Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Aug 1, 2011, 4:38 PM   #21

Yes I use spot metering too. should have mentioned that. Also the DR on mine is set to 100, for some reason I think DR200 adds to much contrast at times........

dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint View Post
Hello

Go fo for "Noise R Standard ",
"Metering = Spot" ( no multi, i have no good experiences with this)
Color = Hard
DR = 200
Tone =Standard
AE = Spot
AF = continu

The rest is the same here

Have a good vacation
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2011, 2:31 AM   #22

.. my enthusiasm for the cam is fading away with the increase amount of pics I am taking.
Maybe 1000 pics, so far, 95% are not keepers.

I have tried every single settings I received from you, and I can see the improvement, but I cannot see the "results" that all of you point at when I read your comments about this cam.

As I said, I doubt it's the cam, unless a buggy one", but I get frustrated by seeing the output.

The noise also in "print size" is not OK, I miss the sharpness I see from other pics on the net made by the same cam. Especially indoor the results are poor, the cam push ISO always at the top.. If I choose Auto 400 then it's 400, if I choose Auto 800 the same, even when there is light enough to shoot 200 or 100.

Outdoors, with few exceptions, I have no sharpness and crispiness.

My wife saw some of the pictures and pointed that on the spot. She has not taken a pic yet with this cam, so she is "reliable" in the judgement.

I think I tried everything, Auto, EXR in all the options, P mode in all the possible combinations. Everytime I connect the cam to the PC I am actually worried about what I will see, and indeed it's not good.

All the pics look well in the cam's LCD when pushing the shutter button half way to focus, but on 15", 22", 32" and 42" monitors/TVs we have home.. only few are acceptable in term of sharpness, depth, colours and noise ( which is there in 99%) unless the image is taken at ISO 100/200. (I do not see them in 100%.. resolution.)!

What to do?
1) returning the cam? I like the cam itself.. I cannot see another cam of same "bridge type" to the price and features
2) Keeping it and hope that with time I find the magic combination/settings?

I am really in doubt and I must say, I have not expected this "difficulty".
I have had several P&S cam, and I still have the Canon A610 and I normally get 90% of good pics, even though I have no long zoom, Super Macro and some "fine" options.

Sorry for "throwing" all my frustration in the forum, I made progress with the HS20 but I am now in "nowhere land".. Because the progress made moving from Auto to P are stopped and now I am not going forward anymore.

Thanks for "listening"
Regards

Last edited by bimbobo; Aug 2, 2011 at 2:37 AM.
bimbobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2011, 7:28 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimbobo View Post
.. my enthusiasm for the cam is fading away with the increase amount of pics I am taking.
Maybe 1000 pics, so far, 95% are not keepers.

I have tried every single settings I received from you, and I can see the improvement, but I cannot see the "results" that all of you point at when I read your comments about this cam.

As I said, I doubt it's the cam, unless a buggy one", but I get frustrated by seeing the output.

The noise also in "print size" is not OK, I miss the sharpness I see from other pics on the net made by the same cam. Especially indoor the results are poor, the cam push ISO always at the top.. If I choose Auto 400 then it's 400, if I choose Auto 800 the same, even when there is light enough to shoot 200 or 100.

Outdoors, with few exceptions, I have no sharpness and crispiness.

My wife saw some of the pictures and pointed that on the spot. She has not taken a pic yet with this cam, so she is "reliable" in the judgement.

I think I tried everything, Auto, EXR in all the options, P mode in all the possible combinations. Everytime I connect the cam to the PC I am actually worried about what I will see, and indeed it's not good.

All the pics look well in the cam's LCD when pushing the shutter button half way to focus, but on 15", 22", 32" and 42" monitors/TVs we have home.. only few are acceptable in term of sharpness, depth, colours and noise ( which is there in 99%) unless the image is taken at ISO 100/200. (I do not see them in 100%.. resolution.)!

What to do?
1) returning the cam? I like the cam itself.. I cannot see another cam of same "bridge type" to the price and features
2) Keeping it and hope that with time I find the magic combination/settings?

I am really in doubt and I must say, I have not expected this "difficulty".
I have had several P&S cam, and I still have the Canon A610 and I normally get 90% of good pics, even though I have no long zoom, Super Macro and some "fine" options.

Sorry for "throwing" all my frustration in the forum, I made progress with the HS20 but I am now in "nowhere land".. Because the progress made moving from Auto to P are stopped and now I am not going forward anymore.

Thanks for "listening"
Regards
Read "The Digital Photography Book" by Scott Kelby. Other than that, the only advice I can offer is to send it back and get a P&S that you feel produces IQ to your standards.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2011, 8:22 AM   #24

I am experimenting... and I am reading photography book for beginners.

I cannot ask more advices, I got plenty, and thanks for that

Now it's up to me. So I just post comments here, because you deserve to see how it goes.

I tried the settings that you guys gave me, and this morning I saw that the camera begun to shoot at 8MP even though I did not use EXR or other options. Weird. The pics were not even bad, and at 1600X1200 the quality was good.
Now I sterted again with 12MP 16:9 and will take more pics to see if I can keep that quality.

