Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Nov 14, 2011, 10:27 AM   #1

Default Fujifilm HS20EXR LCD Blacking Out

Hi,
I'm new to the forum here. Just got a brand new HS20 last week and I am starting to spend some time trying to get familiar with it.

Yesterday I was outside taking some photos of my dog and I was using the flip screen at an angle so I could hold the camera low, closer to his level. There were some times when I was trying to set up shots and focus the camera that the LCD screen intermitently went completly black for a few seconds and then came back on. Is this something I should be concerned about? Was it a case of operator error - did I do something wrong or do you think something may be wrong with the screen? It did not exhibit this problem when it was tucked into it's normal position and it only happened intermitently when I had it extended.

Has anyone else had this happen?

Thanks in advance!
Tony
shiek_yerbouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 14, 2011, 10:39 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiek_yerbouti View Post
Hi,
I'm new to the forum here. Just got a brand new HS20 last week and I am starting to spend some time trying to get familiar with it.

Yesterday I was outside taking some photos of my dog and I was using the flip screen at an angle so I could hold the camera low, closer to his level. There were some times when I was trying to set up shots and focus the camera that the LCD screen intermitently went completly black for a few seconds and then came back on. Is this something I should be concerned about? Was it a case of operator error - did I do something wrong or do you think something may be wrong with the screen? It did not exhibit this problem when it was tucked into it's normal position and it only happened intermitently when I had it extended.

Has anyone else had this happen?

Thanks in advance!
Tony
Hi shiek,
I think you'll probably find you have your hand near the viewfinder sensor, which will automatically switch the screen off and the viewfinder on

Tony ..
Old Nov 14, 2011, 2:29 PM   #3

G'day sheik aka tony

I'd say that tony (2) has got it on-the-button
Also - in the setup menu is a time-out option to power off the viewfinder after 2-5 minutes to save battery power. You might also like to look at this option as well

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2011, 5:39 PM   #4

I third this information
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2011, 6:25 PM   #5

Thanks guys for your help. You are right. It was me - not the camera. I'm glad it's not a malfunction! My original question seems a little funny now that I know what the problem was!
shiek_yerbouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2011, 4:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiek_yerbouti View Post
Thanks guys for your help. You are right. It was me - not the camera. I'm glad it's not a malfunction! My original question seems a little funny now that I know what the problem was!
Done it myself,
When I first got the camera it gave me a fright as well thinking it was faulty..
Old Nov 15, 2011, 11:12 AM   #7

hey tonysturn, just checked out your "stuff". You are one of those rare guys who have an "eye" for pictures. Very good stuff!
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2011, 4:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresho View Post
hey tonysturn, just checked out your "stuff". You are one of those rare guys who have an "eye" for pictures. Very good stuff!
Well thanks Cresho, that's a really nice thing to say ....
Old Nov 15, 2011, 4:35 PM   #9

The question may seem dumb to you now but you had the question and asked it The way I look at things like this is maybe someone else will have same question or have learned something from my post. Don't sweat it at all. I have an HS20 now as back-up camera and I love it. I am sure it will bring you many happy photographic memories in the near and far future.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote