Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Sep 26, 2011, 9:46 AM   #1

Default Comments on HS20...???

I already own a Canon G11, and I'm very pleased with it.
Probably now I'm desireing to have more versatility in the wide end, and also a bigger zoom range...I know that a superzoom is not covering all aspects perfectly, but I'm thinking in a superzoom to add to the G11...

In that scenario, the HS10 came to my mind. Then I realized tnat it was replaced by the HS20...

So, now I'm searching for user's comments about the HS20, and its main changes (pros and cons) over the HS10...

Last week I saw that the SX40 was announced by Canon...perhaps I need to wait a little bit until it is launched and comments from real users became available...

Any suggestions in this search???

Regards!

Eugenio
eugeniogurrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 26, 2011, 11:46 AM   #2

well, the camera is out on amazon. Stick with what you have, you will be disappointed with the hs20. Stick with your camera and use adobe or some program to zoom into your subject, crop and cut and you have a new zoomed image. You will get about the same amount of noise.

I like my hs20 but it lacks a good sensor.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2011, 12:01 PM   #3

if you look deep enough, you can find samples of the sx40 hs. I found a few and all i can say is, stay away from that camera if your a pixel peeper.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2011, 2:17 PM   #4

I'm just searching for a camera with good overall behavior...I'm not a fan of MPix races and something like that...I want to spent my money in a camera that deserves that...
Old Sep 26, 2011, 3:34 PM   #5

I really like my HS20. I think it's a very good camera for what it is - a small-sensor camera with an incredible 30X manual-zoom lens. IIRC the G11 has a bigger sensor and probably better overall IQ, but it can't do some things the HS20 can. Personally, I'd keep the G11 and get the HS20 for those occaisions when you need an excellent long-reach lens, which the HS20 has in spades.

I have an HS10 as well and the HS20 is better in just about every way, with these exceptions:

Time to first shot - the HS10 starts up much quicker than the HS20 unless you enable Quick Start mode, but that only works for a maximum of 24 minutes after you turn the camera off, then you have to enable it again. No doubt a power-saving feature but it's a royal PITA.

Focusing in video mode - for some reason, the HS10 focuses much quicker and focus-hunts less than the HS20 when taking videos, especially if you zoom the lens. IQ is about equal.

High-speed video. The HS20 can shoot a maximum of 320fps at 320x112, the HS10 can manage 1000fps at 224x64. Not that big a deal, but there it is.

Build quality - the HS10 feels slightly better in the hand becuase of it's textured body. The top of the HS20 has a rubberized surface, but it's smooth and doesn't feel as grippy. The HS10 looks a little better as well because the gaps between some body parts, notably around the flash and the viewfinder eye-piece are much tighter than on the HS20. Also, the HS10's dark-chrome shutter button and 4-way controller look classier and more expensive than the HS20's shiny black ones.

'Fun' modes - the HS10 has feaures like multi-motion capture and motion-remover that weren't included with the HS20.

On the other hand, the HS20 focuses much more quickly when taking photos, especially in low light. The HS20 is very responsive, much more so than the HS10. IQ is better, especially in less than ideal lighting where the EXR sensor really seems to get the job done. The LCD and viewfinder are much improved, the batteries seem to last longer and it finally has a dedicated flash hotshoe.

I hope that helps a little.
Fujifilm FinePix HS10, Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR, Pentax E-80 P&S, Sunpak auto383 flash, Optex slave flash, Velbon VGB3 heavy-metal tripod, TechPro TP-242 tripod with B62 ballhead, assorted filters and other bits.

Last edited by toshi43; Sep 26, 2011 at 3:43 PM.
toshi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2011, 5:06 PM   #6

Hi eugeniogurrea- stick with your G11. You won't put up with the drop in IQ.
If you want a decent "bridge" camera,I'd go and hunt out a good second hand Fujifilm S200exr. Not quite as long at the zoom end as some today,but is the best "all rounder" I've used by a mile- and is a pretty well built beast...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2011, 5:59 PM   #7

I'd keep the G11 and get an HS20. The HS 20 is better in almost every way over the HS10 in my opinion. What the HS10 did better was time to first shot was a little quicker and it also has a 2x digital zoom feature that I loved, the HS20 lacks that. The HS20 feels as solid as the HS10 in my hand..... The HS20 in my opinion is very very good camera. Many people say their is an IQ problem but neither me or my editor at the local newspaper find any problem with it. I use my HS20 mainly for newspaper work. My HS10 say almost 34,000 images and my HS20 is above 14,000 now. With the exception of shooting sports the camera gives me everything I need. Sure I can get a few good sports shots during a high school football game, but its not a sports camera.

The G11 from everything I have read and heard is a good if you don;t need a long zoom..... to that point I;d keep using it as much as you can and get the HS20 to fill those times when need to zoom a long way out (wildlife, zoo, child in a school function and you have a back row set).

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2011, 7:37 AM   #8

Thank you all for your comments.

I agree that I must keep my G11 and add a bridge superzoom.
I will put an eye on the HS20, and will wait a few weeks until having feedback from SX40.

Any further comments are always welcomed.

Regards!