Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jul 18, 2011, 2:46 PM   #11

HS30 could be here in 7 - 8 months, the HS10 lasted about 9 months before being replaced.

Why are you so quick to say 'I will not buy SX30IS or panas' ?

ok, the Canon does suffer from C.A. purple fringe issues, did you also look at Panasonic FZ40/45 ? almost the same as FZ100 but better image quality, but looses out with no hot shoe, or no tilting lcd
Old Jul 18, 2011, 3:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimbobo View Post
...well.. I am still considering this cam against the HX100V.

I cannot stop thinking about how many excellent pics I have seen taken by the HS20, but also about all "known" issues, and at the same time the general quality, the "easy to use" and good comments/reviews of the HX100V.

I will not buy the SX30IS, or the Panas.
The fight is between the Fuji and Sony.. the Fuji is also much cheaper than the Sony.

I wonder if they ever will make a new firmware to stabilize focus or they will pull out a HS30 instead.

Regards
There are valid rumours of FUJIFILM releasing an HS30 - having a much larger sensor (APS-C sized sensor) with a fixed lens of a slightly less focal length in order to get maximum quality from it and for it to be tailored more towards the DSLR market user who doesnt want to swap lenses etc etc
Lifeforms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2011, 7:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeforms View Post
There are valid rumours of FUJIFILM releasing an HS30 - having a much larger sensor (APS-C sized sensor) with a fixed lens of a slightly less focal length in order to get maximum quality from it and for it to be tailored more towards the DSLR market user who doesnt want to swap lenses etc etc

your turning me on lifeforms.....
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2011, 12:50 AM   #14

Thanks to both,
the bigger senson could be great, I do not care about megapixels, if they cannot carry quality.
I have written to Fuji in Japan...
If an HS30 solves the issues with focus, image stabilization, and a more "acceptable video" could be graet..
Nothing is perfect, but with few changes they could "hit the jackpot".

Regards
bimbobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2011, 12:55 PM   #15

The release date and shipping date in US for the HS10 and HS20 was a year apart. Sure 9 months after the HS10 was out the info on the HS20 came out;. The HS10 was a very popular selling camera for Fuji....... I believe that around April 2012 the HS30 will be available and if has a larger sensor and can zoom 20x or so I would gladly take a serious look at it myself. I love my HS10, loveX2 my HS20 and who knows how much I could love the HS30.

I don't think the way your speaking about acceptable video as I find the video acceptable that a Fuji camera or a digital camera for that matter will ever giv e you that. You give me the idea for video to be acceptable it has to be pefect and for that you need an HD camcorder........

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2011, 1:27 PM   #16

..thanks..you are right.
After seeing example of video in "center focus" I agree.

The most common thing I read is that this cam in the right hands can do really good.

I am not an expert, so I only would like to start with EXR to get some good photos. My fear is that I will not have the "feeling" to get the best of the rest of the features.

I am not happy that the HX100V has lots of "internal" processing...and give you the images the way "it thinks" they should be. But it seems pretty damn easy to use and fast in focusing.

So I am in nowhere land, today I was 2 times about to click "order" (the HS20), but my internal safety valve said "wait"...

I am a novice, but I do like to "experiment" (and work as IT Supporter) so I am used to work with some electronics.. a bit, but I would like to have good pics from start, and after a "positive" feeling, start to play for better stuff.

Thansk for all the advices.. I can feel all you like the cam.

Regards

Last edited by bimbobo; Jul 19, 2011 at 1:30 PM.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 4:30 PM   #17

I have an HS10 and am quite satisfied with it - so much so that I didn't see the need to upgrade. However I am a fan of Sony cameras,and bought an HX 100 because it sounded so good on paper. I kept it all of one day and returned it. The HS10 (and I assume the HS 20 is the same) is unique among EVF P&S cameras in having a full time dedicated manual zoom ring and a separate focusing ring that can be used manually - you can operate both simultaneously with one hand, essential when taking macros of insects that don't sit still for long. The Sony has only one that you have to switch back and forth between functions, which was the deal breaker for me, since I do a lot of insect photography and this annoying feature is very inconvenient for quick use. Besides, although it does "automatic" macros, there is no separate macro setting. Some may disagree and may well comment further, but IMO for my use, Sony made a serious mistake with this design - too simple for anyone who wants control of this or its many other fine features. Adjustments may be possible, but not always quickly. For point and shooters, it does many things well, without asking the photographer to think much about how to get the best picture possible in any situation.

The HX100 is a good camera which does many things well, but if you want to experiment with control, get the HS20.

Last edited by penolta; Jul 19, 2011 at 4:40 PM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2011, 3:35 AM   #18

That's the big "doubt" for me.
I would like to make simple things and afterwards begin to "play".
The Sony gives me the first thing the HS20 the 2nd one.

The HS20 seems uncomplete with things that are very stupid and shows some kind of negligence.

That's what I read and understand:

1) Auto is useless, so EXR is the choice.
2) I saw a video clip, where you could hear the focusing noise during the video...(sloppiness from the engineers and quality control)
and you need in any case to use center focus, still with noise of focusing too.
3) At long tele images quality/focus decreases and struggles unless you use tripod.
4) At high ISO over 400 is not very good anymore.

I can play with the cam, but it's not a bridge/entry cam for beginner.
If I am wrong, please let me know.
No cam is perfect, but it seems the devs of this cam were too busy to push it on the market.

Regards

Last edited by bimbobo; Jul 20, 2011 at 3:38 AM.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 7:38 AM   #19

Who told you about point "3" , name another camera which does better for this price, and on 320mm focal length , otherwise edit your post please.

And if you start to compare camera's and IQ keep the price in mind .
I own my second D90 and i must say compared to my second HS10 there was a difference in IQ, but the D90 with lens costed 3 times the price of the HS10.

Now compared to the HS20 the IQ is very very small seen on 19" 4:3 TFT, so ...
Old Jul 21, 2011, 2:20 AM   #20

I ordered the cam through Amazon..
I can return it within 30 days if I am not pleased with it.
Then I saw the announce of the Pana FZ47/48 which sounds very interesting.. CCD and "only" 12 MP..
I hope the HS20 will allow me a good "auto start" and to learn it after a while.
I need to be able to take good pics in "easy mode" right away.

Thanks to photo5 for its help (in private messages) :-)
Regards