Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jan 17, 2004, 9:06 AM   #1

Default XD card and Data Transfer Rate

I just bought a FujiS3000. It is still in the box. I also bought a 256K XD card with it. When I got home with the camera I realized that the XD card does not fit in the slots of my HP PSC 2175 (all in one) printer or my computer media slots. I was assured that this would not be a problem at the store. Yeah right! Both computer and printer are less than 6 months old. I do not want to return the camera, as I do like Fuji products and as a Newbie digital camera user, this seems like a good fit for me.

My question is - is the Data transfer rate faster from a card reader than by using the USB cable from the camera? My husband tends to think that I should return the camera just becoase of the card format. I do not think that this is a valid reason to return an item and I do not have a problem getting a card reader. But do I need to do this NOW!

Thank you for helping this newbie out. I appreciate all the help. I did post this same topic under Newbie help. I really hope to get an answer.
lel02762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 17, 2004, 3:49 PM   #2

Default Re: XD card and Data Transfer Rate

Quote:
Originally Posted by lel02762
I just bought a FujiS3000. It is still in the box. I also bought a 256K XD card with it. When I got home with the camera I realized that the XD card does not fit in the slots of my HP PSC 2175 (all in one) printer or my computer media slots. I was assured that this would not be a problem at the store. Yeah right! Both computer and printer are less than 6 months old. I do not want to return the camera, as I do like Fuji products and as a Newbie digital camera user, this seems like a good fit for me.
Unfortunatly we live in a world were marketing seems to have a greater influence than technology. The printers you bought 6 months ago are probably built with technology from last year. xD-Picture is a new type of flash memory released by Fuji-Olympus for digital cameras. Expect to see xD readers and printers and so on this year (2004).

Quote:
My question is - is the Data transfer rate faster from a card reader than by using the USB cable from the camera? My husband tends to think that I should return the camera just becoase of the card format. I do not think that this is a valid reason to return an item and I do not have a problem getting a card reader. But do I need to do this NOW!
No and Yes. Depends on the reader. If the reader is USB 2.0, then yes, it is a faster, if the reader is USB 1.1 then it's the same as the camera. From my knowledge, only S7000 has an USB 2.0 port.

Returning the camera for the above reason is silly imho, but it all depends on what you want.

Quote:
Thank you for helping this newbie out. I appreciate all the help. I did post this same topic under Newbie help. I really hope to get an answer.
No problem.

I might have a solution for your problem though.

There are these so called adapters, that work in the following way: you take a xD picture card , put it in an adapter and it will work like another flash memory type. From what I know you can find:
a) xD -> Compact Flash (type I i think) adapters
b) xD -> Smart Media adapters

Both are rather inexpensive, and if your printer/reader supports any of them, then the xD cards with the adapter will work too.

Hope it helped...
veedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2004, 5:11 PM   #3

Thank you for your help veedee. I really don't want to return the camera. Like I said, it is my husbands idea. It is interesting to note that the XD card is a NEW type of flash memeory. He was under the impression that it was old technology. I will look into those readers and adapters. Thanks again.
lel02762 is offline   Reply With Quote