm learning photography whenever I get free time. I liked the Area Focus option in the camera which is great for selecting any part in the composition and discarding the rest to out-of-focus. This works great.

Overall the camera is great and a beauty to have it.

I request all the members to have a look at the images (I know these are not great but just initial trials) and suggest any improvements with this camera.

Thanks,

Saket
Attached Images

saketb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 30, 2011, 2:23 PM   #2

Congratulations, Saket. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I am enjoying mine. However, I must caution you -- The HS-20, while being VERY good, is not a "professional camera". If you go into it with that mindset, you will be disappointed as you progress in your journey into photography. I don't want to spoil anything for you or dampen your enthusiasm for the camera. I just want to make you aware.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2011, 2:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
Congratulations, Saket. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I am enjoying mine. However, I must caution you -- The HS-20, while being VERY good, is not a "professional camera". If you go into it with that mindset, you will be disappointed as you progress in your journey into photography. I don't want to spoil anything for you or dampen your enthusiasm for the camera. I just want to make you aware.
Thanks a lot for the clarification on the camera. I was just over thrilled when I got this camera.

Are there, any particular setting to be changed so that the pictures improve?
Old May 30, 2011, 2:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by saketb View Post
Thanks a lot for the clarification on the camera. I was just over thrilled when I got this camera.

Are there, any particular setting to be changed so that the pictures improve?
That's a very personal thing. It all depends on what YOU like in your images. I have found out that "Velvia" makes my images a little TOO over-saturated for my tastes. But, that's MY preferences... not yours.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2011, 4:35 PM   #5

it is a personal choice like he said. I find your images a bit on the soft side. Try using these

P setting
auto iso 400 most of the time(indoor and outdoor shots/fast moving objects)
image size L 4:3
film simulation = velvia
image quality to fine (reduces jpeg compression artifact)
color low
tone hard
sharpness standard (reduces "pixelation")
noise reduction low (reduces painting effect)

you can also with color to low and using velvia under film simulation in that combination to reduce color noise .
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2011, 4:57 PM   #6

Hi

great to hear about your new investment!

It's all about having fun, and if a piece of equipment inspires and educates you, then you are in the best position on your journey of developing the art and craft of photography!

I just have one tip for you really, if you want to stop the barrel distortion in the first photo you posted (i.e you can see the ferrero rocher tray 'bending' as it if its 'breathing out' !!!! ) try using a longer focal length (zoom) to crop and frame the subject. This goes for portrait photograhpy as well - shoot from a distance - This will stop objects and faces from looking bulbous. Of course, there are times when close-up macro is the best option to use, such as flower photography!

Good luck with your new HS-20 and be sure to show us all your photographs!

And enjoy the chocolates and sweets haha!
Lifeforms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2011, 1:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeforms View Post
I just have one tip for you really, if you want to stop the barrel distortion in the first photo you posted (i.e you can see the ferrero rocher tray 'bending' as it if its 'breathing out' !!!! ) try using a longer focal length (zoom) to crop and frame the subject.

great tip! you can also post process in your favorite photo editor. but i hate doing all the work.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2011, 3:46 AM   #8

Thanks a lot everyone for the valuable suggestions and comments. Just wanted to make it clear that the bending in the ferrero tray is natural and not a distortion. The chocolate tray is made like that, I guess for attraction!!

Regarding the photo editor, I use Photoshop Elements 9.0, is this fine as I have just started to use it. Yet to learn lot of stuff. Everyday I am learning something new.
Old May 31, 2011, 6:27 AM   #9

i got mine too the same day... did you forget me sir ??

yet to click some good snaps and update..

congrats...
theironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2011, 11:44 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by theironhorse View Post
i got mine too the same day... did you forget me sir ??

yet to click some good snaps and update..

congrats...
Oh yes, and Mr. Aman also bought the same camera the same day in the evening. He is also very thrilled and happy about his purchase.

Waiting for your pictures Aman.... Post it asap.