Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jun 2, 2011, 6:36 PM   #1

Default HS10 vs HS20

I have the HS10 and am quite satisfied with it, having had good results. There are many excellent HS20 pictures posted here, and the HS20 should be a step up with the new processor, Yet a UK review of the HS20 claims it is noisy at ISO 400 and gets worse as you go higher. It concludes as follows:

Quote:
We really liked last year's HS10, but can't shake off the feeling that this year's upgrade represents a step backwards rather than forwards, principally because of the 16 megapixel sensor and the resulting drop in image quality. The Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR is still a good camera, with a long list of stand-out features and a logical, well-thought-out interface, but ultimately the photos that it produces just aren't as good as the model that it has replaced.
What has been the experience of those who own both? Is there enough difference to really worth making the move? Or should I stick with what I have? I do most of my shooting with DSLRs, but the Fuji has been useful as a second take along camera for its long reach, or just alone to carry for its versatility when not on a primary photo shoot and use of the DSLR is not anticipated.

The complete review is here:

http://www.photographyblog.com/revie...ew/conclusion/

Link is to the conclusion page, but you can back up to the rest.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 2, 2011, 8:05 PM   #2

It's BS, Penolta. I've had it up to 3200 and it's entirely usable. It's another case of a reviewer not taking the time to REALLY get to know the camera. The EXR system added to enhanced features, much better battery life, and a LCD that is HIGHLY improved make the HS-20 worth the upgrade. Having said that, I must also add that it's had it's fair share of duds with bad on/off switches, lens error messages/lockups, and high heat warnings (although, that has supposedly been addressed in the firmware upgrade). I got mine back in April and have had none of these problems.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2011, 9:19 PM   #3

I use it up to 1600 and the images are very useable by our local newspaper.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2011, 4:37 AM   #4

I admit its noiser than the s20exr and hs10 but its settings based. The sharper you go, the noiser it gets but thats why you have noise reduction. Now if you keep noise reduction low and keep it in standard sharpness, the pictures come out clean. Also color. I keep color low but use velvia. I use 1600 auto mode and pictures are usable.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2011, 1:04 PM   #5

I have an HS10 and have noticed the auto ISO settings, what do these mean?
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2011, 5:43 PM   #6

You can set the camera to the Maximum ISO you want it to use when shooting an image and then the camera will pick the best ISO up to that value for each picture-shot. So if you set the Auto ISO to 1600 it will shot any value up to 1600 meaning 100, 200, 400, 800 and 1600 will be used based on what the camera thinks is the best value for each pictures. I have mine set to Auto ISO 1600 and find that it works for me.........

dave
Old Jun 3, 2011, 5:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresho View Post
I admit its noiser than the s20exr and hs10 but its settings based. The sharper you go, the noiser it gets but thats why you have noise reduction. Now if you keep noise reduction low and keep it in standard sharpness, the pictures come out clean. Also color. I keep color low but use velvia. I use 1600 auto mode and pictures are usable.
My opinion is that the HS10 and HS20 have about the same amount of noise using the same type of settings..........
Old Jun 3, 2011, 10:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo 5 View Post
My opinion is that the HS10 and HS20 have about the same amount of noise using the same type of settings..........

I disagree !, i used them both and there is quite a difference.
Does anyone own the HS10 and the HS20 together now, he could show us.