Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jun 4, 2011, 3:15 PM   #1

Default Best settings on my HS20EXR? (for trip to Italy)

I am new to photography and just bought a HS20EXR.

I would like some advice on settings for various circumstances.

(1) When I am inside the Vatican, what are some good settings?

(2) When I am outside strolling the streets and taking pics of the outside locations (assume good sunlight during June), what are some good settings?

I seem to always have trouble with slightly blurred pics.

Also, some people have told me to NOT take pics with 16 megapixels, but instead something closer to 8-12 MP (M 4:3). Is this correct?
artnalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 4, 2011, 3:28 PM   #2

I have been shooting at 12MP with my camera in order to keep file sizes down. I did shoot an entire wedding at 16MP and had no issues with the pictures.

Inside if the light is low use the high ISO and low noise feature and use the flash if allowed.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2011, 5:51 PM   #3

I used to do the same, shoot at a lower MP...then someone said 'why buy it then?'
I found if I buy the better camera, use all it has or why have it?
I shoot at 14, use a good chip in the camera, have not run out of memory yet. Even if I don't erase enough. When I download to a computer I look at the pics, delete the ones I do not like or are fuzzy right off. I also go through pics at a later time and toss some I had not before.

See, you can always resize your pics to a smaller size, say when you crop down to get a better look at something in the center of the shot. It does lower size.

But, Once you shoot at 12 you cannot get 14, you can lower the resolution from 14 to 12. So, if I want to put it on here I go to resize and it has it all set to 1024, just right. BTW I just use windows live photo gallery...it has the basics.

I shot my nephews, came out cool. As good as the pros with the Canon. Sent my Nephew a Disk...I was at different spots from the pro, made sure of that. Took a lot of candids of guests...etc.
lisalonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2011, 11:53 PM   #4

Another thing about shooting at 12Mp on my Fuji HS20 (16MP max), is that the local newspaper I shoot images for told me the image were way bigger than they as soon as I got my HS20 and sent them the first batch which were shoit at 16MP. They also told me they were having to resizing every image down to 12MP before they did any editng and told me to please shoot at 12MP with my HS20. They are very happy with the images.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2011, 4:24 AM   #5

If you are inside look out for the white balance, take e few test shots in different modes from the same subject, with an without flash if allowed ,then go on , that is how i would try it .
Old Jun 6, 2011, 10:35 PM   #6

Default Study modes in SP settings

If your trip is just around the corner and you don't feel real confident in using manual settings, at the very least study and experiment with the various SP settings. They are already tailored to various types of scenes and automatically set the speed, f stops, white balance, and ISO to best fit the occasion. Most times it works perfectly.

For example, in a place where you can't use flash indoors, have SP 1 preset for "Natural Light". Have SP 2 preset to "Landscape" for when you go outside to shoot scenes of buildings, etc. It is good to have a monopod with you. Some places won't allow tripods because they tend to trip people and are awkward to carry around. Monopods are usually permitted and allow you to get dimmer areas without blur. A bean bag would also be nice to carry for indoor situations to help you stabilize the camera against an object.

Experiment with the other settings as time permits. Sometimes on tours you have to reset things pretty quick and don't have time to decide on the best manual settings.

Last edited by gfmucci; Jun 6, 2011 at 10:45 PM.
gfmucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2011, 4:56 AM   #7

Thanks. I plan on playing with the camera this weekend, as I leave next weekend.

Any other guidance is appreciated. Any particular settings that people have used in similar settings is welcome.

I have found some success in P mode with various settings for color, tone, ISO, etc. But I have not taken a lot of outdoor pictures of buildings/monuments. I need help in this regard.
artnalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2011, 8:45 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by artnalex View Post
Thanks. I plan on playing with the camera this weekend, as I leave next weekend.

Any other guidance is appreciated. Any particular settings that people have used in similar settings is welcome.

I have found some success in P mode with various settings for color, tone, ISO, etc. But I have not taken a lot of outdoor pictures of buildings/monuments. I need help in this regard.
Hi,

I worked around with the camera the whole last week and took about 800 photos with different settings and compared them all. My final assessment would be as below:

For all modes other than EXR:
ISO : 400 Auto (max 800 in low light)
Image Size : M 4:3 8MP
Image Quality : Fine
Dynamic Rance : 200
Film Simulation : Velvia
Color : Low
Tone : STD
Sharpness : Soft
NR : Low
ISO : 400 Auto (max 800 in low light)

EXR:
If you want to use the EXR mode use the "D-Range Priority" with ISO Auto 400 in day time and "High ISO & Low Noise" in evenings & nights with ISO Auto 800.

Do not use the EXR Auto mode as this bumps up the ISO upto 3200 even sometimes in day light and spoils the photos.

Zoom:
Important for zoom beyond 500mm, a minimum of 1/750 sec shutter speed is required for blur free images. You can take this in Shutter Priority Mode.

Sweet Spot:
The camera's sweet spot is F8 which gives a good, sharp image. Take in Aperture Priority Mode.

Even after these settings a little PP has to be done to get the best picture.

I hope this helps....

Last edited by saketb; Jun 11, 2011 at 8:49 AM.
saketb is offline   Reply With Quote