Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Oct 23, 2011, 6:47 PM   #1

Default HS20 Smearing

Hi, I got my HS20 a few days ago and I'm having a problem with smearing. The pictures look great when viewing them on the computer until I increase them to actual size then they look almost like a painting rather than a photo.

I've tried various settings and scenes and have found the effect is worst when shooting into trees. I mainly take pictures of birds so most of my shots are from the ground looking up into trees. The ones I've taken of birds on the ground, in ponds or in bull rushes are fine. I'm wondering if the effect is caused by all the different shades of light coming through the foliage?

The best results I've had are with the camera in EXR d-range priority, noise reduction low but the smearing is still very noticable. Is there anything else I can try?

I'm definitely no photographic expert, my main interest is birds and the camera is just to keep a record of what I see, my previous camera was a canon powershot s2 and I don't think I ever took it off auto so I'm not blaming the camera.

John
Triker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 23, 2011, 8:13 PM   #2

What I suspect you're seeing is the effects of noise reduction- more noticeable the more you zoom in....(on your monitor).
This will increase as you use higher iso values.
So in essence- keep your iso settings as low as the available light allows and for the shutter speed required- and noise reduction at its lowest setting.
However,pixel peeping is not a good idea on small sensors with very high pixel counts- they always seem to utilise quite aggressive smoothing and can result in the effect you mention.
Besides- haven't you got enough zoom on camera to negate the need to zoom on screen...??

P.S- on a Fuji S200EXR I once had,I found the best results were achieved utilising the highest resolution available(12mp on S200),using Aperture or shutter priority- or Program for static subjects.
I thought the EXR modes were useless,frankly....!!

Last edited by SIMON40; Oct 23, 2011 at 8:19 PM.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2011, 12:11 PM   #3

s200exr has a much better sensor. hs20exr fails badly if you pixel peep. I suggest you reduce sharpeneing and noise reduction on the camera to the lowest settings. You bought a small sensor camera. If you pixel peep, you should of gone for dslr

EXR mode is useless to an extent.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2011, 8:12 PM   #4

Hi, thanks for the tips... is clicking actual size in windows photo viewer considered pixel peeping? Took about 150 pics this morning and tried P mode with noise reduction and sharpness set to low, iso auto 400. The results were much better then I've been getting. After lunch I might go for another walk and try M mode.
Thanks again, John.
Triker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2011, 8:22 PM   #5

hs20exr is an excellent camera. Have fun! P mode is nice in 400 or even 800 iso. Sometimes i use even higher. Manual mode, fun fun fun.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 2:12 PM   #6

Hi John I see your interested in bird photography and have a hs20,have you tried manual mode?
I've had my HS20 for about 3 months now and I have to say 'at first' I was not over impressed with it,but after trying all the various settings, and ready to accept it as just average ,I discovered manual mode,and it was one of those 'eureka moments'. Ever since then I love this camera.I've had none of the problems with overheating(maybe mine is a later model) and the focusing is fine.I think the 30x barrel zoom is just so versatile and I've had some stunning images even at full zoom.Here's a link to my Flickr page to take a look.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/6642833...57627438645162.
I would suggest, anyone who has this camera and is not happy, to try the manual mode and with some trial and error you will be surprised..
Attached Images

tonysturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2011, 3:52 PM   #7

excellent shot!
Old Nov 2, 2011, 3:58 PM   #8

G'day Triker

Firstly mate ~ Welcome to the forum
Second ... can you post some images showing us what you're worried about
3rd - I will PM you as well..

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote