Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jan 19, 2004, 11:17 PM   #1

Default Fuji 602 - AE-L (need help)

:?:
Fuji 602 - Need help.....

The manual said on the page 47:

"With AE-L button held down, press the sutter button down halfway to focus the shot and then compose the shot again."

then below as a NOTE it said:

[!] Once you press the shutter button down halfway, the exposure remains locked even if you release the AE-L button.

For me it does not work. As soon as I release the AE-L button the exposition changes - it is not locked. I think I do the sequense as the manual advices.

Leo
LeoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 20, 2004, 2:52 AM   #2

Well it works for me! If I press the AE-L button in Auto mode AND KEEP IT HELD DOWN, the bottom of the display flags that it's locked. I move the camera about (which is why you might need it) and the exposure stays locked, but half pressing the shutter afterwards still allows AF to refocus. If I half press the shutter AND keep the AF-Lock button down, then both focus/exposure and possibly white bal are all locked.

Perhaps you were expecting the AE-L button to toggle - which might have been useful sometimes? VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2004, 8:45 AM   #3

voxmagna,
The AE-L works as long as I hold this button pressed. But as soon as I release it even after pressing the shutter half way once (locking the AE) the AE does not lock. The manual said that I can release the AE-L button after the shutter button pressed half way because after that AE should be locked. That part does not work for me. Does it work for you as manual said (page 47)?
Thanks
Leo
Old Jan 20, 2004, 3:26 PM   #4

Default Hmmm

Seems to work for me. Are you depressing the shutter button enough to keep it in the halfway position? I sometimes don't, and it slips out of the halfway position. The green light should continuosly blink while the shutter is in halfway position.

Are you in still shot or movie mode?
JerryF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2004, 4:15 PM   #5

LeoB, I think there's a mistake in the manual. If you just half press the shutter, then you acquire both focus lock, WB and exposure. Keeping your finger on the half press allows you to move the camera and keep the setting you first locked on to for one shot only.

However, once you take the shot, the next half press will re-acquire a new focus/white bal and exposure. This is no good if you were doing say 3 shots to zip and make a pano. As I said, my AE-L does NOT Toggle - you have to keep the button pressed all the time, but then you can take several shots until your finger gets tired!

JerryF.......are you saying that once you take your finger off the AE-L button, the AE-L flag at the bottom of the lcd stays on and exposure remains locked until you press the AE-L button again?? VOX
Old Jan 20, 2004, 5:44 PM   #6

I don't think there's a mistake in the manual. The feature of the halfway-pressed shutter button is, and should be, for one particular shot.

Keeping the AE-L button pressed would be for "3 shots to zip and make a pano."

And, no, the AE-L flag at the bottom of the LCD does not stay on. It is not a toggle.
Old Jan 20, 2004, 7:40 PM   #7

VOX and JerryF,
The AE function works while I hold the AE-L button. The half pressing of the shutter button does not lock the AE and the E/L sign disappears from the display as soon as I release the AE-L button.
The green LED starts flashing as soon as the shutter button is pressed half way with AE-L pressed or not.
Leo
Old Jan 21, 2004, 9:21 AM   #8

When you have the shutter button pressed halfway and then release the AE-L button, even though the icon disappears, the exposure settings shouldn't change---move the camera around to lighter or darker areas (best to do this indoors) to see if the aperture and shutter settings change.
Old Jan 21, 2004, 8:43 PM   #9

JerryF,
I have set the camera to the P mode, point to the subject the shutter showed 1/160 and the aperture was 2.8. Then I pressed the AE-L button and released it only after pressing the shutter button half way and releasing it. Pointed to a different subject and exposition changed. I have repeated it for different modes (A, S and Auto) and the result was the same. Does your 602 locks the exposure and holds it after the AE-L button released.? If it does then my camera is defective.
Thanks
Leo
Old Jan 22, 2004, 7:39 AM   #10

LeoB, My 602 does the same as yours, so I must have a defective camera as well. From memory, my firmware is version 1 and I'm not aware of any changes for newer 602's. I've had my camera about 18 months and everything else works fine. VOX