I wish somebody of you guys could be here 1 day to see what I got as results. ;-)
Regards
Old Aug 2, 2011, 12:50 PM   #25

well if you want noiseless images at 16:9 aspect ratio, try

for outside, use iso 100 but indoors force auto 400

Use A, S or P.

don't use EXR nor auto nor the regular modes because all they do is add noise.

change settings to each a, s, or p because they differ when changing.
image size L 16:9
image quality F
dynamic range, force dr100 (do not use auto) (reason being when you use higher DR, you get more noise)
film simulation STD (if you use velvia, you get more noise)
color mid (if you go higher on color, colors are more pleasant here than velvia. Less noise but use only for landscapes on color high)
tone hard (increases contrast and color with less noise)
sharpness soft (this does not enhance bad pixels)
noise reduction soft (built in cleaning tool is useless)

I tried your settings they recommended and at 16:9, it is dead dirty. I have a 27 inch hp2709m with gamut 92% and trust me when i tell you i can see everything.

I take pictures at L 4:3 because L16:9 cuts off top and bottom and if I ever want to use wide-screen, i can edit an original. with L 16:9, you can't cuz you have less pixels to play with.

Last edited by Cresho; Aug 2, 2011 at 1:05 PM.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2011, 2:02 PM   #26

Thanks cresho..

so you say:

12MP=16:9, I was using it but I will go back to L 4:3
Image=F
force ISO 100=out, force ISO 400=indoor
Noise red.=soft
Colour=std
Tone=hard
Sharp.=soft
DR=100
Film S=std

What do you mean change according to A,S and P

I would like to use P only for now. I need some good pics before playing around.

I already used 100 out and 400 indoors, I will change to 4:3 again because I like that most.
I used DR100 too.

Question.. indoors do I have to use the built-in flash or it's better with n external one, especially at night when it's darker that late afterrnoon?

I will take some pics tomorrow and post them here.

After that.. I will take a break, because I really cannot think what else I can do.

I have taken 1243 pics.. so I think I did good in 5 days.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 4:37 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresho View Post
well if you want noiseless images at 16:9 aspect ratio, try....
I count on your statement, I do not ask anything else that decent images, maybe not noiseless 100% but almost, at least when good light is there.
Maybe I'll move back to 4:3 cause I cannot see any difference between 4:3 16MP and 16:9 12MP.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 3:45 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimbobo View Post
Thanks cresho..

What do you mean change according to A,S and P

I would like to use P only for now. I need some good pics before playing around.

I already used 100 out and 400 indoors, I will change to 4:3 again because I like that most.
I used DR100 too.

Question.. indoors do I have to use the built-in flash or it's better with n external one, especially at night when it's darker that late afterrnoon?

I will take some pics tomorrow and post them here.

After that.. I will take a break, because I really cannot think what else I can do.

I have taken 1243 pics.. so I think I did good in 5 days.
1.What do you mean change according to A,S and P

apature, shutter, program ae, you can stick with p if you want.

2. Question.. indoors do I have to use the built-in flash or it's better with n external one, especially at night when it's darker that late afterrnoon?

Built in flash is fine. I use it at times but somethings i use exr on very rare occasions. stick with p and use iso auto 1600 if you want but use flash for noiseless shots with iso 100.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2011, 3:51 AM   #29

@cresho
your settings helped to get better quality indoor and outdoor..
I have some comments/questions
1) Outdoor with ISO forced at 100 the cam keep asking me to open the flash, even though there is full daylight as it can be in Scandinavia, clear sharp light.

2) Indoors the quality depends a lot about what I zoom at. I can get noiseless pics (not viewed in full 100%) resolution or/and a bit grainy/noisy one but still not bad. Is there another way, for wide andle and tele (indoor tele is not 30X of course)

3)I miss an "auto Iso 200" option, because outdoor it will help maybe. 100 are a bit darker than I would mean they shou be.

I have until tomorrow to decide, because Amazon DE offered me full refund shipping to germany included, but deadline is not negotiable.

I will play around today to see if I can fine tune a bit these last settings...
Regards
Old Aug 3, 2011, 8:47 AM   #30

I am a bit sad about it, but I decided to send the cam back tomorrow..
After more than 1400 pics I have seen progress in the last hours after Cresho and earlier Photo5 helped me with some settings.
I think I am not "able" to manage the features/options/potential of the camera, and I feel frustrated to see others pics taken by it and then mine where 70% of them are deleted.
I like the cam build too much, really! there is nothing about it that I would complain about, speaking of hardware, buttons and so on.
Even the fact that it uses 4 batteries is a "pro" for me, because I am used to that with the Canons I have had.
I must try something else after summer is over. let's see if a less demanding cam can give me what I need.
I will not exclude the fact that I could by a Fuji again.... maybe an newer HS30 :-)

After almost a week of intense testing... I feel like a reached the point when I am not sure, that I will be happy to keep it.

THANKS to all of you, who gave me advices, comments, settings and "critics".
Special THANKS to Photo5, who sent me PMs and mails and tried to take my hand through the first days.
I will monitor this forum to see.. what happens.
Regards

Last edited by bimbobo; Aug 3, 2011 at 8:49 AM.