Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jun 5, 2011, 3:22 PM   #1

Default Some Spring Pics (F72 EXR)

A few of my shots taken in Princes Street Gardens and St Andrew's Square in Edinburgh.

mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 6, 2011, 4:28 AM   #2

Now these are crisp and clean. Great angles and very artistic. Fuji cameras especially the pocket ones are my favorite choices. for some reason, the other brands just don't do it for me. I have an old j...something. I always get commends like, "what camera did you use, the colors are very good" or "my camera sucks compared to yours" funny.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2011, 1:37 PM   #3

Outstanding images. My favs are 1 , 4 and 5.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 4:24 PM   #4

Thanks for the nice comments, guys. I usually take my DSLR and macro lens into Edinburgh to take pics of whatever is blooming, but as our weather has been so unpredictable of late I didn't want to be carrying a heavy bag on my back all day unless I was sure I was going to get to use the equipment. (I'm only 5 foot 2 and weigh around 100lbs.)

Anyway, I liked that using the compact made me look at the subjects a little differently
Old Jun 14, 2011, 4:36 AM   #5

Really nice shots, mono, if I may say so. You've demonstrated that you don't necessarily need a DSLR to throw the background out of focus - and on that subject, it rather looks like the lens has very pleasant bokeh.
pentode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2011, 3:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentode View Post
Really nice shots, mono, if I may say so. You've demonstrated that you don't necessarily need a DSLR to throw the background out of focus - and on that subject, it rather looks like the lens has very pleasant bokeh.
Thank you. I must admit it took me longer to figure out this camera than all the previous digital compacts I've used, but once I understood its limitations, I became happier with the results I was obtaining. I think because you know the background isn't going to be as out of focus as it could be with an DSLR, you give it more consideration when you're taking the shot.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 8:18 AM   #7

Nice pics !

But really, how do you achieve such nice DOF with a P&S ? Any tips ? I use a Sony WX5...
Sony DT 50mm f/1.8 SAM

Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD
Tamron SP AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di USD XLD
Marawder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2011, 4:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marawder View Post
Nice pics !

But really, how do you achieve such nice DOF with a P&S ? Any tips ? I use a Sony WX5...
The flower shots were taken in macro mode, aperture priority (with as wide an aperture as was possible, depending on how much I zoomed in) and I looked for subjects that were fairly isolated from their backgrounds. Hope this helps a little, I'm afraid I've had no experience of Sony cameras.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 2:54 AM   #9

Do note that this camera actually has only one aperture - wide open. I think the reasoning is partly to do with the fact that the lens/sensor combination is at the diffraction limit anyway, and further stopping down may only tend to degrade the image. There's usually plenty of depth of field anyway, as we're all only too aware.

What happens when the camera (or user) switches to the other "aperture" is that a neutral-density filter is wound in, and this reduces the light to the sensor by about 2 stops. Actual aperture is the same, so the DOF will be unaffected.

Usually, the camera won't need to use the ND filter, because it can take the shutter speed up to 1/2000 sec. But if you're using DR200 the limit is 1/1000 sec, and for DR400/800 it's 1/500 sec. So you'll find that the camera will wind in the ND in bright conditions, and the shutter speed will drop to maybe 1/125 - which is just what you DON'T want if you're zoomed-in.

It gets worse: assuming your F72 is the same as my F70, there's a bug which means that, in P mode, the 1/500 sec shutter speed limit is set regardless of DR value; so, even if you set DR100, in P mode you're going to be lumbered with a slow shutter. The way round this is to put it into "Aperture" Priority mode and set the "aperture" to widest.

This doesn't apply to EXR mode - if you're at DR100, you'll get the correct 1/2000 sec limit. (Do note that you don't need to be in EXR mode to have expanded DR available; P mode is just as good - better in fact, as you're not stuck with an auto-ISO mode.)

For what it's worth, here's how I use my F70:

1. Low-light conditions: EXR mode with DR100 set. This will give me good noise performance, though I'm stuck with auto-ISO.

2. Good light conditions: generally, P mode with low ISO, and DR200/DR400. If highlight detail is important, EXR mode and DR800.

3. Bright conditions and fast shutter required: "Aperture" Priority mode with ISO 100 and DR100, as explained above.
pentode is offline   Reply With Quote