Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jan 14, 2004, 7:18 PM   #11

the trick is to take the shots in soft sharpening, instead of normal or hard. and later, do some PP in photoshop, paintshop or other PP softwares.

Good luck

Rgds
faizal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2004, 2:47 AM   #12

Hi

I very much Disagree with your comments faizal.

Why spend x amount on a camera only to have to go into a photo editing program to make the pictures look "normal"!

I would rather buy a camera that produces great pictures form the outset.

I think Fuji have got it wrong with the S7000 if it means that the pictures have so much noise that you have to change settings too much on the camera or edit things in a Photo program.

I think that the Fuji S602 does a better job with really superb photo quality.
chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2004, 5:21 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimp
Hi

I very much Disagree with your comments faizal.

Why spend x amount on a camera only to have to go into a photo editing program to make the pictures look "normal"!

I would rather buy a camera that produces great pictures form the outset.

I think Fuji have got it wrong with the S7000 if it means that the pictures have so much noise that you have to change settings too much on the camera or edit things in a Photo program.

I think that the Fuji S602 does a better job with really superb photo quality.
The noise issue is almost getting to the point of being silly. Almost all owners of the S7000 camera agree that when used properly, there is no noise issue. Unlike the S602, which is a 3 megapixel camera, the S7000 is 6/12 megapixels, which results in incredible prints, and the ability to greatly enlarge cropped photos, but it also presents unique situations when trying to view photos of that high a resolution on a computer monitor. Simply put, the pictures are not going to be correctly viewable. You are better off taking lower resolution pictures for viewing on a monitor screen. People also need to have their desktop set to 32 bit, not 16 bit, as some do.

While I agree that the S602 is a great camera, the S7000 had the added abilities that I needed, and is why I bought it. The picture quality is superb. If you want the best picture quality, then use the raw mode, which is why it is there on all high end cameras. Compression produces some noise, on all cameras, it's the nature of the beast. Shoot raw and then convert choosing your own compression levels, like the pros do. I highly recommend the S7000 if you are a serious shooter...
BigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2004, 8:39 AM   #14

I am very pleased with my S7000 and I am getting great pictures from it. Super detailed photos, great photo quality; the camera has great and easy to use features.

Maybe I don't know how to identify noise in a digital photo, but the photos that I am getting from the S7000 are superb.

PS I uploaded some misc photos to Webshots. I hope that the link works.

http://community.webshots.com/album/105090881ZSYnse
jmdavila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2004, 9:53 AM   #15

true that what's the point of buying a DC if you have to do PP later...but noise in S7000 is just one small issue compared to other goodies offered by S7000.

I bet you that you seldom heard other problem beside noise issue. still, even thre is noise in the pic, there are other software to reduce it...Neat Image is very popular among photogs.

i have read that even if users seen noise in the pics but when they print it, there is no noise at all! and the pic came out very good.

i leave to you.... i had the same problem as yours before i finally got myself an S7.

again, good luck
faizal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2004, 10:54 AM   #16

thanks guys, you have helped me massively in deciding what camera to buy and it's the S7000 .

next question, what's the best sort of memory to use?
CF, MD, xD, SM?

a photographer i was speaking to a while ago said its best to use CF instead of MD i never asked why (silly me) what could he have meant?
Liam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2004, 11:09 AM   #17

I would choose the CF because that is what I already use. What memory are you using in your current camera? If you do not have a current camera then CF will give you more bang for the buck.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2004, 11:14 AM   #18

SM, only type of memory it will take. its a 2800z ops:
Liam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2004, 11:18 AM   #19

S7000 will only use CF, XD or microdrive. CF memory is less expensive than XD. I never used a microdrive so I can not comment but it is suppose to be fast.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2004, 11:45 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam
thanks guys, you have helped me massively in deciding what camera to buy and it's the S7000 .

next question, what's the best sort of memory to use?
CF, MD, xD, SM?

a photographer i was speaking to a while ago said its best to use CF instead of MD i never asked why (silly me) what could he have meant?
One of the cool things about the S7000 is that you can use two different memory cards at once. I had plenty of CD cards laying around before I bought the S7000, so I just bought an XD card so I could have two memory cards in the camera at the same time. This has worked out extremely well. Microdrives are said to consume more power, and some suffer from over heating, especially the larger cards, so I have avoided them, even though many people report using them without any issues.
BigMike is offline   Reply With Quote